Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best way to win promotion..

Grayson took over Huddersfield in February after being sacked by Leeds.

In a statement on the club's website, he said: "People talk about promotion and I believe the best way to achieve it is by coming to Wembley and winning.

You having a laugh, best way to win promotion is being the most consistent and best team and winning the league title..

Comments

• We've know since 14 April which division we'll be in next season - so we've already had 6 weeks working on the players we want to bring in next season. Huddersfield have to start now.

So automatic promotion over the play-offs for me.
  • I suppose for the wining team it would be play offs, as it I is a day out at wembley. I prefer automatic promotion
  • 101points is quite sweet
  • If we had won at Wembley, then we would be saying exactly the same.
  • Playoffs are a lottery. Stressfull and prolong the season when players could / should be resting. They prevent the clubs involved making early plans for the following season but if it's the only way of clinching promotion after failing with the automatic slots then you grab it. For me autos every time although I will never forget the Sunderland game until I die.
  • You having a laugh, best way to win promotion is being the most consistent and best team and winning the league title..
    Of course you're right, Jim - but a bit harsh in your judgement on Grayson.

Put yourself in his shoes. When he was appointed manager at Huddersfield, he and everybody else knew they only had an outside chance of the automatics.

As the final table proved.

But in the euphoria of the moment at Wembley, he's had a microphone thrust in his face - so what else do you expect him to have said......?

• This seasons play offs, semis and finals included are the worst and most boring I can remember.
  • I think I'm fairly consistent in saying automatics every time. The play-offs are exciting, no doubt about that, but they're a knockout competition and we're normally not that good at them.
  • For the club the best way is going up as champions so you have more time to strengthen your squad but for the fans it has to be the play offs. I will not believe anyone who says that they would rather have won the title than that great day 14 years ago.
  • Powell said yesterday in the studio that play-offs are the best way...
  • Sponsored links:

• Getting promoted one week, being league champions the next and then picking up the trophy a fortnight later is the best way to do it. No stress, no worry, just three weeks of celebrating. Magnificent.
  • Funny thing .......Huddersfield will play us in the Championship next season,
    despite finishing 20 points behind us.

20 points!
  • Champions > Play-off's > Second Place
  • If you could guarantee a way of going up then winning at Wembley be top of the list. Of course you can't be certain of that though, so champions will do.

Would anyone here now swap Wembley '98 for being champions that year? Not a chance.
  • Ha! I've got a bright idea!

The final home game of the team that is going to finish in 1st place ......is transferred to Wembley.

Naturally season tickets are not valid. Seats start at £64 each, no concessions.
    And as a bonus, opponents get to play at Wembley, even if they are Rochdale, Hartlepool or Barnsley.

Everybody is a winner, but especially Wembley PLC and your credit card company.

Simples.
  • This seasons play offs, semis and finals included are the worst and most boring I can remember.
    Agree 100% . Nearly all cack. Blackpool & Crewe were decent. I fell asleep in most of the games, including Sheff U v Hudds.
  • edited May 2012
    It's weird as I was just about to make the point that the promotion in 1998 was more exciting that this season, and I think it probably was. However there is a huge difference between winning promotion to the Premier League than the second division.

As I thought about it more I think winning the Football League Championship in 2000 was a more enjoyable experience than the special day in May 1998.

There's no doubt it is more dramatic for something to be won (or lost) very quickly than over a period of weeks, but there is no substitute to winning the division. I would imagine that Sheffield Wednesday's securing of second place, on the last day of the season, was more exciting that winning the play off final.

However, I agree with Oggy, Grayson couldn't say anything different, and I suspect that his players and the fans all agree with him now, and certainly would have done so on Saturday evening.
  • All depends if you mean best in terms of most exciting event or best as in best from a football/business perspective.
  • P 46 W 46 D 0 L 0 IMHO
  • I loved the play off final will go down as one of the best days of my life, but we were underdogs and not expected to go up, I wouild much rather the consitency and surety of automatics, rather than the strss and uncertainty of the play offs anyday.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2012
    winning a play off final against millwall by being 1 down going in to injury time and then getting 2 goals man city style to do it
    it would never get better than that
    ok maybe it could last game of the regular season we do the same to get us from 3rd in the table to top as champions whilst at the same time knocking the scum from 4th bottom to 3rd bottom and relegation (a draw would have kept them safe)

or even the above one, in a tight league, moving us up from 7th, whilst losing, to the automatics and the beauty of sending them down at the same time would be unmatched
  • As an individual game, the playoff final can't be beaten, as it create unbelieable moments of drama, joy and despair. If there had been no playoffs in 1986/87, there would have been no replay at St Andrews and no Peter Shirtcliff scoring 2 of the most important goals in our history...
  • P 46 W 46 D 0 L 0 IMHO
    Isn't that Huddersfields record for last two seasons?
  • I much rather be crowned champions of the league rather than winning the play-offs. Anyone who thinks coming 3rd is better than 1st needs their head testing. But then Grayson is a thick northern idiot.
  • Now that we have smashed L1, id like to see us win a playoff final
    I'd certainly settle for that.
    I'd certainly settle for that.
    101 points next season would suit me fine.

• Anyone who thinks coming 3rd is better than 1st needs their head testing.
    Udders came 4th.

• Champions > Play-off's > Second Place
    Agreed. Coming 2nd is worst
  • I think Sheff Wed had a very sweet promotion this year.

Replacing their manager with 12 games left, winning 10 drawing 2 to go up at the expense of their local rivals on the last day of the season. I'd take that next season for sure.