Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Argument at work - Is Danny Welbeck a target man?

Heated debate going on across my desk.
Some saying he is a target man, others saying he is a striker or just a plain old forward.

What are your collective views?

Comments

• Options
    Not a target man couldn't control a bag of wet sand. Monday night he failed to hold anything up and the ball was coming straight back down our throats
  • Options
    No, a target man holds the ball up to bring other players into the game, that's not really Wellbecks strong point, although if he plays upfront on his own then of course he'll have to incorporate elements of that into his game.
  • Options
    no, just because he's fairly tall does not make him a target man which implies banging the ball up to him and working off the scraps or him heading the ball into the net. his goals for Man U suggest he has a bit of everything about him...can hold the ball up, not a bad finisher...goal against Belgium was a smart take. still very raw & lots to learn.

i'd just call him a centre forward but then what do I know!
  • Options
    no he's not, pretty similar to Darren Bent but not as good
  • Options
    A little known fact about young Danny.

His father is a bomb disposal expert called Stan.

* sorry *
  • Options
    A little known fact about young Danny.

His father is a bomb disposal expert called Stan.

* sorry *
    Jokes like this can blow up in your face!!!!

• Options
    You can be a striker/forward and a target man. Wellbeck is not a target man. I'd go with Macronate and call him a centre forward
  • Options
    No he is not a target man. He is not strong is the air and doesn't hold the ball up that much.

Now Carroll on the other hand he is a class target man. ; )
  • Options
    Can't agree his first touch is poor. I think he is an intelligent footballer who will never be prolific but will score a good amount of goals and make many more. Paul Hayes anyone. In answer to the question. No he's not a target man.
  • Options
    Saw a bit of him last couple of years.

He's definitely not a target man. But have you ever seen him and Arsenio Hall in the same room?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No, he's more of a 'waiting on the shoulders on the CBs' type of striker. Like Torres last night

Bobby Zamora is a target man, he's a great outlet and can shield the ball, enabling midfielders to join the attack. Carl Leaburn was also a target man...
  • Options
    Nope no way a target man
  • Options
    Not a target man couldn't control a bag of wet sand. Monday night he failed to hold anything up and the ball was coming straight back down our throats
    completely disagree, thought he held the ball up excellently at times although he is certainly not a target man. I agree he sometimes turnt back and played the ball into midfield, but I would rather that than trying to go for goal and giving away possession straight away.

• Options
    In no way is he a target man.

Just out of curiosity, is the debate going on between people who have only ever seen football on tv and are unaware there is football played outside the Premiership?
  • Options
    do some work
  • Options
    He's certainly not a target man but he is the best we have got until Rooney is back. Carroll is not good enough to be an International player in my opinion.
  • Options
    Advanced Forward / Poacher

Not a TargetMan
  • Options
    Define target man. To me it's a player you can 'target' for long balls because he has a knack of winning headers, chesting the ball down, and holding it up while players join the attack. Welbeck may be capable of this, but his primary attribute is scoring goals and getting behind the back line.
  • Options
    NO...Carroll yes
  • Options
    In no way is he a target man.

Just out of curiosity, is the debate going on between people who have only ever seen football on tv and are unaware there is football played outside the Premiership?
    I agree with the first point and suspect you may be right in your assumption on the second too. I think some 'fans' see a big strong bloke playing in the centre forward position and assume that he must be a "target man" because that's far easier than actually watching his game and making an informed judgement. As others have pointed out Carroll is the classic target man so just contrast with him and there's your answer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks, I feel vindicated.

The guy is a Liverpool fan but is normally quite on the ball and logical about football, but I had to put him straight when he said, why would we start with two target men.
  • Options
    Bit like Andy Cole i feel..decent in the air and quick...bit like Darren Bent.
  • Options
    Im sorry to say I don’t actually rate him at all. Now I know that was not the question. My opinion of him is a quick nippy forward that plays off the main target man. So on that bases he is just a simple forward/winger at best.
    Anyway I will love him to bits if he gets the winner tonight and will support him through and through
  • Options
    Hope he sticks one in the onion bag tonight!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Not a target man but Woy is playing down channels so doesn't need to be. Quick feet, pacy but CCC quality for me, not Prem and certainly a poor international player, but even BWP would have a chance of getting a goal if selected. What SAF sees in him, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    He just showed the world what fergie sees in him with that finish tonight
  • Options
    He just showed the world what fergie sees in him with that finish tonight
    Are you on a wind up nla ? Great finish my arse. Jumped for joy when it went in but I don't think he knew feck all about it.
  • Options
    Agree with NLA was a world class finish.
  • Options
    Yep. Brilliant finish. No doubt about it.
  • Options
    Thought he was just trying to get a touch on it hoping to control it