Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Government postpones planned 3p fuel duty increase

Until next year which is nice...BUT

My local garage has dropped its price from £1.42 down to £1.28 over the past few weeks.

I use http://www.petrolprices.com/ to find the cheapest garage and its brilliant, especially if there is an Asda nearby.

The local supermarket raised its price by 4p a litre today, the same day it offers 6p off a litre promotion.

It all seems like nonsense pricing where 3p here or there is inconsequential incomprehensible to me. (EDIT - dont get me wrong, love and need a price drop, I meant that there seems to be such little co-ordination between crude oil prices and the dancing prices charged at the pumps.)

Comments

• Options
    Welcome news for me as I drive back and forth to Maidstone for work. Bit odd by Osborne though given his comments on budget day.
  • Options
    As a signed-up member of the fair fuel campaign I am delighted by this news. Every little helps. I applaud the fact that the retailers have reduced their prices, but that shouldn't distract from the fact that a further increase in duty has been postponed.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Welcome news for me as I drive back and forth to Maidstone for work. Bit odd by Osborne though given his comments on budget day.
    Bit of a timing balls-up. It was supposed to come out and blanket over the announcement that (Government owned) RBS has been hacked, and taken a week to sort it itself out, but the bank were too slow.

:)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Don't be suckered into thinking retailers are doing us all a favour by dropping their prices 10 or 15 pence a litre . The cost to them has dropped much , much more than that in the last couple of months .It wouldn't surprise me that the 3p increase that has been cancelled , is an agreement with the Government and the retailers to make it look like they are doing us a massive favour , when quite clearly both have been shafting us from all angles .
  • Options
    Don't be suckered into thinking retailers are doing us all a favour by dropping their prices 10 or 15 pence a litre . The cost to them has dropped much , much more than that in the last couple of months .It wouldn't surprise me that the 3p increase that has been cancelled , is an agreement with the Government and the retailers to make it look like they are doing us a massive favour , when quite clearly both have been shafting us from all angles .
    Beds. So young yet so cynical ;0)

• Options
    Beds. So young yet so cynical ;0)

Young ? No so - Cynical ? damn right :)

• Options
    U turn number.....?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Paxman is tearing the govt's spokesperson on this latest u-turn apart at the moment. She's like 4th former in front of the headmaster and looks like she's about to implode.
  • Options
    Paxman is tearing the govt's spokesperson this u-turn apart at the moment. She's like 4th former in front of the headmaster and looks like she's about to implode.
    would you though?
  • Options
    Paxman is tearing the govt's spokesperson this u-turn apart at the moment. She's like 4th former in front of the headmaster and looks like she's about to implode.
    would you though?
    I'd say I was going to...then change my mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    would you though?
    Just checked her out, she'd have to take the glasses off (like Adrienne in Rocky) before you could really assess it properly.

• Options
    Poor Chloe Smith. Eaten and spat out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bddWaHuxTzc

• Options
    Brilliant footage Falconwood!
  • Options
    I really enjoyed that!

Paxman turned her inside out.

I'm sure our resident Tory spokesman, Mr Floyd Montana - will find a way to justify yet another bungling government budgetary indecision.

;o)
  • Options
    What a brave man Gideon Osborne is, sending out a rookie minister to face Paxman to fess up to his latest populist u-turn.

At first Paxo was going easy on her but after a while you could see him get the hump and go through the gears.

Dreadful policy from the government, they basically do whatever The Sun tells them to, at least Major (a very decent man) had the balls to stick to his policies once they were announced.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I really enjoyed that!

I'm sure our resident Tory liberal - get it right ;-) spokesman, Ms Floyd Montana - will find a way to justify yet another bungling government budgetary indecision.

;o)
  • Options
    Getting dizzy with all these U-turns...have they actually thought through any policy at all? I appreciate that there will never be a government policy that satisfies all the electorate, but this just makes them seem weak, confused, incompetent and any other words they tried tarring Labour with on their handling of the economy.

Right that it has been delayed...shambles in getting to the decision. Being shown up as very naïve and hardly trusted with being able to run the country/economy.
  • Options
    Spot on Tel.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I really enjoyed that!

I'm sure our resident Tory liberal - get it right ;-) spokesman, Ms Floyd Montana - will find a way to justify yet another bungling government budgetary indecision.

;o)
    Sorry, Floyd - didn't realise you were a liberal (small letter L ? ) and a lady.

• Options
    TelMc32:

It could be argued that the Government is listening to the will of the voters, and modifying unpopular policies.

Nobody will ever do a worse job than Gordon Brown - be thankful he has gone. Whatever replaced him is an improvement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really enjoyed that!

;o)
    Sorry, Floyd - didn't realise you were a liberal (small letter L ? ) and a lady.

No need to apologise - small and large letter L for me please Bob.
    I'm a woman trapped in a mans body...

• Options
    edited June 2012
    It does rather perturb me that the Tory government is dressing this up as their kindly helping out the poor beleaguered voter ....when in fact it was their idea in the first place to introduce it.

Now that's what I call spin.

Anyway, it's only a stay of execution.

The Tories will find a way to introduce it as soon as they can - possibly stealthily in the shadow of some other event yet to happen, when they think nobody is looking.

Can you trust them....?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Is there any credible alternative?

Personally I like to think (probably cuckoo land) that the Liberals are having a positive input - there must be so much bargaining in what is after all a coalition government. I also hope that the Liberals had a hissy fit at the proposed changes to education revealed in the leaked draft memo.
  • Options
    I'm sure this will be sneaked back under the carpet when we're worrying about something else , like snow or how we're going to pay for the Olympics.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Brilliant - Paxman is a legend.
    It's fantastic watching politicians squirm ! Especially a Tory/Liberal .
  • Options
    I disagree with it. They should have kept the increase. Where are they going to find the extra £55bn that would have been raised through this increase in fuel duty ?

• Options
    I disagree with it. They should have kept the increase. Where are they going to find the extra £55bn that would have been raised through this increase in fuel duty ?

Jimmy Carr?
  • Options
    TelMc32:

It could be argued that the Government is listening to the will of the voters, and modifying unpopular policies.

Nobody will ever do a worse job than Gordon Brown - be thankful he has gone. Whatever replaced him is an improvement.
    Complete crap.

Osborne has spent every waking moment telling everyone since he won power that austerity measures were the only solution on the table and that there was to be no return to Keynesian policies - ie, more borrowing.

What's he doing now the economy is contracting? Yep, you guessed it, he's borrowing more money - which is the same policy the previous government had been deploying.

God knows Brown made some howlers and Labour were ready for the departure gates but I don't see how Osbourne is any sort of improvement, he has the backbone of a jelly fish.

How many more u-turns can a Chancellor execute before his position becomes untenable? Even the likes of Fraser Nelson are abandoning him.
  • Options
    It's hard to complain about the fuel tax rise not happening but on a broader note it's worrying when only nine or ten weeks ago our chancellor stated that he had no plans to shelve the increase and that when the pump price was some pence per litre more that is currently is. Either he really is a "listening" politician or stumbles from one policy change to the next without much thought or plan. I know which I suspect is the right one.
  • Options
    Paxo really did stuff her.