Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What signings do we want to see?

edited May 2012 in General Charlton
Seeing how we seem to have more money than we first thought, what players do we REALLY want to see next season?

Comments

• Options
    Drogba for starters, followed up by Bale as back up to Johnny Jackson , and Darren Purse perhaps...
  • Options
    Sam Baldock
    Liam Lawrence
    Jonjo Shelvey (loan)
    Anthony Wordsworth
  • Options
    Owen? Oh wait's he's too good for the championship (self-professed)
  • Options
    Le fondre proved for reading given half a chance he can score goals at this level
  • Options
    Hesky is on a free. Could do worse?
  • Options
    RVP
  • Options
    no couldn't do worse
  • Options
    wordsworth
    osborne
    rhodes/austin/rodriguez
  • Options
    Have done worse! The names Hasselbaink and Bent M. come to mind!
  • Options
    Koren
    Austin
    Dicker
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Antonio...Just to pizz off the Wendies
  • Options
    So roughly how much money do we have then?

Putting aside the obvious jokes like RVP and Bale, some of the names listed are surely WAY out of our league.

Rhodes, Austin, Rodriguez...none of these would even consider coming to us.
  • Options
    Matt Kilgallon
    Antonio/Kebe
    Wordsworth
    Austin (although highly doubt it would happen)
  • Options
    Antonio...Just to pizz off the Wendies
    we need to stop that now really. I want signings cos their good players not just 2 annoy rivals
  • Options
    rodriguez
    off to Saints for about 6m
  • Options
    Seeing how we seem to have more money than we first thought
    Source?
  • Options
    So roughly how much money do we have then?

Putting aside the obvious jokes like RVP and Bale, some of the names listed are surely WAY out of our league.

Rhodes, Austin, Rodriguez...none of these would even consider coming to us.
    i do agree that they seem unlikely. but imho our defence was strong this season and someone like wordsworth would bring balance to our midfield. so attack is where we need to spend almost our entire budget. with this in mind it might be better to spend a large amount (1 mil+) on a single extraordinary striker rather than split over the likes of baldock, schlupp or the others being mentioned.

a striker like rhodes, austin or rodriguez coupled with yann bwp and haynes would be a great strike force and enable us to play 433 or 442. added to a strong defence a signing like this would mean we have a shot at playoffs rather than just consolidation.

as someone mentioned on another thread a couple of players have heard the rodriguez rumour in training so it seems likely that powell is thinking along the same lines. a marquee signing would also give a lift to the entire squad...and tbh none of us knows how much money the mysterons are really willing to spend
  • Options
    Rodreguez will go for about 5 million won't he? You're dreaming if you think we have a chance
  • Options
    Cover for Solly, 1 additional central midfielder, 1 additional forward. Not sure who though, I'll leave that up to CP.
  • Options
    Wordsworth is one of the few League One players who has caught my attention. Would be a good addition i think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Baldock or maynard

And peter withingham. Great great players
  • Options
    A little surprised we havn't had any substantiated rumours yet.
  • Options
    Gk to replace hamer
    Cb to replace Taylor
    Cm to replace Stephens
    Rm to replace green
    Quality striker
    Pacy left midfielder

Job done

Would keep all the above players in the squad btw but time to be ruthless

Build the squad around Solly, Morrison, wiggins, jacko, yann and hollands
  • Options
    PNE have got a few signings in already, 5 I think. Reckon they'll make playoff's at least next season.
  • Options
    Rodreguez will go for about 5 million won't he? You're dreaming if you think we have a chance
    Like I said they're unlikely signings but beckford moved for about 2.5 mil last year so i don't think its impossible to land one of the above for 2-3 mil. Seeing as we spent close to 2 mil on transfers in league 1 and don't need a squad overhaul this year, it might be possible to spend big money on a single signing that could significantly improve our chances of success. Convincing them to come and play for us would be the harded part I'd imagine...
  • Options
    Preston are clearly trying to emulate us - it's no secret Westley didn't think much of most of his squad. But what made Powell's achievement so special, is that it isn't easy to make massive changes and get success. It is key to do it as early as possible giving the players as much time to gel as possible. Which I assume is what they are trying to do.
  • Options
    Mackail-Smith/Rhodes/Baldock
    Wordsworth
    An experienced RB for cover
    An extra CB for cover
  • Options
    Not Emile Hesky. I gather he may have been sen at the training ground this week.He is not one for the future should be looking at players who have a chance of cutting it the premiership.
  • Options
    I was given to believe well before end of season that 7 new players were on SCPs radar including a player from Oldham - bit random I know.
    Assuming that he still wants Russell and/or N'Guessan he could also release/transfer one or three out like Hayes/Hughes/Clarke.
    So best guess we are looking for RB understudy;CH;Winger ;Centre Mid;Left Mid; Strikers.
  • Options
    Like I said they're unlikely signings but beckford moved for about 2.5 mil last year so i don't think its impossible to land one of the above for 2-3 mil. Seeing as we spent close to 2 mil on transfers in league 1 and don't need a squad overhaul this year, it might be possible to spend big money on a single signing that could significantly improve our chances of success. Convincing them to come and play for us would be the harded part I'd imagine...
    they rejected a bid for 5million last summer, so its unlikely we are going to swoop in for 2million and be successful for Rodreguez.