Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Government postpones planned 3p fuel duty increase

13»

Comments

• Options
    They were delivered in a Budget Floyd. As part of a series of about-turns* even modifying or delaying a policy, just gives an impression of incompetent weakness. Doesn't matter which party is in government if this is what they do.

*to avoid using any thatcher sound bite or be associated with her!
  • Options
    I think the current count is in the high 20's/low 30's for Cameron-Clegg u-turns about turns since the election.
  • Options
    It's called popular politics.

I'm all for it, if it means I have to pay less for fuel/chicken & mushroom pies/VAT reductions/extra money for charities.

Gutted about the reversal on caravans though - should either be charged road tax or forced to travel between the hours of midnight and six am.
  • Options
    Bournemouth - ;-)

Addickted - I think we've seen this response debated already. We can only reap what we sow. You can enjoy your chicken & mushroom pies now, but you'll have less chance of finding a doctor/nurse to treat your heart disease/diabetes/obesity later on!
  • Options
    Interesting Question Time.
    Paddy Ashdown talks nothing but sense, all the time.
  • Options
    Yes, she got stuffed by Paxman and that was entertaining.
    But - and this is the sad thing - in typical Paxman style, his ego was more important than anything meaningful. He spent virtually the whole interview wasting all our time asking stupid questions about trivial matters and missed the opportunity of getting a Treasury Minister to inform the viewers on stuff that actually matters/blockquote>

Sorry but that's a load of cobblers cafcfan. The story was about yet another in a long line of u-turns made on the hoof, on the basis of a headline in the popular press and seemingly without the knowledge of ministers directly effected by it. What is he supposed to do, give them a free pass?

Trivial? I'm sorry there wasn't more 'good' news for you about public sector workers losing their jobs, but if you think that our government changing it's mind more often than Boris changes his pants and £500m having to be found elsewhere is a trivial matter I'd suggest your priorities are a bit out a whack.
    Poor girl destroyed by labour tv, sorry BBC,, in typical bully boy Paxman style.

Of course he would be exactly the same with a young labour lady.

A litre of petrol was 61.7p in 1997.....
    Look - my point here is that Paxman teased out, umm, precisely nothing that we didn't know already. It was therefore a wasted interview and a waste of Paxman's excellent interview skills. There were very many other issues that he could have discussed with a Treasury Minister that could have shone a light on what the government intends to do (or not do) to get us out of the mess we are in.
  • Options
    Addickted - I think we've seen this response debated already. We can only reap what we sow. You can enjoy your chicken & mushroom pies now, but you'll have less chance of finding a doctor/nurse to treat your heart disease/diabetes/obesity later on!
    No problems. The money I save will pay for my BUPA subscriptions.

I eat a lot of Chicken & Mushroom pies :-)

• Options

;-)
  • Options

;-)
    Important fiscal question. Hot or cold?
  • Options
    Tepid - that way I only pay 5% VAT.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I disagree with it. They should have kept the increase. Where are they going to find the extra £55bn that would have been raised through this increase in fuel duty ?

If only it was as simple as that - if the increase stifles the economy it costs more than it creates. This country's wealth has significantly shrunk so austerity is required but it isn't like cutting your household budgets - growth cannot be ignored and should be factored into all decisions about cuts because without it, you are cutting but still borrowing more!!!