Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tedious flat roof related thread

My flat roof (currently asphalt) has started leaking so obviously needs replacing. I have had a couple of quotes and it seems there are various different products on the market now for flat roofs including:

- Trifex Protect - liquid covering;
- Firestone - EPDM rubber and
- Rubberbond - fleeceback rubber.

In terms of cost they are all much of a muchness but I have no idea which one to choose. Has anyone used any of these products or otherwise had experience of them?

Apologies in advance for starting probably one of the dullest threads of the year.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    LOL.
  • Options
  • Options

Apologies in advance for starting probably one of the dullest threads of the year.

I dont know about that mate , have you read some of Razils ?
  • Options
    Well, just for once I'm wide awake.

I've got a leaking flat roof on an outbuilding.

Serious answers please ...?
  • Options
    Spent years and money trying to fix a leak from the flat roof. It turned out it was not the flat roof at all but a badly fitted window on top of it. Always worth checkig where the water is really coming from.
  • Options
    I think Delroofer might be the man.

We've all sprung leaks in this weather.
  • Options
    I think Delroofer might be the man.

We've all sprung leaks in this weather.
    How do you know he's a roofer? Are you the real Curbs? And is Oggy red? ;o)
  • Options
    Well I used to read a lot.....in those days I was Oggy well Red.
    But otherwise I'm just browned off with the weather, like the rest of you.
  • Options
    My son can do you a triflex roof for a decent price...
    inbox me your details he will give you a free quote.
    If the felt is hopeless his best friend will do you a new felt roof quote.

For all you other lot try this song....
    I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
    And stops my mind from wandering, where it will go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0I2ZrBuFdQ
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, I am a roofer. Ask AFKA for a reference if necessary.

If you would like me to have a look and advise you I will be happy to. No charge & no obligation.

(And may I say this is one of the most interesting threads we have ever had on here!! )

;o)
  • Options
    Thanks Ken and Delroofer for the offers of quotes - I live in Surrey though so will save you the trouble! I've had 4 quotes already so I've got an idea of price, I was just after the inside track on the products available.
  • Options
    OK HH.

I would be happy to advise on the different systems but you should obviously be aware that the product is not so important as the way that it is installed. The same product fitted by different people will give varying results. Check the guarantee you are offered as well. You should only be interested in an insurance-backed guarantee or warranty that covers both materials and workmanship. (Our flat roofing system has a 15 year warranty for comparison). I would be interested to know if your existing roof is to be replaced or overlaid. There is nothing wrong with overlaying a roof if it is in sound condition, and if it is properly prepared.
    Has your roof been leaking for a while, and is it possible that water ingress may have damaged the decking or be trapped within it? If so, I would not recommend having the roof overlaid.
    Triflex is well known to us, and provides a seamless finish and should be fine if laid in suitable conditions.
    EPDM systems work fine if they can be left undisturbed, but are quite easily damaged by foot traffic so avoid using this if window cleaners, etc are liable to be walking over it.
    Rubberbond is a recent addition that is being widely offered to contractors by the distributors. I have got samples and literature and it looks quite robust, but I cannot vouch for the product as I have not seen it installed.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if I can help you further.

delroofer
  • Options
    Further advice to the above for HH.......

Don't pay money up front. Tell them you will pay as soon as you are satisfied with the finished job.

Don't be tempted to pay cash as the work will have to be "legitimate" to allow a warranty to be provided.

Be sure that there are no hidden extras. If new boarding (ie plywood decking) is required, are you aware of the cost BEFORE the roof is stripped up?

Ask for evidence of their Public Liability Insurance before they start work.

If you are up to it, watch the work being carried out - or at least let them think that you will be.
  • Options
    That's great advice, Delroofer.......that should help distinguish quality work from the cowboys.

• Options
    Top guy Delroofer - came and looked at my roof and said it was ok for a while yet. I bet there's a lot of cowboys out there that would have found some "problems" and charged a small fortune to fix them. Recommended.
  • Options
    Echo the above, very pleased (so far !!) with the work his firm did for me, and the personal and professional way it was gone about. Can highly recommend.
  • Options
    There you go, Mr Heath Hero.

Despite the distance, It may prove a sound investment to award the contract to Mr Delroofer.

He knows what he's talking about - and comes with glowing references.
    The man to trust in the flat roof world!

;o)

• Options
    You on commission Oggy :-)
  • Options
    Now that would be handy!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    What flat roofing system do you use Del?
  • Options
    Delta 2000.

A polyester-based torch-on system that, as I stated above, comes with a 15 year warranty.

It does exactly what it is supposed to do - if laid correctly! I have seen others use exactly the same system only to leave the roof in a worse condition than they found it.
  • Options
    Delroofer - thanks very much indeed for the top tips, hugely valuable inside knowledge. Good to know that you rate Triflex - I've got a 20 year warranty on the materials and a 10 year insurance backed guarantee on the workmanship from the contractor that I'm going to use.
  • Options
    HH. As I said above, Triflex is a great product.

Try to ensure it is only laid when the conditions are suitable. Problems can arise if it is subjected to damp or extreme cold soon after it is applied.

Good luck, I am sure it will all go well. Not all roofers are cowboys I am pleased to say.
  • Options
    The company I've found seem fairly kosher. They are due to lay it on Saturday but only if it's dry, which is consistent with what you've said.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to carry on with the buckets!
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for dry weather HH.

The forecast isn't good for Saturday from what I've seen. The critical part is while the roof is open (if they are stripping up the old one) and immediately after the base coat has been applied. They will need it dry before they start, and for a period of time after the material has been laid.
  • Options
    @delroofer, what is your view of the fibreglass coatings for flat roofs?
  • Options
    @delroofer, what is your view of the fibreglass coatings for flat roofs?
    From the top of a ladder, good, from the ground not so.
  • Options
    What type of fibre glass roofing the range available in the roofing trade at the moment is so open
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Now here's a thing:
    I have a flat roof at the TOP of my house. The previous owner was a builder and extended backwards and sideways from a three-bed.
    (He wasn't allowed to increase the height of the roof.)
    When I bought the place this prevented the use of any new-fangled stuff due to the fact they could not wrap over the side and under the edge.
    They replaced the existing asphalt having lifted the ridge tiles on all four sides.
    These were replaced (with drainage gaps in the pointing) to save the roof collapsing under the weight of held water.
    Time for a re-do. Do I still need to have it asphalted or are there new products that will do a better job?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance!