Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cahill out - is it game over for England before the tournament's even started?

So with Gary Cahill now out as well as Barry and Lampard and Parker/Terry both looking shaky (and of course not forgetting John Ruddy!) what chance do we have?? Roy's called up Martin Kelly and Jordan Henderson in some apparent continual streak of loyalty to Liverpool despite their dismal season. Granted we were never going to win, semis would have been a push but has this team got what it takes to even get out the group stage??
I still think we can make the quarters but any more than that and Roy should get some sort of medal.

Additionally talking of the likes of Lampard I've put a blog together about the older generation who have their last chance at Euro 2012 to succeed in a major international tournament, lemme know your thoughts !
http://blog.oddslife.com/2012/06/euro-2012-last-chance-saloon/ There's an older generation of gems for whom Euro 2012 will be their last international tournament. Who'll make the most of it????

Comments

• Options
    Lescott is prone to a mistake but i think he will come in and do well
  • Options
    This is terrible, have we seriously not got another cb? Kelly has not done anything this season for liverpool.

Where's Rio??!?!?!
  • Options
    Do you think there is a bias towards Liverpool players by Roy or is this seriously the best we have?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I really think you have to look at the positives. Barry was knackered after his season. Cahill is no better than either Jagielka or Lescott. Parker has had a rest in the final part of the season and with Lumphard gone at least we have clarity over whether we should play him and Gerrard together when manifestly they are ineffective as a pair.

So we will have Parker and Gerrard as the centre mid partnership that will do for me. Ashley Young and Welbeck are relatively fresh and in form. Milner is also fresh. Judas has a point to prove and so does Oxlade-Chamberlain.

All in all I think we have a decent chance.

Don't care about Henderson or Kelly. They are not going to get a game anyway.

As for Ferdinand, he is not fit enough, and having taken Terry, he really couldn't be picked.

Richards ruled himself out.

• Options
    This is terrible, have we seriously not got another cb? Kelly has not done anything this season for liverpool.

Where's Rio??!?!?!
    Screw Rio, we need Micah
  • Options
    Really feel for Roy - not the best squad anyway, and he's now missing Ruddy, Walker, Cahill, Barry, Wilshire, Lampard, Bent and even the likes of Huddlestone, Rodwell, Smalling, Dawson who would have been options, and certainly above Kelly. Plus Rooney for two games!
  • Options
    Yeah, i forgot about Micah when i posted that, how on earth can he not be in above Kelly?!

Hopefully he wont get on the pitch though.
  • Options
    Micah didn't want to be on stand-by......his loss.
  • Options
    This
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same with Carrick anf Foster - sad that people can't be bothered to try and represent their country because they aren't first choice.

Look at people like Danny Mills, Trevor Sinclair and Nicky Butt, came into tournaments in the squad and because of injuries got to play a big part.
  • Options
    Shame for Cahill, I rate him and reckon he would've done well too, ridiculous that he misses the tournament over something so ridiculous as well. Seeing them listed like that you really realise how many of our players ahve been struck off the list due to injuries. Especially players like Walker and Wilshere. Will make a big difference, that said i don't care that Lampard. Bent and Huddlestone woudl've been a solid choice too.
  • Options
    Same with Carrick anf Foster - sad that people can't be bothered to try and represent their country because they aren't first choice.

Look at people like Danny Mills, Trevor Sinclair and Nicky Butt, came into tournaments in the squad and because of injuries got to play a big part.
    Carrick has been called up to 58 England squads over 11 years but started only 13 games, with a further 9 substitute appearances. On the other 36 occasions he has either been an unused substitute or not made it on to the bench. Carrick did not play a single minute in the last World Cup and decided in January, 18 months after his last game, to opt out.

If I was Carrick I would have done exactly the same - you cannot really blame him after all that.

• Options
    I think Jones is a more than adequate Centre half.
  • Options
    I appreciate that errbody, but to not give it another chance under the new management is a shame.
  • Options
    Micah Richards - the saviour of England. I think not. It would make not one jot of difference. You all watch too much sky sports news
  • Options
    This
    and ours.

