Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jamie Vardy

124»

Comments

• Options
    Jeez the world has officially gone mad - £1m for non league players.
    _MrDick said:
    For Stuart Fleetwood or Chris Dixson, read James Vardy. Good at Conference level but the step up to the Championship is a big one for a striker. £1m is a lot of money so time will tell if this is a success or not.
    I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but do you think Leicester got value for money?
    I think the answer to that, 9 years on, is obvious. But how many others have made that leap from non-league to league winner in that time?

And yeah, I still think £1m for a 25 year old non-league player is crazy money. Maybe I wouldn't if we were throwing big money around on squad players and taking gambles on kids so fully accept my value for money meter may need a reset. 
    In most cases it’s crazy money but Vardy is an example why each player needs to be judged individually. He had the pace and enough in the rest of his game to make the step up.

Meanwhile we spent a similar amount on McLeod who gave impression we didn’t properly scout him.
  • Options
    Saw this under "General Charlton" category and wondered if Thomas had found his cheque book. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    _MrDick said:
    For Stuart Fleetwood or Chris Dixson, read James Vardy. Good at Conference level but the step up to the Championship is a big one for a striker. £1m is a lot of money so time will tell if this is a success or not.
    I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but do you think Leicester got value for money?
    probably the best value for money signing in premier league history. Struggling to think of anyone else who comes close.
    Eric Cantona. £1.2M
    Peter Schmeichel. £505k
    I suppose you have to consider the value of £1 at the time United signed those two. 

Absolutely. Still banging value for money considering their influence, though.
    Would be great to know how much Cantona and Schmeichel would go for in the modern day

I know Peter came from Denmark so his valuation would still be pretty low but would surely be one of the most expensive Goalkeepers in the world if someone were to try and pry him away from Man Utd.
    I guess back then there were much less foreigners coming to the Prem. Scouting abroad was only really possible for the bigger clubs and much less video footage/data to analyse. Now it's much easier spot a talent, hence why the bigger clubs indeed are hoovering up talent, whether that's in our lower league or abroad. 

Brondby weren't a bad side when United signed Schmeichel, and he was already a Danish international, Utd just got a good deal and he obviously improved too. I don't think Leicester got a bad deal with Schmeichel Jnr either, he's not done badly there!
    Leicester have done really well out of Kasper, one of my favourite players out there

He had a bit of a stop / start time in the Football League almost at the beginning of his career so he's done well extremely well in that regard... Although was equally unlucky that he ended up competing with Joe Hart for the No.1 jersey @ Man City, especially when you consider that Kasper is now in a better position.
    Whoever makes their signings is a genius.

Vardy, Kante, Mahrez, Maguire, Schmeichel, Soyuncu, Ndidi, Maddison, Tielemans.

Hard to think of a club that gets signings right more often than them. Obviously i'm talking in the price range they shop at, not the big 6 splashing 50m+ on players.
  • Options
    they do seem to have an incredible record when it comes to signings
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    _MrDick said:
    probably the best value for money signing in premier league history. Struggling to think of anyone else who comes close.
    Eric Cantona. £1.2M
    Peter Schmeichel. £505k
    I suppose you have to consider the value of £1 at the time United signed those two. 

Would be great to know how much Cantona and Schmeichel would go for in the modern day

I know Peter came from Denmark so his valuation would still be pretty low but would surely be one of the most expensive Goalkeepers in the world if someone were to try and pry him away from Man Utd.
    I guess back then there were much less foreigners coming to the Prem. Scouting abroad was only really possible for the bigger clubs and much less video footage/data to analyse. Now it's much easier spot a talent, hence why the bigger clubs indeed are hoovering up talent, whether that's in our lower league or abroad. 

Brondby weren't a bad side when United signed Schmeichel, and he was already a Danish international, Utd just got a good deal and he obviously improved too. I don't think Leicester got a bad deal with Schmeichel Jnr either, he's not done badly there!
    Leicester have done really well out of Kasper, one of my favourite players out there

He had a bit of a stop / start time in the Football League almost at the beginning of his career so he's done well extremely well in that regard... Although was equally unlucky that he ended up competing with Joe Hart for the No.1 jersey @ Man City, especially when you consider that Kasper is now in a better position.

Hard to think of a club that gets signings right more often than them. Obviously i'm talking in the price range they shop at, not the big 6 splashing 50m+ on players.
    Ndidi especially, to find someone that could adequately replace Kante, when Arsenal have found it impossible to replace Patrick Vieira is impressive. Didnt Everton or someone pinch the bloke that was head scout at Leicester as well so they've done well to even keep that going.

Tielemans is always the one that baffles me, a bit like Ruben Neves (I know Jorge Mendez helped) but how neither of those two have been picked up by a traditional top four team just baffles me - Funnily I dont even know why the former would need to leave Leicester for one of them as well if they continue to challenge up there.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    _MrDick said:
    Eric Cantona. £1.2M
    Peter Schmeichel. £505k

Ndidi especially, to find someone that could adequately replace Kante, when Arsenal have found it impossible to replace Patrick Vieira is impressive. Didnt Everton or someone pinch the bloke that was head scout at Leicester as well so they've done well to even keep that going.

Tielemans is always the one that baffles me, a bit like Ruben Neves (I know Jorge Mendez helped) but how neither of those two have been picked up by a traditional top four team just baffles me - Funnily I dont even know why the former would need to leave Leicester for one of them as well if they continue to challenge up there.
    I don't disagree about Tielemans but he got a big move to Monaco at 20 and flopped. They still made money on him but were seemingly very happy to offload. He was a punt from Leicester because he had the ability it was a lot of money for someone who looked better at 19 than he did 22. Fortunately it's paid off, top player. 

I think he's better than Neves, I never actually see what Neves does. He's tidy and hits the occasional worldie, but I don't think he's that good to be honest. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Eric Cantona. £1.2M
    Peter Schmeichel. £505k
    the prize money for winning the premier league was a lot less then - much bigger return nowadays, then you've also got the prize money for being in the prem (vardy helped get them there in the first place), I also reckon man utd would've had better odds on winning the premier league than leicester if they'd never signed those two. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    _MrDick said:
    Eric Cantona. £1.2M
    Peter Schmeichel. £505k

Yep, and he was terrible for them and only lasted two seasons (though he claims he recommended Everton sign Andy Robertson, Harry Maguire and Erling Haaland but was turned down). Just goes to show how good the overall setup at Leicester is