Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cahill out - is it game over for England before the tournament's even started?

2»

Comments

• Options
    i dont see how many of you can agree with players refusing to play for their country. Its the greatest honour you can recieve as a player why on earth would you turn it down. To be part of a national squad in a tournament is not something that comes around every so often. I for one would never turn down playing for england or retiring from international football
    Totally agree with this i would crawl over hot coals to play for England and would carry on for as long as i was needed.I think Roy Hodgson is in a very difficult position regarding Rio Ferdinand.I think Roy wants to pick him but is not sure how the situation with John Terry would affect the morale of the team.Roy says that it is purely a footballing decision but i think that is a porkie.

• Options
    Not sure why Rio didn't get the call. If the decision is to play Lescott with Terry, then Rio's fitness surely isn't a concern as he will be used sparingly as a sub or replace an injured player. He's played regularly since January, if he has a problem with Terry then why hasn't Cole, Lescott, Defoe etc?
  • Options
    Sparrows Lane Lion 10:01AM
    Not sure why Rio didn't get the call. If the decision is to play Lescott with Terry, then Rio's fitness surely isn't a concern as he will be used sparingly as a sub or replace an injured player. He's played regularly since January, if he has a problem with Terry then why hasn't Cole, Lescott, Defoe etc?

It may be to do with the fact that Terry is up in court for racially abusing Rio's brother!
  • Options
    The thing is I think we all know he couldn't pick Terry and Rio for the same squad, it really wouldn't be worth creating divisions, upsetting the squad when away at a tournament. Given the doubts about whether Rio could handle the number of games in a short space of time I think the only option would be to pick Terry then.

Tough call but then again the court case should never have been pushed back to after the tournament, it should have all been sorted and then Roy wouldn't have had to have been put in this situation, but then we would also probably still have Fabio as this would all have been sorted. What an absoulte mess.
  • Options
    Sparrows Lane Lion 10:01AM

It may be to do with the fact that Terry is up in court for racially abusing Rio's brother!
    He is. But if Rio believes Terry is guilty and I'm sure those within the football circle know what he really said, then surely other players also feel uncomfortable playing with an alleged racist?

So surely it would've been better to omit Terry from the squad completely, or is every other player happy to play alongside him?

We don't know whether Rio said he won't play with Terry or not, they should just be honest with it all rather than the farce of calling Kelly up.