Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any decent pubs in Brixton close to the Tube station ?

Seeing New Order at The Academy on Thursday. I'm yet to find a good pub right there by the stations & The Academy. Anyone know of one, that they've been to in the last 6 months ?

Comments

• Options
    Usually just go to the Wetherspoons up there. There's no 'nice' pubs, that's just the best of a bad bunch.
  • Options
    Trinity Arms on Trinity Gardens, not too far from the tube station is ok.
  • Options
    Usually just go to the Wetherspoons up there. There's no 'nice' pubs, that's just the best of a bad bunch.
    Yeah, that's what I always do & had planned to do. But thought there has to be something better that is closeby.
    Looked on BITE & some of the other pubs reviewed were talking about clientelle with crack pipes, prossies, beggars.
    So I gave up & thought I'd ask on here.
  • Options
    I second Trinity Arms. It's busy, but not super crowded or filled with ijeots. Place to stand without feeling an utter prune... that's if you have the decency and thought to at least accomodate people trying to get past. Something that the numpties in Wetherspoons struggle to understand.
  • Options
    never seen so many wrongens in one place than that weatherspoons. considering i went to a trance rave in the academy after thats saying something.
  • Options
    Yep, that sounds like Brixton. Don't bother looking for decent pubs within about a two mile radius - there aren't any. Only good boozers anywhere near are in Clapham
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Canterbury Arms. Next to the Old Bill station. Proper Irish boozer.
  • Options
    Agreed. Used it for many years when based in Brixton and lost many a game of darts in the 'public'. A good Young's local, though I'm not sure what the beer situation is now as they were giving up the brewing business but retaining the pubs. But if you drink lager I don't suppose it matters. Regularly recommended in CAMRA's Good Beer Guide. Can't think of another decent one anywhere near the tube.

• Options
    Thanks lads. The Trinity Arms looks really good & has got excellent reviews. I shall report back in due course.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/16/1661/Trinity_Arms/Brixton

• Options
    Slightly different option if it's on your way. Have a look at the Half Moon in Herne Hill. 2 min walk to Herne Hill station and get your timings right you'll be at the gig in ten mins. Great pint of Guinness and magic pizzas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also, does anyone know of any tips to get CE to buy a round?
  • Options
    Also, does anyone know of any tips to get CE to buy a round?
    Last round I bought in The Oak after Wycombe game was £39.60 !
  • Options
    Been in the Half Moon a few times before Faces, very decent.
  • Options
    Try The Priory in Stockwell, best pub in the area by some distance and only about a 15 minute walk away
  • Options
    Half moon is nice, quite pricey though. Im sure there is a decent pub next to the kfc cant remember whats its called though. Turn left outside station and its about a minute walk.
  • Options
    Left towards the academy is a place called plan b. Is a bar but normally have bogof offers on. Most people going to the gig will drink there....
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I usually just go to the crappy Irish one by the police station, but this one has had a revamp and might be worth a visit.
    Seeing New Order tomorrow :-)
    No Hooky :-(
  • Options
    @nicholas. The prince - my favourite pub in brixton.
  • Options
    Agreed. Used it for many years when based in Brixton and lost many a game of darts in the 'public'. A good Young's local, though I'm not sure what the beer situation is now as they were giving up the brewing business but retaining the pubs. But if you drink lager I don't suppose it matters. Regularly recommended in CAMRA's Good Beer Guide. Can't think of another decent one anywhere near the tube.

I was based in Brixton 1979 to 85ish and the "Trin" was our regular watering hole. Used to be a great boozer. You can tell how good it was - John Young himself used to pop in for Christmas eve.
  • Options
    @olster ahh yes the prince thats it cheers mate.

There used to be a cracking pub oppisit the weatherspoons big old thing that used to do really cheap drinks but closed down a few years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dog star and others down that road are great if you want loud music, high prices and bar staff that think that they're doing you a massive favour. If you go past the academy and into stockwell there's a lot of great portugese bars and restaurants that won't be overrun by riffraff. The weatherspoons is a hellish dump.
  • Options
    Shocking thread, there's loads of decent pubs around there, it also has some of the best nightlife in London!
  • Options
    The Trinity is good as a local pub. The Effra is better, though another 5 mins walk away. Prince Albert is fine too, also Dogstar if you want a more lively crowd.

Agree with Friend or Defoe, there are loads of good places to drink in and around Brixton plus some of the best food in the capital in the revamped Brixton Market.
  • Options
    Not sure if its been suggested already, but the Wetherspoons is the best for location. You get the usual herberts in there, but when there's a gig at The Academy it gets watered down by people using it who are going to the gig.
  • Options
    I usually go in the Canterbury Arms. A nothing special pub, but you get served pretty quickly even when its busy. Really close the Academy as well.
  • Options
    I usually go in the Canterbury Arms. A nothing special pub, but you get served pretty quickly even when its busy. Really close the Academy as well.
    That's the one I meant! Like it in there, proper pint of Guinness too.
  • Options
    Canterbury Arms. Next to the Old Bill station. Proper Irish boozer.
    It's where I go
  • Options
    I tend to go to the 02 2-3 times a year and normally opt for the Beehive on Brixton rd (2 mins walk from the 02). If it's too busy then it's on to the Canterbury arms.
  • Options
    The Hive is a brilliant little upstairs bar on Station Road......only 30 seconds walk (but light years away) from the Spoons.

Gotta agree with Jints and FOD.....Brixton has some fantastic pubs.
  • Options
    Ok, I'm on my way soon. I'll try & visit The Canterbury Arms, Plan B & Trinity Arms & report back tomorrow.
    It's a tough job but someones got to do it.