Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can we build a winning team on a budget of £6M?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Think all 3 South London clubs will come top half next season. If I had to choose I'd probably say Millwall will finish top of the 3
    All depends on who we sign over the next coming months and how keeps the players working together, we will see.
  • Options
    I thought your post was well reasoned, Sparrows.

Agree, it is all about getting off to a good start to continue our promotion momentum and confidence.

But that applies equally to Palace, Millwall or any other team.

Millwall struggled badly mid-season [losing 6-0 at home, anyone? :o)] - but end of season, they went on a tidy run and finished on a high.

I think with promoted teams though the good/bad start has a bigger impact - you're going up a level & obviously the players will be thinking can they compete. A few good results and they feel on top of the world, few dodgy ones & doubt creeps into their minds.

Team's who have been here a while will tend to brush those knocks off a little bit better (unless they really are rubbish)
  • Options
    I think Palace are most likely to go down and Millwall will be bottom half. Neither will be fit to lace our boots which is just as it should be. I think a few are a bit more in awe of the Championship than they really should be- the gulf is between the Championship and the Premiership, not the Championship and League One.

How many teams in the Championship last season could have got 101 points in league one - I think you couldn't look beyond the top 8 really. That is probably around the area we are currently - play off possibilities that is- but with a couple of signings and the realistic expectation that the tam which is young and new, will improve- we have every reason to be optimistic.

All this nonsense about needing 2 prolific strikers when I think the Champion stop scorer was LeFondre with 12 and I don't think all of those were for them. Palace had one of the tightest defences with a donkey like McCarthy in the side - one of the slowest liabilities of a central defender we have had which is saying something in recent years.

All three teams going up are going to be strong next season and a great advert for League One.
  • Options
    Lots of premiership players released today.
  • Options
    Danny Murphy and Andy Johnson look set to be released by Fulham, I'd take Murphy.....ducks for cover!!
  • Options
    I'd take Murphy.....ducks for cover!!
    Don't you remember we had to play 3 CMs in midfield to accomodate him;
    back to the days of 4-5-1......?

Anyway, his missus doesn't like Charlton, ha ha

• Options
    I'd rather have Johnson.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I think Palace are most likely to go down and Millwall will be bottom half. Neither will be fit to lace our boots which is just as it should be.
    I shouldn't be too dismissive of Millwall and Palarse, Muttley.

Just because we are spending the summer on a promotion high, it will be a new season and fresh start for each club - and they'll each have their own expectations.

On here, of course we're all hoping Charlton have another terrific season.

As Sparrows has said, as a promoted club it will be important for Charlton to get off to a good start, because that breeds confidence and keeps the promotion momentum going.

Okay, he's Millwall ....... but he's talking football common sense.

• Options
    I think Palace are most likely to go down and Millwall will be bottom half. Neither will be fit to lace our boots which is just as it should be. I think a few are a bit more in awe of the Championship than they really should be- the gulf is between the Championship and the Premiership, not the Championship and League One.

How many teams in the Championship last season could have got 101 points in league one - I think you couldn't look beyond the top 8 really. That is probably around the area we are currently - play off possibilities that is- but with a couple of signings and the realistic expectation that the tam which is young and new, will improve- we have every reason to be optimistic.

All this nonsense about needing 2 prolific strikers when I think the Champion stop scorer was LeFondre with 12 and I don't think all of those were for them. Palace had one of the tightest defences with a donkey like McCarthy in the side - one of the slowest liabilities of a central defender we have had which is saying something in recent years.

All three teams going up are going to be strong next season and a great advert for League One.
    Didn't say that it was not possible to get promoted without x2 goal scoring strikers as you rightly pointed out Reading managed it. They had a very good midfield. Many on here would agree that out of the units on the pitch, our defence, followed by strikers and midfield in that order were where our strengths as a team.

Southampton and Norwich had x2 good & regular goal scoring strikers. It helps takes pressure of our main goal scorer, BWP if we had another goal scorer.

Having just sorted my season ticket for next year, I am feeling pretty optimistic. I do though think without additions, we are a mid table club. After x3 seasons in league one, I am happy if we consolidate and strengthen the club.

