Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BWP in The Championship

Will he cut it? He could of had way more than 22 goals this season with the amount of chances he had. I still think we should keep him and he could defiantly make a difference next season as he is a good player its just that he missed to many good chances in league 1 and theoretically it will be harder to score in The Championship.

And if not BWP then who? I like the look of Haynes and I reckon he could do a good job next season or do we need someone else?

I mean he might cut it or he might flop, we will just have to wait and see.

Comments

• BWP will cut it in the Championship.
  • BWP will cut the cheese and become the cream of the crop
  • edited May 2012
    Top strikers miss far more chances than they take, right?

To score 22 goals in League One tells me that BWP is invariably in the right place at the right time.
    That's 90% of the job.

And like most strikers, it's all about confidence........when you're scoring goals, even the miss-hits go in.

BWP has predatory instincts ...... look at the way he took that promotion winning goal at Carlisle or his goal at Scunthorpe.

With that technique and sharpness, he's capable of scoring plenty in the Championship.

• The management need to make the judgement of whether he can make the step up. Personally, I think they were too lenient with him during the phase when he did not score Nov - Feb? We cannot afford to have a striker firing blanks for that length of time. His overall contribution to the team during a match has improved a lot from when he came to us, but I still don't think it is enough when he is not scoring. He is though one of the players that should be given a chance to prove himself, but no one should be guaranteed a starting place if they are not doing their primary function.
  • I hear what you're saying Kap10, but there is another view: being a good striker is about having the confidence to take the shot on - the management at Charlton stuck with BWP through his lean spell - if he'd been dropped what would that have done to his confidence? Would we have seen him again?
  • Goal at Carlisle sums him up.. had a good game, missed 3/4 chances, doesn't put himself down. Then he gets in the right place in the right time and scores that one goal that matters.
  • The thing about that lean spell was that he absolutely worked his socks off. With a bit more luck he might have put one or two away around December/January time, breaking that run up and then it wouldn't have really been noticeable.
  • I hear what you're saying Kap10, but there is another view: being a good striker is about having the confidence to take the shot on - the management at Charlton stuck with BWP through his lean spell - if he'd been dropped what would that have done to his confidence? Would we have seen him again?
    I think its one of the quandary's that there is no correct answer to without a parallel universe. Arguably, if he was dropped someone else would have come in and scored goals, adding to the goals that the midfield were contributing alternatively the defences no longer had BWP to worry about so closed down the scorers from midfield resulting in less wins ... who knows, its why management is an art most of us and most managers fail at.

• Unless we have a real humdinger of a transfer war chest and are able to bring in a very expensive striker which I doubt then BWP will be our main goal threat next season. Will he be enough ? IMHO opinion hell be knocking around the 20 goals mark again.
  • edited May 2012
    I thought we had a huge transfer war chest lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• When he is in top scoring form, it seems as though it is inevitable he will score in every game. When he is not, he somehow manages to miss a lot of sitters.

How BWP performs in the Championship, as we have seen this season, really comes down to how well the team around him are doing.
  • I thought we had a huge transfer war chest lol.
    I suspect you were thinking of Katie Price

• edited May 2012
    Despite averaging scoring 1 goal in 2 games, incredibly people are asking why he wasn't dropped in his lean spell.

He never stopped working the channels and drawing markers away, to allow our midfield to come through and chip in with goals. Yann was doing the same, of course.

But during this last season, BWP learned to become a real team player.
    And so did Yann, after being an individualist at Leicester.

Don't underestimate the influence of our management team.

• I remember him scoring from every chance not so long ago - He gets a fresh start and it is in him to be a great success at Championship level. He is clearly a confidence player, so might be an idea if some were a bit more positive!!!!
  • Only at Charlton would a player score 22 goals and people question if he should still be in the team.
  • Will he cut it? He could of had way more than 22 goals this season with the amount of chances he had. I still think we should keep him and he could defiantly make a difference next season as he is a good player its just that he missed to many good chances in league 1 and theoretically it will be harder to score in The Championship.

And if not BWP then who? I like the look of Haynes and I reckon he could do a good job next season or do we need someone else?

I mean he might cut it or he might flop, we will just have to wait and see.
    I think he will be fine in the championship but who knows who will come in ?

A4life I would really like to know on what basis you think that Haynes could do a good job in replacing BWP. He's hardly set the place alight goal scoring wise at any club that he's been at, what have you seen in him to make you think that will change at Charlton ? I think he's a good squad player to maybe come on as a sub when we're chasing the game as his speed will certainly cause problems but I don't see him as a free scoring striker.
  • Only at Charlton would a player score 22 goals and people question if he should still be in the team.
    This
    I understand your sentiment, but actually I think it would happen at every club.
  • edited May 2012
    Really bugs me that he has been written off so easily for next season, he has a better than 1 in 2 record in League 1 and despite his barron run last season, he still got in the postions to score regularly and never hid. He is more experienced and older than his last spell in the Championship, he will feel he has a point to prove. Realisitically not sure there are many out there who we can afford who are more likely to score goals regularly, Baldock for example has a worse ratio in L1 than BWP and will not come cheap.

His all round game improved greatly since last summer, and he fully deserves a shot at the Championship next season. We would not be there without BWP and his goals.

Best goalscorer we have had since Darren Bent.
  • Misses too many chances for my liking but has to be given chance
  • Sponsored links:

I understand your sentiment, but actually I think it would happen at every club.
    To be fair he should have been keeping Jordan Rhodes company amount if chances he missed
  • Too many misses? More like too many saved.

He'll score 15 this season, Yann will score 10, Haynes will nab 12, Waggy 5, Green 3, Jackson 9, Solly and Wiggy 2 each.

The others and new players? Who knows?
  • MKD with dad and another great goalscoring season ?
  • edited May 2012
    MKD with dad and another great goalscoring season ?
    Ha! What do you know that we don't .....?

Seriously, strikers like to think they can convert 1 chance in 3. That's the rule of thumb.

BWP will be as good in the Champs as the service he is given.
  • Too many misses? More like too many saved.

He'll score 15 this season, Yann will score 10, Haynes will nab 12, Waggy 5, Green 3, Jackson 9, Solly and Wiggy 2 each.

The others and new players? Who knows?
    Who Knows ? Hmm I'm disappointed that you haven't consulted your crystal ball considering you've already "seen" the goalscoring chart of players that we do have
  • edited May 2012
    Gutting , he was top goalscorer ( no penalties) and assist maker , he won't make the grade.

Give the lad a break , sure he missed a few all strikers do , Bradders goes through hot and cold spells , we need to back him , not scare him off.
  • In league 1, a team can cope with one main goal scorer and another who chips in with goals alongside the midfield.

In the championships, you need at least x2 goal scoring strikers, Norwich and Southampton were successful due to having x2 decent goal scorers in the team.

We need another decent striker alongside BWP, opposition defences can concentrate and ensure that one goalscorer doesn't score. The other thing is all strikers go through patches where they don't score, having another striker would take the pressure off BWP both practically and mentally. Strikers also get injured and knackered. If we are going to be successful, then we need another decent hungry, goal scoring striker.

(With decent service from the midfield).

I think that the support that Charlton supporters gave to BWP during the period he did not score was excellent, helped by his work rate. But I think that really helps strikers and BWP knowing that the crowd cuts him slack.

BWP can definitely cut it but that is with the context of a decent balanced team.

A question is Charlton the first team that BWP been promoted with ?

• He will score plenty of goals in the Championship, of that I have no doubt but I would like to see him take more of his one on one chances. He missed bundles of these throughout the season.
  • Absolutely agree. 22 goals and 10 assists in 41 appearances. Its been a while since we've had a player with those kind of figures. Based on the first half of last season Bwp is right up there with the strikers we're struggling to attract (austin, rhodes, rodriguez) and way ahead of the ones we're hoping to replace him with (haynes, baldock). If he'd have continued in that nick he would've gotten 30+ goals last season. Bwp will come good...
  • I think we'll get an idea whether BWP is back to form in pre-season. If he is, he'll be a top striker in the Championship. If he isn't he won't. But don't judge him by a what would have been a kightmare spell where his confidence would have been hit FFS. Before his badge patch I would have said that one of his strengths was his chance to gaol ratio.