Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tedious flat roof related thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    Do you water ingress at the moment. I assume by the gaps that these are the roof outlets which if are running through the ridge line allowing your drainage down a tiled face? Depending on where you live sometimes determines what goes back on the roof. For products there are numerous offering varying guarantees.
  • Options
    Yes. Sorry I didn't make it very clear. Gaps to allow drainage down normal-looking tiled roof. Live in Essex (hence user name!).
    No problems at the moment (as far as I am aware) and hoping to keep it that way for some time yet :-)
  • Options
    @delroofer, what is your view of the fibreglass coatings for flat roofs?
    There are a wide range of "liquid coatings" available for flat roofs and these range from DIY-type products that are little more than a heavy-duty paint to more substantial sysyems that comprise of resin-impregnated polyester fleece in multiple layers.

As I stated above, these systems can be affected by adverse weather conditions and I have seen examples of similar systems that have gone pear-shaped. If our weather was more predictable I would be more positive about the use of them.

• Options
    Now here's a thing:
    I have a flat roof at the TOP of my house. The previous owner was a builder and extended backwards and sideways from a three-bed.
    (He wasn't allowed to increase the height of the roof.)
    When I bought the place this prevented the use of any new-fangled stuff due to the fact they could not wrap over the side and under the edge.
    They replaced the existing asphalt having lifted the ridge tiles on all four sides.
    These were replaced (with drainage gaps in the pointing) to save the roof collapsing under the weight of held water.
    Time for a re-do. Do I still need to have it asphalted or are there new products that will do a better job?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    Most asphalt roofs should be protected from the effects of the weather by applying - and maintaining - a coating of solar-reflective paint. In most cases this is not carried out, and it means the roof covering is exposed to the damaging effects of sunlight, frost etc, which can cause the asphalt to slump, blister and split.
    Where roof is difficult to access, such as your crown flat roof I presume, it is unlikely that it will have been protected as described. I normally suggest that the new roof be virtually maintenance-free and would usually lay the Delta 2000 system with a mineral-surfaced cap layer. This can either be installed as a replacement or overlay covering, depending on the condition of the original asphalt.
    I am also based in Essex (Harlow to be precise) and will be happy to have a look if you ever need some specific advice.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Anyone do thatched? ;-)
  • Options
    I have a asphalt roof which has done all of the mentioned. This roof needs replacing, architect suggested EPDM, it will only be walked on after for general house maintenance. I have a new dormer going in and again the suggestion is EPDM.

However I will have a new large balcony being created part of extension, that's why I was asking about fibreglass coverings. I spoke to a couple of company's at an exhibition and they said there product was better wearing for this purpose although slightly dearer. I am only staying in the property for another 6 to 7 years and then will be selling. Budget is important as it is only part of what I have got to pay out for.

I have seen metal flat roofs on TV that seem good but imagine they are expensive.

Delroofer thanks for your honest comments on this overall thread. Your opinion would be welcome.
  • Options
    SF
    I am rather negative towards EPDM as I have seen so many properties that have leaks from them, including a Health Centre, a Leisure Complex and Volvo Cars head office, that I tend to steer clients away from them. Foot traffic has to be very limited - and the use of ladders avoided unless the surface is protected - as it can be easily punctured. Architects often suggest a particular product because it has been promoted in trade literature by manufacturers and distributors. It is not always the best - or most suitable option available.

If you are considering a seamless roof for your balcony, I suggest you consider a flexible polyester-type material rather than a rigid GRP-type one. The Triflex system mentioned previously is a good system if you want to think about something like that.
  • Options
    @delroofer/@CAFCBourne
    Thanks for your advice. My roof is now 12 years old and I believe that to be a good age for this sort of thing. I thought I would take the opportunity of the fine weather we are experience (!) to look at replacement now – before, hopefully, it becomes urgent. The area is around 15ft x 10ft (I am guessing) but obviously scaffolding etc. would be required. Some idea of costs for various treatments would be handy - see pic attached.
  • Options
    Some ladder you.must have had to take that pic wickford !
  • Options
    wickford
    12 years is quite young for an asphalt roof and I would normally expect it to last 2 or 3 times as long as that. A tower and throw-in at high level will probably cost between £500 - £750 & VAT depending on access, etc., but I can get you a quote as and when you are ready.
    The cost of the roofing work depends on several factors, including the condition of the existing asphalt and whether we can overlay it or have to strip it up and replace it. It also depends on how easily the ridge tiles can be lifted to avoid damaging the roof tiles on the adjoining slopes and whether they can be reused or have to be replaced. I would suggest that you should budget between £1000-£2000 plus VAT depending on the the possible variables.
    A consideration for when you are ready to have the work done would be to get the scaffolding erected BEFORE you get the quotes for the roofing work. The contractors can each have the same access to survey the affected area and provide accurate quotes (note the word "quote" - not estimates) rather than to make assumptions based on Google images or views from ground level.
    A scaffold company should be able to leave scaffolding up for a fixed price for up to 6 weeks in many cases. Plenty of time to obtain quotes, make a decision and get the work carried out properly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I should also mention that AFKA is a perfect client, but it has been hard to convince him that his leaking roof is now consigned to history.

I even arranged for a years rainfall over the last few weeks to completely watertest it!

• Options
    I'm sure I overheard someone say that you need a ladder to take all your pictures, AFKA?

;o)

• Options
    I should also mention that AFKA is a perfect client, but it has been hard to convince him that his leaking roof is now consigned to history.

I even arranged for a years rainfall over the last few weeks to completely watertest it!
    Yes but we've all been mentally scarred by his leaking roof. Everytime I saw rain I thought of him and the babies being dripped upon.

• Options

Yes but we've all been mentally scarred by his leaking roof. Everytime I saw rain I thought of him and the babies being dripped upon.

yep, although my mental picture was always the boys getting soaked. whilst standing in their cage whilst their parents watch tv.
  • Options
    'and this is what is was like on the old east terrace - none of your poncey roofs back then'
  • Options
    Many Thanks, Delroofer
  • Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options

yep, although my mental picture was always the boys getting soaked. whilst standing in their cage whilst their parents watch tv.
    This has really made me laugh !

We are quite a normal family, honest !

Cheers Del
  • Options
    I am having a dormer flat roof installed as part of aloft conversion underway.sorry to take this slightly off tangent but would delroofer or anyone else recommend sun tubes which I think are manufactured by velux? I am a bit concerned that they might leak aground the seals after they have been fitted but they do seem an interesting product utilizing natural light .thanks for any answers
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    @afka – I keep it in my tights!

@delroofer – Thanks for your advice. I was told twelve years when I had the original work done. Maybe I'll have a chat with mrs wickford and get back to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am having a dormer flat roof installed as part of aloft conversion underway.sorry to take this slightly off tangent but would delroofer or anyone else recommend sun tubes which I think are manufactured by velux? I am a bit concerned that they might leak aground the seals after they have been fitted but they do seem an interesting product utilizing natural light .thanks for any answers
    There are many different companies producing sun tubes. They can provide natural light where it is difficult to get a roof window to effectively work, such us on an upstairs landing for example. Where in relation to the dormer flat roof were you thinking of having the sun tube? They are designed to fit into a sloping tiled or slated roof. If you want natural light through the flat roof then go for a purpose-made flat roof window instead.