Its a good thing to identify areas that need to be strengthened.
  • Options
    I don't think Millwall will get relegated. Kenny Jackett is a good manager, and puts together strong team units. They struggled with they lost their main goal scorer, Morrisson. The crowd back KJ as well. Even when they got hammered 6-0 at home, the crowd were still singing his name.

Palace, are mid table as well. If you look at the backers of the club, they have all got a lot of money, and though they are managing the club in a way not to throw cash around, they have got enough to stay up.

When Charlton got in their premiership last time, they did it in a way with a strong team all round. Reading similarly with the last promotion, and that's the way I would prefer it. It is not good to be dependent on one striker, as Millwall show when they lost Morrisson. It is the strength of their team play that saved them.

Strong midfield and team play with a couple of decent strikers, then a team would be strong promotion contenders.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Millwall will be fine next season. The second season in any division is always tougher than the first and Millwall experienced that last year. Took them most of the season to get to grips but when eventually they did they put together some impressive results. Jackett is a very good manager and knows wher he needs to strengthen. Berylson will provide enough funds for that to happen. I would be very very happy to take four points off them next season.
  • Options
    The crowd back KJ as well.

I know a lot of people who would disagree with that.

• Options
    I think Palace are most likely to go down and Millwall will be bottom half. Neither will be fit to lace our boots which is just as it should be.
    I shouldn't be too dismissive of Millwall and Palarse, Muttley.

Just because we are spending the summer on a promotion high, it will be a new season and fresh start for each club - and they'll each have their own expectations.

On here, of course we're all hoping Charlton have another terrific season.

As Sparrows has said, as a promoted club it will be important for Charlton to get off to a good start, because that breeds confidence and keeps the promotion momentum going.

Okay, he's Millwall ....... but he's talking football common sense.

Sorry, but just a bit fed up of people ignoring the ample evidence of last season. Based on what I have seen, I can big us up, dismiss Palace and expect Millwall to be in the bottom half with a great deal of confidence. In fact I'm going to do a double on us getting promoted and Palace going down.

• Options
    To be honest I think your an arrogant duluded idiot but FairPlay
  • Options
    Well let's see what Sir Chris does. My guess is he will cover the squad where needed and make a couple of headline signings. That is all I have been saying and if he want's to make big changes to the squad - well I'll hold my hands up.

And talk of Palace and Millwall competing at the top of the league - even if I didn't hate them - I'd be flying in the face of all the evidence calling that. Palace are toothless and will probably be losing their best defender for nothing. Their saving grace is they have a decent Keeper. Millwall are sliding, their daving grace is that they have a decent manager, who will probably keep them just about safe.

I think it is a bit arrogant to dismiss players who were brought in to do a job at this level as well as get us up, and collectively broke nearly every record going last season.
  • Options
    Not arrogant and not dismissing what we have but IMHO what we have won't be good enough for top half next season.
  • Options
    You are right, but is it arrogant if I think we are? I Honestly think making too many changes would be a disaster and I don't think it will happen thank God. One really strong centre midfielder might be all we need IMHO.

Of course we have to cover some positions better but these are players that can do a job, not necessarily be better than what we have.
  • Options
    No point in assuming anything until the season has started and by then most teams will have done most if not all of their transfer business .everything else in the meantime is just complete speculation.
  • Options
    I happen to think that Millwall and Palace will finish mid table as will us.I really can't see us being in a promotion place.Not unless we buy six or seven top class players.
  • Options
    I happen to think that Millwall and Palace will finish mid table as will us.I really can't see us being in a promotion place.Not unless we buy six or seven top class players.
    This really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are the Yann Kermorgant going to Celtic rumours true?? That'll be a big loss for us if so he can definitely compete in the championship, not that i'd begrudge him champions league football he's earned the chance
  • Options
    Are the Yann Kermorgant going to Celtic rumours true?? That'll be a big loss for us if so he can definitely compete in the championship, not that i'd begrudge him champions league football he's earned the chance
    Nope
  • Options
    More likely we buy Stokes off them. Pub league.