Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can we build a winning team on a budget of £6M?

Lots of concern that we are losing out on signings etc and that it will be much tougher to recruit cost-effectively this year compared to last. One note of optimism: Montpellier built their team last year on a budget of 7M Euro - went on to win the French championship and have qualified for the Champions' League. So anything is possible...and they didn't have SCP either!

Keep the faith, as Fanny would say...

Comments

• Early days. Who knows if we have missed out on anyone ? I'm sure we will have a decent list of targets and will achieve most.
  • Not convinced we've missed out on anyone. Hardly any ins and outs in the Championship. No rush as it wont be wholesale changes,like last year - thus less bedding in time required. I'd rather get the right players and if that takes till a week before kick off so be it.
  • Where is the lots of concern? Our teams good enough to compete as it is. Only 2 or three signings and you have a top challenging team.
  • Where is the lots of concern? Our teams good enough to compete as it is. Only 2 or three signings and you have a top challenging team.
    not sure about that at all. If we went into the season with the current bunch and no additions I think we'd go down. 3 or 4 signings would see us be competitive for me.
  • Barely any difference between bottom 10 of champs and top 5 of league1

We did great last year, 101 points, not just any top league1 side, no reason why we couldnt finish mid table.
    And it only takes 1 or 2 gamechanging players to come in to push us further.
  • Our glorious leader could get us up on £6 never mind £6 million.
  • If we went into the season with our current squad I think we would finish mid table, but were not going to there will be about 8 signings.
    not sure about that at all. If we went into the season with the current bunch and no additions I think we'd go down. 3 or 4 signings would see us be competitive for me.
    Seriously???? Far too good to go down with our current crop. Mid-table as things stand..........
  • I think Weegie is asking a rhetorical question.

In anycase £6m is quite a bit of spending money at this level.

Covered End Junior said 8 players and he has excellent sources so GK, RB, CH, CM X 2, LM, FW x 2 it is.
  • Back 5 and Yann should be ok but question marks over the rest for me especially midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Id expect about 5 ins, not much more
    Last year was all about rebuilding, now we are just touching up.

Least we have an entire unit in good form at the moment, dont want to break that up.
  • edited May 2012
    I think Weegie is asking a rhetorical question.

Covered End Junior said 8 players and he has excellent sources so GK, RB, CH, CM X 2, LM, FW x 2 it is.
    This.

:)
  • edited May 2012
    Kermit ?
    Jackson Stephens Hollands ?
    Wiggins Morrison ? Solly
    ?

Those are the area's id add to
    - Better competition for BWP
    - Better RM
    - Would also look at finding younger replacements for Taylor/Jacko
    - Keeper

- Possibly a CM but only to challenge Stephens and Hollands, both of them will come good in Champo
    Seriously???? Far too good to go down with our current crop. Mid-table as things stand..........
    what makes you think our current team with no changes would get midtable? I don't think our midfield would hack it. Defence yes, keeper yes, some of the attaacking players yes.

• Our midfield could hack it, just need more potency on at least one of the wings
  • Back 5 and Yann should be ok but question marks over the rest for me especially midfield.
    Agree.

Jackson and Hollands will do what they do but need better competition.

Stephens will hopefully push on, if not he will probably struggle.

Right midfield is a weak area and someone a level or two above Green and Waggy should really improve the team.

Ideally a pacey beastly CB to step up to the Prem in time and a good striker that can play with or instead of Yann.
  • I have no idea what the plan is yet. Last year we wanted players that would get us into the top six and compete in the Championship. I think the board were pleasantly pleased (understatement) that we did so at the first attempt. One assumes that they planned for this to take two to three years and we are now ahead of plan.
    Time will tell if we are looking to consolidate at this level - or get players that will get us into the top six and compete in the Prem.
    But have we the money to go all out for it, or just enough to improve and move forward with a secret hope we will scrape into the top six?
    I believe the current squad is good enough to finish mid table - and after the experience of being in Div 1, I would be more than pleased not to be in a relegation battle. If we beat the spanners and Palarse on the way it will be a great season for me.
    One hopes that we are going for the Prem, but I am happy to be where we are at the moment and any new players will be a bonus.
    Please be happy for where we are and do not add any pressure to the squad other than to do their best. A quality they have displayed throughout last season.
    In SCP we trust. I believe the board are earning that trust. Have faith and believe.
    In the words of all those at Man Utd (was it that long ago), with them down to ten men with Schmichael being sent off for three red card offense's in one challenge - the song at half time ''Things, can only get better''.
    Pehaps we should adopt this song again?
  • However we do it, we need a mobile and alert quality CB, if only to challenge for a place with what we have.
    Other signings would be extra icing on a pretty decent cake.
  • I have a spare mobile - any one got the CB?
  • We won't be the scalp in the Championship that we were in League One, but I think this will give us more opportunity to play an expansive game. We'll be ok with the squad we have. If we want to challenge for promotion, I think we need another goalscorer, a better balance in central midfield and more pace generally throughout the side.

If we make 3 or 4 first XI signings that address those things, who knows where we can go. The key thing is to get the right players, and there'll be more competition for them than those we added last year.
  • Sponsored links:

• well didnt we build a title winning team of 18 players for around £1.5m last season..... anything is possible
  • Hamer

Solly Cort Morrison Wiggins

D.Powell? Hollands Skacel? Jackson

Yann Baldock? (BWP or Haynes will probably be good enough but Baldock is better)
  • I think this is the wrong question. The evidence clearly suggests that wage bill correlates very significantly with league table position but that net transfer spend does not.

The key question, therefore, is how much of the increase in revenues resulting from promotion to the Championship will be used to increase that wage bill; put another way, will Jimenez and friends choose to invest in the wage bill or decide to reduce the cash burn? The optimist in me says they'll do the former simply because that's what they signed up to and, bluntly, they've achieved nothing financially yet.

So what about transfers fees? The objective, logically, ought to be to make money from transfers, at least in the medium term, and my working assumption is that this is indeed the plan.

The challenge, therefore, is to upgrade the squad (i.e. sign players the market values and hence pays more) whilst being cute with whatever transfer budget the owners choose to risk; we should expect experienced players out of contract (M Taylor last summer) and value for money young players with potential (Wiggins). "Fully priced experienced players" are out.

This strategy also suggests opportunistic sales if the "price is right" - it makes sense to sell any player if you can get more than he is worth. If we see this happening it is not a sign of financial weakness or of a lack of ambition
  • also if we can get players like yann on a free you never know who we could get and how cheap they could possibly be
  • also if we can get players like yann on a free you never know who we could get and how cheap they could possibly be
    There are some great players on this list that I reckon we could get for free: http://www.thepfa.com/transferlist
  • Agree that midfield we currently have would not cut it in the Championship. Its the priority area for me. A creative CM and if possible two. A quality left midfielder and some real completion for Green and or Waggy. Can see one leaving if we get in the right person. Cover for super Solly and a replacement for Sullivan. A real deal striker would be the cherry on the cake. I hope cupboard end junior is right and he often is.
  • I think Weegie is asking a rhetorical question.

This.

:)
    No chance of there being that many coming in - that's 2/3 of a team!

;-)
  • I think the current team with no changes is top half. Would be a massive error making too many, but calling all the transfers is for fans, Chrissy will know who we can get who will impove us. Could be as little as one or two with a couple of squad players. I think people underestimate what an achievement getting 101 points is!!! The teams that went down from the Championship -don't go straight back up, but teams that go up do. The Championship is no great shakes. We will have the best defence next season for starters.
  • I think a lot of us are underestimating the Championship actually.
  • I'd say a lot of us are underestimating our team.