• Options
    I'll be happy if we get a draw against France (I really hate losing to France) and avoid embarrassing defeat (by more than two goals) against the other two.

I rather consider the teams in the competition as in three groups:

A. The real contenders: Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, France

B. The possibles: Czech Republic, Croatia, Ukraine, Poland, Portugal, Russia

C. The outsiders: Denmark, Greece, England, Republic of Ireland, Sweden

• Options
    At this rate Morrison will be picked........................
  • Options
    You think we're less likely to win it than Poland?!

I don't fancy our chances much but we are better than Poland, Ukraine and poor Czech Republicand Croatia sides. On a par with Portugal, Russia and even Italy I'd say - Portugal and Italy won't pull up any trees.

However, I think the other 4 in 'A' will be there or thereabouts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think England are in danger of taking the "lowering of expectations" to extremes...!
  • Options
    Lescot and jags
  • Options
    Do you think there is a bias towards Liverpool players by Roy or is this seriously the best we have?
    No. I just don't think there are many English players above Liverpool who would want to be called up to replace an injured player. Take Micah Richards and Carrick for example, he didn't want to be on the back-up list.

Players like Henderson, Kelly, Butland and Welbeck are the future of English football.

I think you should only be asked once if you want to be part of the England side. If you say no, then that's a lack of loyalty to your nation and you shouldn't be considered at all (which is what he's done with Richards).

Don't forget how many injured English players we have higher up than Liverpool e.g Wilshire Walker, Bent and Lennon's been out for a lot of the season.

• Options
    You think we're less likely to win it than Poland?!

I don't fancy our chances much but we are better than Poland, Ukraine and poor Czech Republicand Croatia sides. On a par with Portugal, Russia and even Italy I'd say - Portugal and Italy won't pull up any trees.

However, I think the other 4 in 'A' will be there or thereabouts.
    I certainly do think that we're less likely to win it than Poland. Poland have home advantage at least.

The main factors against England winning anything are:

1. that we have idiots in the team who are likely to have a hot flush at any minute and get themselves sent off
    2. we have bullish players like Carroll who don't fit in with the European way and so are pulled up for challenging for the ball too heavily
    3. our players are simply not good enough

Factors 1 & 2 have proven to be our downfall in past tournaments. Number 3 is a new one I've added to the list since 2006.
  • Options
    Rugby, I make you right. If a player ever says no to england they should not be asked again. If you can't be loyal to your own country then you should naff off. These players live a bloody good lifestyle paid for to no small degree by British tax payers, so for them to turn round and say every 2 years a couple of weeks tournament is not worth their while is a disgrace. It's not like they are having to fund it themselves or not going to be bloody well looked after whilst they are away.
  • Options
    We're not the only team to have injuries. Other countries have these problems too. Don't feel too sorry for Woy as he won't be thinking about us when he's going to the bank to pick up his wages.
  • Options
    Micah Richards - the saviour of England. I think not. It would make not one jot of difference. You all watch too much sky sports news
    No the saviour but certainly a better player than others in the squad, every position counts.
  • Options
    So was Micah asked but turned it down because he wasn't assured a starting place ? This seems to be happening more and more and is completely unacceptable. Why would these guys rather be on a beach than taking the opportunity that might see them represent their country at a major tournament ?
  • Options
    So was Micah asked but turned it down because he wasn't assured a starting place ? This seems to be happening more and more and is completely unacceptable. Why would these guys rather be on a beach than taking the opportunity that might see them represent their country at a major tournament ?
    was asked to be stand-by, so not in the 23 man initial squad but reserve to come in if there were injuries but he said he didnt want to be on stand by and ruled himself out.
  • Options
    i dont see how many of you can agree with players refusing to play for their country. Its the greatest honour you can recieve as a player why on earth would you turn it down. To be part of a national squad in a tournament is not something that comes around every so often. I for one would never turn down playing for england or retiring from international football