Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bradley Pritchard - BBC Article

Comments

• Options
    made me cry
  • Options
    only a complete scumbag can read that and not cry imo
  • Options
    That rare beast - an intelligent, articulate footballer.
  • Options
    A heart warming story, though it's very tempting to start chanting 'Statto!' now!

I bet he becomes a good manager or coach as well.
  • Options
    Love the guy!
  • Options
    Bradley is someone who realises how lucky he is to be playing the game. Articulate but knows the game as well. A far cry from the mercenaries we had playing at this club not so long ago. What a great guy and I hope he goes on to be a legend! Still needs a bit of beefing up though!!
  • Options
    Really hope he makes the step up next season. One of football's good guys.
  • Options
    Firstly hope he does well next season and secondly hope he sticks around for a long time. Seems a realy good guy and definitely not a piss taker which is a rarity in the modern game.

• Options
    Looked our best player in the Fulham game.
  • Options
    He is a good player, who I think will get much better, he is also as mad as a bag of frogs and a really nice lad, good luck to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looked our best player in the Fulham game.
  • Options
    Been a real find and proved even we can find gems in non league. Hope he steps up next season.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tamworth/8672387.stm 2 years before and this shows how he has progressed in his career.
  • Options
    Can someone c+p the article please, my VPN is going crazy and won't let me on the BBC website.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Truly the stuff of fairy tales. Everything I hear about Pritchard is like this, I've never heard anything bad or arrogant. I really hope everything goes well for that lad next year.

Footballs a funny game, I reckon Pritchard oozes talent - yet he's such a lovely chap. Then you have someone like Clarke, who is awful - yet oozes arrogance. Pritchard truly is one of the good guys, and seemingly a rarity at that.

Was interesting that DnR were interested too!
    Can someone c+p the article please, my VPN is going crazy and won't let me on the BBC website.
    Here you go matey.
    Little more than a year ago Bradley Pritchard was playing for Hayes & Yeading in the Blue Square Bet Premier, while also trying to find a 9-5 job after graduating from university. Now he is preparing for next season's Championship campaign with Charlton.

The 26-year-old, who studied sports science for five years, had spent his whole career in non-League football, playing while also doing his degree, which he finished in 2010.

"I played for Nuneaton and Tamworth during my time at Loughborough University," he told BBC Sport. "Once I finished my education I joined the thousands of graduates who left university and had no idea what to do next.

"So to earn some money while I was looking for that 9-5 job, I joined Hayes & Yeading.

"While I was at Hayes I applied for every graduate job available. I thought I'd spread my bets really and hope something would pay off. I did want to be involved in performance analysis within sport but, as they say, 'beggars can't be choosers'."

Pritchard scored 14 goals from midfield for the part-time London side that season and caught the eye of the Charlton scouts, who were also aware of his work off the field.

The Zimbabwean worked with the club as a performance analyst on a voluntary basis in 2010-11: "I collected all of the statistical data of the players and tried to find areas that were of particular significance. I also compared our style of play with opponents over the course of the season.

"I spoke with the management team mainly, although I did provide some feedback to individual players when and if they were interested in their own performances.

"That was the initial contact I had with the scouting department, who began watching me after a few good performances, according to some papers.

"Towards the end of the season I went in to train with Gillingham, then a few days later the Conference season finished, which is when I trained with Charlton for their final week. Dagenham & Redbridge had asked me to play in a friendly post-season, but once I found out that Charlton were interested, every other option became redundant."

He readily admits that he never expected to be snapped up by a Football League club at his age.

"The several job applications I sent out during my time at Hayes would clarify that I had no expectations of playing any higher than I was," he said. "The only expectations I had of playing in the Football League were through promotions. I didn't think anyone would want to take the gamble.

"There are many differences between my non-league and Football League experiences. They would go from drying my washed kit on the car radiator as I drove to training, to playing in front of 26,000 fans."

Afraid of being seen as "the analyst who just got lucky", Pritchard expected to be sent out on loan. He made only four appearances before breaking his metatarsal in September.

However after almost two months out, he came back and established himself as a regular - making a further 21 appearances, with 17 of those coming after the turn of the year, as Charlton won the League One title.

"With us signing so many players with the quality and experience that Championship clubs would envy, I anticipated very few opportunities to play," he said. "I thought I may have to go on loan early in the season to stay fit, but the gaffer [Chris Powell] spoke to me and said he didn't want me to go on loan and that I was part of his plans.

"That was a huge psychological boost for me because every player wants to be part of a team where he feels wanted.

"My original ambition when I signed was just to be accepted by the other players as another player, and not the analyst who just got lucky, but once I made my debut, my goals then changed, and all I wanted to do was play as many games as possible.

"But with all that in mind, I definitely didn't think I would have played in the games against both Sheffield clubs and then in the games where we won promotion and the title.

"This season for me started from complete ignorance. I didn't know what to expect and so I had no idea how things would go. The upcoming season is very much the same. All I can do is wait till I'm called upon, then give everything I have to help the team achieve and hope it is good enough. If I can do that and enjoy the experience that is afforded to me, then I will be satisfied on a personal level."

Pritchard's success at club level has led to an international call-up - for Zimbabwe, the country he left as a child.

"It makes me as proud and as humble as I could feel," he said. "I didn't think the Zimbabwean FA knew much of me, so a call-up was just as unexpected as the news of Chris Powell offering me a contract last year."
  • Options
    That is some story
  • Options
    I said on another thread after the Carlisle game that you could just see the look of absolute joy on his face at the final whistle and the way he celebrated told you how much it meant to him. The story really does sum him up...a fantastic young man, who relishes every minute he gets on the pitch and knows how lucky he is to be living a dream.

In a brilliant season, it's often hard to narrow down the stand-out moments when there are so many. Watching Bradley come through, take his chance and see him play the game with a huge smile on his face is definitely one of them though!
  • Options
    Great story, I rate the bloke and hope he gets even better. In some ways his story emulates Ian Wrights! Apart form Wright cannot add up! Maybe!
  • Options
    Loved it when he scored against Halifax. The reaction of the whole team / bench said it all
  • Options
    I think there is a lot more to come from him. I first saw him play in the Reading Cup game and you could see that he had something about him. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a starter next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are a few interviews we did with him on the club site, the best his Bradley with Cedric Evina discussing the fact they room together on away trips, a smashing lad, really likeable.
  • Options
    He is an old school Charlton player. Seems to love it here, seems to appreciate the club, the fans etc
  • Options
    A top, top bloke and a real credit to football.
  • Options
    We now need a song for him.
  • Options
    Brad Pritchard Pritchard
    He’s better than Frank Lampard
    And even Steve Gerrard
    Brad Pritchard Pritchard
  • Options
    Brad Pritchard Pritchard
    He’s better than Steve Gerrard
    He's small but he's f*****g
    Brad Pritchard Pritchard

• Options
    Brad Pritchard Pritchard
    Much better than Steve Gerrard
    Much thinner Frank Lampard
    Brad Pritchard Pritchard
  • Options
    Brad Pritchard Pritchard
    Brad Pritchard Pritchard
    yep like that better. Humourous, without swearing so all can join in.

• Options
    great read and he really comes accross well
  • Options
    Brad Pritchard Pritchard
    Brad Pritchard Pritchard
    yep like that better. Humourous, without swearing so all can join in.

dont knock over your flask whilst you do it.