Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Platini

I think it's funny that he can say anything about racism considering how much he hates England, the world cup bids are all about it as he would rather give it to anywhere else than England if that's not racism then I don't know what is.

Comments

• Options
    I think the guys at FIFA and UEFA just award the tournaments to the countries that offer the biggest bribe to them for there vote. For as long as certain people are in the organisations England will never host a competition.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Can you provide some proof of:

1. His hatred of England
    2. He decides who gets the World Cup
    3. He is racist against the English

I ask, because I have not seen any evidence to support any of the above points.
  • Options
    You can dislike a nation without being racist you know. There aren't many european nations that can be defined by race anyway.
  • Options

1. His hatred of England

Great question SheffieldRed. This sort of stuff is trotted out all the time time and becomes so accepted that no-one (until you) ever queries what basis there is for it.
  • Options
    I don't think he's a racist but I do think he's a hypocrite. He's spent so much time criticising Chelsea, City and Utd for their spending while staying silent over Valenica and Real Madrid's debt. A little consistency would be nice. I think he just needs to shut up a little bit more in general really. He's far too opinionated for a supposedly neutral party. Beats Sepp though
  • Options
    I don't think he's a racist but I do think he's a hypocrite. He's spent so much time criticising Chelsea, City and Utd for their spending while staying silent over Valenica and Real Madrid's debt. A little consistency would be nice. I think he just needs to shut up a little bit more in general really. He's far too opinionated for a supposedly neutral party. Beats Sepp though
    Good point, I agree that consistency is the key word here. From hearing him speak about english his lack of consistency is something that has struck with me.
  • Options
    Few of my school mates went on a school trip to Madrid, and got a tour of the Bernabeu. Whilst they were there, my mate saw Platini who was texting on his phone. After politely waiting till he was finished, my mate went over to Platini and asked for an autograph and photo.. Platini took one look at him and said 'no, no thank you i don't do that anymore'...and walked off....my mates could not believe it! They also saw Trevor Brooking who infact was the exact opposite to Platini!
  • Options

1. His hatred of England

Its coz it was in the papers, innit?
  • Options
    I said it a long time ago and I'll say it again..............

The only reason they gave England the Euros in 96 was so they didn't have to give us the World Cup. So when we go on about it, they can say that they gave us a major tournament, as if that justifies their decision.

France has hosted 2 WC's & 2 Euros, same as Italy, Even Belgium have hosted the euros twice (albeit one a joint venture). Germany, 2xWC 1xEuro

They must hate the Spanish as well though as they've hosted one of each, like us.

It's not as if we invented the game or anything, so surely must be down to a lack of facilities.............No?

Maybe because our fans aren't hardcore enough these days, no riots after games, stabbings, throwing of pyrotechnics onto the pitch, all giving the fascist salute in unison..........................

Makes you wonder what we'd have to do.
  • Options
    How did an ugly, chain smoking French-Italian get the job in the first place ? .. an overrated player, a jumped up pontificating preening prima donna of an administrator, he thinks he's Jean-Paul Sartre but is really Inspector Clouseau
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lincsaddick said

How did an ugly, chain smoking French-Italian get the job in the first place ? .. an overrated player, a jumped up pontificating preening prima donna of an administrator, he thinks he's Jean-Paul Sartre but is really Inspector Clouseau

So you like him then?
  • Options
    He's not racist, nor does he hate England IMO. He just offered the competitions to the countries that offered the most money. He probably does care about racism, he made a mistake about handing the most racist footballing countries in Europe, the big events.

Money talks.
  • Options
    I dislike him and do get the distinct impression that he has the traditional French distaste for the English but that works both ways and I wouldn't really call it racism. Is dislike of a nationality racist anyway?
  • Options

1. His hatred of England

Answers to one and three here:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/sports/82236-michel-platinis-shown-he-anti.html

• Options
    I saw his interview last night and frankly he was not able to defend the situation in Ukraine with any credibility. I have no doubt there is an anti-England agenda in FIFA and UEFA there was no sense in awarding the World Cup to Russia in 2018 and even less so to Quatar in 2022. What gets me is that I will never see another World Cup in this country in my lifetime (probably) again and that is sad.
  • Options
    Little England rears up! He was a wonderful player and has done no more to hurt the English game than suggest the kind of financial sense that most of the tabloids that spill bile about him, would suggest anyway. The reason that we don't hear his criticism of Mallorca or PSG or Lazio is because we don't read papers from their home countries.
  • Options
    I think it's funny that he can say anything about racism considering how much he hates England, the world cup bids are all about it as he would rather give it to anywhere else than England if that's not racism then I don't know what is.
    Being anti-English is not racism, as English is a nationality rather than a race. You can accuse him of nationalism but NOT racism, which is a much more serious matter.
  • Options
    Being anti-English is not racism, as English is a nationality rather than a race. You can accuse him of nationalism but NOT racism, which is a much more serious matter.
    Being anti-English is nationalism ? Don't think so. It's xenophobia, which is a form of racism. For the record I highly doubt Platini had an active "anti English" policy, but don't let that get in the way of a hysterical conspiracy theory
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I said it a long time ago and I'll say it again..............

The only reason they gave England the Euros in 96 was so they didn't have to give us the World Cup. So when we go on about it, they can say that they gave us a major tournament, as if that justifies their decision.
    You can say it as many times as you like, doesn't make it true. EUFA award the hosting of the Euros, FIFA the hosting of the World Cup. The processes are different, the rules are different, the objectives are different and the evaluation committees are different.

No one person is consistent about everything throughout their career, and people can change minds. However, Platini was no less critical of the fee involved for Ronaldo as he was for the proposed fee for Kaka (evidence here). Still, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good little-Englander moan.

The lack of financial fair play in the game is destroying competition in England, papered over by the nouveau riche picking up trophies. (That is, Man City winning the league doesn't make for more competition if they've upped the financial unfairness ante). The Premiership and all its riches is having a devastating effect on the rest of football, and I for one applaud Platini for trying to find a policy that addresses it.

Anti-English? Blatter I think has proved that beyond doubt; Platini, critical of how we govern the game yes - but he's going to deliver a certain degree of financial governance in the English game, a duty that the various bodies in this country - Government included - have abdicated. Power to his elbow, if you ask me.

• Options

1. His hatred of England

Answers to one and three here:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/sports/82236-michel-platinis-shown-he-anti.html

If only it were true...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some people on this site have some very large chips on their shoulder
  • Options
    I think there is a lot of anti English feeling in FIFA and UEFA, but rather than it stemming from racism, I think the reasons are that we tend to be openely very critical of them (when I say we- I include our press). We also take every opportunity to remind them who invented the game (football's coming home) at least they think we do.

When Sepp Blatter wanted to soften the blow of us losing the world cup he spoke about us being the inventors of football/ motherland etc... This is because he thinks this is what we want to hear.

As has been shown, the way to get World Cups and major championships is to cosy up. This means you continue to cosy up when something goes against you. And yes it also means you bribe the right people and don't expose wrong doing. Platini isn't corrupt, but I think both bodies are suspicious of us.

• Options
    Overrated? Did you see him play in Euros 1984?
  • Options
    I thought Platini was a fantastic player.
  • Options
    He is not a chauvinistic Nationalist either.

I was really impressed with the quotes attributed to him in an article I read the other day about how some coaches are insisting that all the players learn the words of their national anthems and sing them before the their games.

In August 2010, Laurent Blanc, the newly invested France coach, distributed the lyrics of La Marseillaise to his players and told them to sing it loudly before each match. Of course, because Blanc is a “good guy” and not a Mihajlovic-type hate figure, few batted an eyelid. One of the dissenting voices, however, was that of Michel Platini, now the Uefa president, but once both player and coach of the France national side. He said that he would not have complied with Blanc’s request.

“I love France as much as anyone, but I’ve never sung La Marseillaise,” he told the French magazine So Foot. “It’s a warrior song and it has nothing to do with the game of football. Our adversaries aren’t coming to slit the throats of our women and our children . . . they just want to win the ball.”
  • Options
    If Michel Platini is over-rated then Christ only knows what that makes Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham et al.
  • Options
    If Michel Platini is over-rated then Christ only knows what that makes Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham et al.
    Indeed! Clearly said to get a rise but one of the finest players to have graced the game imo.
  • Options
    Bottom line is he's a dick...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2012/01/27/2869626/uefa-president-michel-platini-dismisses-anti-english

That other dick Blatter is probably worse though, he is so corrupt.
  • Options
    he just comes across as being a prick. so for that reason, i dont like him.
  • Options
    generally you find that the majority of people who go on about how much Platini hates the English, are those who will tell you how much they hate the French !

Over rated ? LOOOOOL, as they say on the street