Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BWP in The Championship

2»

Comments

• Options
    The thing with BWP is he scores "important goals".

By that I mean in a tight game he will score the one that counts, the winner.

Rhodes scored lots of goals but it seemed not in important games. He would score 4 against Wycombe etc.

Just my view I think he'll do ok next season.
  • Options
    In league 1, a team can cope with one main goal scorer and another who chips in with goals alongside the midfield.

In the championships, you need at least x2 goal scoring strikers, Norwich and Southampton were successful due to having x2 decent goal scorers in the team.

I disagree. You only need two major goal scoring strikers if you're planning on being promoted from the Championship. With a frontline like BWP and Yann, we're probably looking in mid table somewhere, possibly the top half.
  • Options
    In league 1, a team can cope with one main goal scorer and another who chips in with goals alongside the midfield.

In the championships, you need at least x2 goal scoring strikers, Norwich and Southampton were successful due to having x2 decent goal scorers in the team.

I disagree. You only need two major goal scoring strikers if you're planning on being promoted from the Championship. With a frontline like BWP and Yann, we're probably looking in mid table somewhere, possibly the top half.
    Good point - like Reading did last year!!!!!

• Options

I think that the support that Charlton supporters gave to BWP during the period he did not score was excellent, helped by his work rate. But I think that really helps strikers and BWP knowing that the crowd cuts him slack.

This! Even BWP himself thanked the supporters for backing him, that continued backing could help him in the championship

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Well all I can say is that if you read this Bradley just give it your best shot young fella and see what gives.
    There are others in the side who's capabilities are going to be put to the test, not just you.
    We'll see what gives and will be behind you and all the lads....as always.
    I'm sure you'll do us and yourself proud....go for it Bradley!!
  • Options
    Statbank tells a story. 78 (if memory serves) shots on target, 22 goals. Either he keeps hitting the keeper or they've done very well against him. If we can get him chances to afford 78 shots on target next year I'm sure he'll score another 20+.
  • Options
    I'd like to see the stats before is poor run started. I'm sure we'll see the best of him next season - he will have learned a lot from this season.
  • Options
    I will add as ever, that Rhodes and Evans took the penalties at their clubs, so makes the stats look better for them
  • Options
    Andy Johnson available on free transfer lol.
  • Options
    Statbank tells a story. 78 (if memory serves) shots on target, 22 goals. Either he keeps hitting the keeper or they've done very well against him. If we can get him chances to afford 78 shots on target next year I'm sure he'll score another 20+.
    He keeps hitting the keeper !
    He said in an interview, that his priority is to get the ball on target. (Presumably he'd rather it on target than try and push it wider of the keeper & put it past the post). It explains why he hit the keeper so often with one on ones or shot through/under the keeper.
    I'm not saying he's wrong, but perhaps if he could improve his finishing he'd score a lot more.
    Reminds me of Andy Cole in that regard. Needs a fair few chances to score, but score he does.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How good to see a positive thread about a player who a number of people have questionned as being good enough for the next level. The goals to chances ratio statistics are not an unreasonable yardstick but are there any comparative statistics in relation to the number of times Wright Phillips gets into goal scoring opportunities?

I have seen suggestions for strikers to be recruited with most having fewer credentials than the guy scoring 22 league goals and contributing circa 10 assists. How many other strikers may not have been in the position to miss such opportunities in the first place? A player featuring in circa 40% of our league goals has to be taken seriously. Wright Phillips has in the last 2 years as a striker scored 43 in 79 league games (Rhodes has circa 51 [inc. pens] in 70).

Consider players to compete with WP by all means but anyone suggesting he cannot step up, for me, is well wide of the mark.

BTW - Thank you for the comments on the other thread it was indeed March 12 when I decided to take a rest from contributing.

Grapevine49
  • Options
    Grapevine49 - the voice of reason. My co favourite poster, together with Scoham.
  • Options
    I think that just counts shots saved by keeper and excludes those blocked by outfielders.
  • Options
    I very much doubt it. On target means on target. If they meant shots saved by the keeper they'd say so.
  • Options
    BWP will be a revelation in the championship.. he is now settled at the valley
  • Options
    Well all I can say is that if you read this Bradley just give it your best shot young fella and see what gives.
    There are others in the side who's capabilities are going to be put to the test, not just you.
    We'll see what gives and will be behind you and all the lads....as always.
    I'm sure you'll do us and yourself proud....go for it Bradley!!
    Well said that man !

• Options
    BWP is more than good enough and i would be more than happy if he started all 46 league games

as for Haynes if he starts many as a striker then we'll be looking at the wrong end of the table, all pace but not a good enough touch or ability as far as i have seen
  • Options
    I think Haynes could be a useful option.
  • Options
    I very much doubt it. On target means on target. If they meant shots saved by the keeper they'd say so.
    I think you'll find that a shot on target means just what it says .....including saves by the keeper/clearances by defenders. Otherwise, each shot on target would be a goal.

Incidentally, shots that hit the post/bar count as shots off target.

• Options
    Indeed a shot on target is either a goal or saved/blocked