Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best & Worst Interview Questions

edited June 2012 in Not Sports Related
Got to do a lot of interviews over the next few days, just putting the finishing touches to the question sheet and looking for a couple of interesting questions for the end - I was wondering if anybody had a good (or bad) question they'd been asked in the past?

Comments

• Options
    Oh yes! I've got a list. This is a good one: In a team, what kind of people do you like to work with and what kind of people would you prefer not to work with?

The answer apparently indicates the sort of person the interviewee is - i.e. you like to work with people that are like you.

If you want more, let me know and I'll dig out the list.
  • Options
    Ah - my daughter has an interview tomorrow and wants me to give her some likely questions she may be asked. I will tip her off on this one in case your the interviewer!
  • Options
    I've used the "fantasy dinner party" Q in the past at the end of an interview - which four or five people would they like to have round for dinner. Helps you to learn a lot more about the person behind the facade - and how they react to a bit of a curve ball question in a pressure situation.
  • Options
    Whats your best impression?
  • Options
    I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help. Possibly the worst interviewee ever. One time at the end of an interview I suggested that they had forgotton to ask me the standard equal ops question. The silence that followed indicated the question wasn't needed!

Quite a basic tip but you should be able to elaborate on any point you have made in your application form.
  • Options
    I sat in an interveiw about 12 years ago with a human resources manager who was a complete dick interviewing a guy for technical post in a laboratory and he asked him "Is a jaffa cake a biscuit or a cake?" we both looked at him like he was mad. Afterwards I asked him waht on earth he was getting at and he claimed it was a test of logic. Unbelievable
  • Options
    i was once asked early on in an interview by the MD of the company which football team I supported. turns out he was Charlton as well and the interview then went off at a tangent. got the job and spent six years there.
  • Options
    I once fell face first into a bowl of playdo
  • Options
    When I interview people I like to see what answer I get from a simple "Tell me about yourself" as the job we interview for involves people getting to know people at fairly short notice. I also take a lot of notice of what people say when I ask if they have any questions. The good ones have done a bit of research on things on our website or in the papers and ask a question that shows they have spent a bit of time looking into what the company that they are being interviewed by actually do. Amazing how many don't do this, even for senior positions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    A popular 'question' at my place of work is..

'Describe yourself in 5 words'.

You will be surprised how many people struggle to answer.
  • Options
    Not really got any questions, but have heard that some interviewers would call the interviewee by a different name to see if they would put them right or not. Also the interviewer would offer a cup of tea/coffee to the interviewee and not put the right amount of sugar in, also to see if the interviewee would speak up.
  • Options
    How about `Do you believe in ghosts?'

;P
  • Options
    Not really got any questions, but have heard that some interviewers would call the interviewee by a different name to see if they would put them right or not. Also the interviewer would offer a cup of tea/coffee to the interviewee and not put the right amount of sugar in, also to see if the interviewee would speak up.
    That's nasty! People tend to be nervous in interviews already and are very unlikely to speak up about something like that.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Not an interview as such but the David Brent/Big Keith appraisal scene from The Office was comedy gold.

Brent: Keith, under strengths you have just put accounts.

Keith: Yeah.

Brent: That's just your job though, isn't it?

Brent: Under weaknesses you have put eczema.

• Options
    A good couple of questions:

1) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    2) What do you consider to be your biggest achievement and why

Refrain from questions that can be answered with a yes or no answer and try and find a topic normally under hobbies to talk about, it can sometimes relax them and you might get a better understanding of what they are like.
  • Options
    I got asked by my interviewer, who had a mug of tea in front of him in a Charlton mug (I kid you not), which team I support, I said Wrexham (no idea why I picked Wrexham), he said 'really?', I said no Charlton but if I had said Charlton you wouldn't have believed me, the next 20 minutes were spent discussing all things CAFC. I got the job and it took them 5 years before they realised I didn't know what the hell I was doing!! ;o)
  • Options

"I am the best candidate"
  • Options

I got asked for 3 words that described how I felt at this monent in an interview once. I was so tempted to say the first 3 words that came into my head - Tired, bored and hungry, but didn't. the problem was I couldn't get them out of my head and sat there umming and erring like a plank. Got the job though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hold up a picture with a 40/60 bird on it and ask "Would Ya?".
  • Options
    How about `Do you believe in ghosts?'

;P
    Stop being scared! Ffs
  • Options
    That's nasty! People tend to be nervous in interviews already and are very unlikely to speak up about something like that.

I think that that is the point.....
  • Options
    Always read the CV beforehand and ask about a specific thing on it to show that you have put effort in that you expect them to.

And never ask Why do you want to work for this company? The answer will always be a lie.

I always ask a few quesitons on people's hobbies, especially if they put reading or something as you often find people lie on that part and can't back up their hobbies and this showns that they might be lying in other parts of their CV.

Make the questions short otherwise people forget what you are asking.
  • Options
    Did an actual 'laugh out loud'

• Options
    If you were an animal what would you be?

A good answer to this is "tiger" - predator, strong etc which is what the interviewer would expect you to say - then reply it means I also get to eat an Indian once a week.

Microsoft allegedly ask "why are manhole covers round?" and another favourite is "How many golfballs do you think are in the air at the moment?".
  • Options
    If you were an animal what would you be?

A good answer to this is "tiger" - predator, strong etc which is what the interviewer would expect you to say - then reply it means I also get to eat an Indian once a week.

And lick your own balls

Microsoft allegedly ask "why are manhole covers round?" and another favourite is "How many golfballs do you think are in the air at the moment?".

The first question's easy. They wouldn't fit the hole if they were square!
  • Options
    If you could be the best employee but have all your coworkers dislike you or you could be an average employee and have all your coworkers like you, which would you choose?
  • Options
    If you could be the best employee but have all your coworkers dislike you or you could be an average employee and have all your coworkers like you, which would you choose?
    I think questions like that are pretty stupid to be honest. Neither actually helps the company, and neither is an actually choice someone could make. One or the other may happen but you don't really decide how other peope feel about you.

Maslow triangle, security is more important than friendship, which is more important than respect. But a company should want its employees at the top of the triangle as that is where the most work gets done.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs