Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Monday 7.45pm - Ukraine v Sweden - Preview/Match Thread

Ukraine v Sweden – Monday 11th June, 7.45pm kick off

FIFA Rankings:
Ukraine 52
Sweden 17

By the time the second host nation, Ukraine, kick off their hunt for European glory England will have already finished their 90 minutes against the French. Win, loose or draw against them most England fans will still have a very stern eye on what most, some what surprisingly, are assuming to be a fight for third and forth in the group. Indeed before the tournament began many suggested that Sweden, along with Russia, were amongst the dark horses of the tournament. Having all seen Russia’s demolition of the Czech Republic the warning signs are there that Sweden too, could become a ‘surprise package’ of the tournament.

Tactics

After overcoming the bout of food poisoning that struck his squad last week, Oleg Blokhin claims he has a fully fit squad to choose from for Monday. This is Andriy Shevchenko’s 17th year playing for the Ukrainian National team and it will surely be his last. After relying on the centre forward for far too long now, the Ukrainians are finally beginning to branch out and realise their potential in all areas of the pitch. The old midfield engine, Anatoliy Tmoshcuk, will have to play a key role if the Ukrainian’s are to threaten the Swedes but the up and coming star Adriv Yarmolenko could steal the show. Though completely unproven at this level, the Dynamo Kiev striker who many ominously dub the ‘new Shevchenko’, could provide the just the spark the Ukrainians will need. Yarmolenko will play as a right winger while his Dynamo team mate, Artem Milevskiy will lead the line for the Ukrainians with Shevchenko just behind him and Yevhen Konoplyanka out on the right – a front four that Erik Hamren’s Sweden will not take lightly. The problems for the Ukrainians however will come at the other end of the pitch where their leaky defense will struggle to deal with the likes of Ibrahimovic, Toivonen and Larsson.

Indeed if the Ukranian’s front line is one that should not be frowned at, the Swede’s is one that should be feared by any nation they meet. Boasting some of the best talent in Europe, the Swedish front four should not be underestimated by anyone in this competition. If Elmander passes as fit, he should lead the line in a 4-2-3-1 formation that so many England fans will be disappointed not to see against France. Behind him the Hamren’s is likely to play the ever-impressive Toivonen on the right, Ibrahimovic in the whole, and the dangerous Larsson on the left. The key to this Swedish side’s existence in the competition will be the form of star-man Ibra, however even if he has an off day on Monday it would still be a surprise to see Ukraine prevent this side from scoring a few. Kallstrom will try to balance out Tmoschuk’s presence in midfield while the defense, led by Olof Mellberg, looks, just about, strong enough to hold off the Ukrainian’s.

One to Watch

Ukraine – the ‘new shev’ - Adriv Yarmolenko
Sweden – it will be interesting to see how Zlatan Ibrahimovic starts the tournament.

Odds:
Ukraine to win 6/4
Sweden to win 2/1
Draw 2/1

Prediction
England could do with a draw here but they won’t get one. While it was Ukraine who were the surprise package of the 2006 World Cup, the England fans will asking if it could be Sweden this time round…

Ukraine 1 – Sweden 3

Comments

• Options
    Well Elmander is fit - but not certain to play. Key for Sweden is Ibrahimovic's attitude, normally his body language will tell you at an early stage if he is likely to do the business. He seemed uncharacteristically upbeat at the press conference, but I still believe qualification is there for England and France to throw away
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Top stuff Hugo. Since you've been looking into it, can you see any reason, other than home advantage, why Ukraine are favourites ?
  • Options
    Looking forward to the first post saying Ibra is rubbish, never performs when they see him play etc.
  • Options
    Still not sure if to put sweden in my accumulator. Was going to lay a tenner on just france but could double my returns if I add sweden.....
  • Options
    More chance of Sweden beating Ukraine than France beating England IMO
  • Options
    Draw please so they both drop points.
  • Options
    Ukraine V Sweden 1-1 Scoreline (11-2 Betfred)
    Ibrahimovic to score anytime ( 11-5 Sportingbet)
    Half Time Ukraine / Fulltime Draw ( 17-1 Betfair)
  • Options
    Top stuff Hugo. Since you've been looking into it, can you see any reason, other than home advantage, why Ukraine are favourites ?
    I haven't been looking at it particularly, I just happen to live and Sweden and saw the press conference between the 2 games yesterday.

Since you ask, I have no great faith in the Swedish teams but I supsect in this case the rankings sum the situation up:

Sweden are borderline and probably one of the weakest teams in this competition. Ukraine wouldn't be anywhere near it if it weren't for the host status.

• Options
    The clash of the Brazil lookalikes .. colours at least. This has all the makings of a bore (zzzzzzzz) draw
  • Options
    Looking forward to the first post saying Ibra is rubbish, never performs when they see him play etc.
    Well since no-one else appears to be willing I will: I never watch the Champions League and consequently only see him playing for Sweden. As a rule he can't be arsed. But there's a first time for everything....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well since no-one else appears to be willing I will: I never watch the Champions League and consequently only see him playing for Sweden. As a rule he can't be arsed. But there's a first time for everything....
    He is not the only player I have seen with a bad attitude, when at his best he can rip a defence apart!
  • Options
    So what do we want to happen here result wise now ?
  • Options
    Another Draw . With both Sweden and Ukraine still to play France that would be the best result - I Think :)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    A draw, I suppose

He is not the only player I have seen with a bad attitude, when at his best he can rip a defence apart!
    That's what makes him so frustrating - he would struggle beat Wayne Rooney in "Brain of Britain"
  • Options
    Crikey, Thomas Brolin is in the studio - he looks like he's increased his bodyweight another 50% since his Palarse days. Is he training for the world darts?
  • Options
    yellow draw please.
  • Options
    shevchenko - what a miss.

i remember him being like the torres of the day at chelsea. big hopes for him, big let down or have a i remembered that wrong?
  • Options
    They both look very average.
  • Options
    Need Sweden to win for my bet to win so if anyone wants free money, back them not to!
  • Options
    v dull, as if they're treading in custard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you'll get a better price now too :)
  • Options
    Get in there !! £££££
  • Options
    Like I say
  • Options
    Ssshhhheeeeevvvvveeeerrrrrsssss
  • Options
    what a head
  • Options
    what a tiny gap!
  • Options
    fairytail stuff
  • Options
    what a head
    And again

Fair play shevvers
  • Options
    I told you all to listen to me :) guaranteed money!
  • Options
    There's your answer, Suzi.

Svensson and Källström - that's like trying to accomodate Lampard and Gerrard in the same midfield