Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Subbuteo Anyone?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Loved Subbuteo, even had the 'artifical' pitch when Plastic Pitches were becoming the rage in the mid 80's!

Beatties in Lewisham was the go to shop. I had the scoreboard (where you had sheets and sheets of team names that you had to cut out and slot on the board......I always remember laughing at the team Grass Hoppers!)

Also had grand stands, corner terraces, the TV crew, warm up subs, police and floodlights that used to get through a ton of batteries......brilliant times!
  • Options
    Nice to know there's so many kindred spirits out there. Used to play subbuteo with my best friend (who has now introduced me to Charlton Life) - crowd noises, commentaries, endless arguments - great fun. And of course endless happy hours playing with myself too.

Just dug out this "Owzthat" cricket game. Used to keep all the scores. Remember a five match test series between a team of pop stars (I think Lena Zavaroni opened the batting) and a World Leaders X1.

Owzthat - brilliant - hours of fun! :-)
  • Options

Re subbuteo cricket, I used to spit on the wicket to create a damp pitch, in the hope that Derek Underwood would get loads of turn. Ended up wearing a hole in the baize, sadly.
    Now that really is sad.

Hours and hours of good clean fun though!
  • Options
    I used to play the previous version of Subbuteo - Newfooty. Same principle except that the players' bodies were a piece of perspex. I had Burnley and Spurs - the two teams that competed the 1962 FA Cup Final.

I remember Newfooty well because i used to play for hours. Before that there was a game who's name i cannot remember. It came out in the late fifties where your had a magnet on a stick under a little football pitch table. Your player or players also had a magnet so you could control them. Your opponent had the same thing but with different polarity. In other words you could only control your own players.
    I have been racking my brains to remember the name of the game. If my dear old Dad was still here I would ask him because he paid the princely sum of 10 shillings for this toy. I still think the sly old sod bought for him rather than me.
    Whilst writing this it has just come to me

Soccerette or Socceroo maybe ????
  • Options
    The astroturf, unlike the real thing at the time was a brilliant surface to play subbuteo on - originals in good condition go for a fair bit now. The german game like striker- am I right in thinking the ball wasn't round? I remember a german game where it had lots of flat edges.

Another set you can but now which is like Subbuteo is a Spanish version called Total Football. I bought a set (Spain v Argentina World Cup) for 10 euros (Pitch, detailed teams, world cup ball). They had loads and I regret not buying more as they go for about £40 here! Although would have been a job to get loads of boxes back via Ryanair.

One thing that puzzles me is that the modern equivalents to Subbuteo you can by have flatter bases, where as the good old originals had bases where you could get great curve with you man. It is impossible with the new basis. What puzzles me is how is this better, you could still kick the ball staright with the old ones. Can anybody enlighten me?
  • Options
    As for the super cup football shown above- it was after my time but bought one in a car boot sale for a £1 -not working. All it needed was new batteries and it is in original box and has all players, spare palyers and balls. See how much they are going for on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Electronic-Tomy-Super-Cup-Football-Game-Complete-Working-Boxed-/170840846345?pt=UK_Toys_Creative_Educational_RL&hash=item27c6e87009
    If you see one at a car boot buy it!!!
  • Options
    Super cup football! That's what it was called. Yeah, loved that
  • Options

Waddingtons Table Soccer. Like tiddlywinks but surprisingly addictive. Was one of my favourite games.

oldfootballgames.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=124659

• Options
  • Options
    Ha! I bought this very game from a car boot sale last month! When I was about 12 I used to play it with my sister's then boyfriend who later became my brother-in-law. He used to come round to see her and end up playing this with me for an hour before they went out. We still joke about it thirty years later and reminisce about the stupid team names we made up and how we made the crowd noises etc. (When I saw the game at the boot sale, I bought it to give to my brother-in-law, but I'm not sure I can part with it now!)
    Great game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only played once and my dad smashed em up... that was a good christmas
  • Options
    Also, in my set the bowler had an extra bit on the front for the caught and bowled.
    Mine too. I would have positioned the fielders nearer the bowler on that set up!
  • Options
    Thats right a white attachment for caught and bowleds. I fixed my cricket pitch to the otehr side of my subbuteo board. Both games much better without the creases.
  • Options
    Loved it, teams cost 10s 6d and then with decimalisation 52.5p. Patrick Thistle and Bishops Auckland were my favourites, araldite a&b to make repairs. Endless hours f fun and an element of skill too.

Did anybody have Subbuteo Angling? Great picture card graphics

Another game board game I played to death was Chartbuster, make your record and get to number 1 in the pop charts
  • Options
    Think thats Simon Cowells job nowadays.
  • Options
    I used to play the previous version of Subbuteo - Newfooty. Same principle except that the players' bodies were a piece of perspex. I had Burnley and Spurs - the two teams that competed the 1962 FA Cup Final.

I remember Newfooty well because i used to play for hours. Before that there was a game who's name i cannot remember. It came out in the late fifties where your had a magnet on a stick under a little football pitch table. Your player or players also had a magnet so you could control them. Your opponent had the same thing but with different polarity. In other words you could only control your own players.
    I have been racking my brains to remember the name of the game. If my dear old Dad was still here I would ask him because he paid the princely sum of 10 shillings for this toy. I still think the sly old sod bought for him rather than me.
    Whilst writing this it has just come to me

Soccerette or Socceroo maybe ????
    Yes I had that too. Soccerette sounds right to me but I'm not 100% sure