Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best National Anthem ?

Just had the Euros and now only days away from the Olympics. Have had a will soon have Anthems from all over ringing in our ears. There are some wonderfully stirring anthems and some really quite comical ones. Which one really do it for you. I have a top five that I could actually listen to at any time.

1 French. Great tune and rises to a great crescendo and is very stirring.

2 Russian. Another lovely tune and very evocative. Stirring when sung by the Red Army Choir

3. Scottish. Passionate and great tune.

4. USA. Unmistakeable and perfect as an anthem.

5. European Union (sorry Len) not national I know but an anthem and possibly one of the greatest pieces of music ever written.

Comments

• Options
    Always liked the Italian one. Bobs along quite nicely.
  • Options
    Got to be Italy! Really like one the irish ones they play at rugby as well.

Worst- Spain...
  • Options
    I like Germany's, but I always sing along with the words to the hymn 'Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken'.

Spain's is awful, the players clearly don't believe in it either, as I don't think I've ever seen them sing along (do I post a smiley face now, to indicate that that was a joke?)
  • Options
    We must be the worst - we have the British National anthem which should be reserved for British teams. We need to start using Jerusalem -then we will have the best.
  • Options
    Worst - USA.
    Horrible, boring song. Gets sung at no particular pace, but just seems to drag on and on.
  • Options
    We must be the worst - we have the British National anthem which should be reserved for British teams. We need to start using Jerusalem -then we will have the best.
    More religion? No thanks!

SHG likes the French one - he may really enjoy the Peruvian one which contains a bit of the French one in it. (and drags on a bit at 7 verses, but not as much as the Uruguayan one which I believe is the longest.)

• Options
    I don't see Jerusalem as religeous. I think the somg harks back to ancient times when Jerusalem was a place were all creeds lived together in peace. I think it says so much about how we want modern England to be. A place of beauty, equality and fairness.
  • Options
    Italian for sure. Ours is pants tbh. Ours would be much better as D.I.S.C.O
  • Options
    mind you it is religeous, but I think it can be interpreted differently -some say it is a workers song.
  • Options
    I like Germany's, but I always sing along with the words to the hymn 'Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken'.

Spain's is awful, the players clearly don't believe in it either, as I don't think I've ever seen them sing along (do I post a smiley face now, to indicate that that was a joke?)
    The Spanish National Anthem is the only one with no official words to it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    mind you it is religeous, but I think it can be interpreted differently -some say it is a workers song.
    Its about as religious as they (Second) come!

• Options
    Germany,
  • Options
    The poet asks three questions. All are to be answered negatively, putting to rest the misconceived theory that Blake was a proponent of Jesus having visited England in ancient times. Clearly, since Jerusalem
    was NOT built in England, then it stands to reason that NONE of the questions are to be answered in the affirmative. Blake\'s message is that England was too far away from Christ, and that it is now a foresaken
    land due to man\'s exploitation of man (the \"Satanic Mills\").
    Blake was a radical revolutionary. Although the religious establishment would argue that Jerusalem will only be built on Christ\'s return, Blake goes against this, and exhorts people to build Jerusalem HERE AND NOW. Jerusalem won\'t come simply by waiting for Christ - Jerusalem will be built by the efforts of individuals pursuing the \"mental fight\", i.e. through social action.
    This is the reason why many conservative religious leaders don\'t like this poem. It argues that it\'s not enough to wait for the next life, that one must seek social change now (something that the ruling class does not want).

Maybe not a good anthem with this government in charge!!
  • Options
    Not Jerusalem thanks, was my school song, and to be honest I'm not too comfortable with having a capital of another country as the title of our anthem, its just a tad weird.
  • Options
    Lana Del Rey's
  • Options
    Italy all the way, an eccentric, cheerful pom-pom-de pom that typifies the country it represents. Certainly MotoGP has been all the duller since we ceased hearing it for Rossi on the podium.
  • Options
    No surprise to see more England slagging in this thread!

I like God Save The Queen - short and sharp.
  • Options
    1. Uruguay
    2. Russian
    3. Chile
    4. Eire
    5. England
    Italy and Germany get honourable mentions.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm with Sam. Having a foreign city as the title for an anthem is bizarre. If you are going to do that you might as well go the whole hog and do it properly: Pick New York, New York and have all the players doing high kicks in the line, it could double up as pre-match warm ups as well.
  • Options
    Welsh National Anthem by a country mile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never knew it was written by - A Countrymile ;0)

• Options
    Very talented lad from down Neath way!!! lol
  • Options
    Heard the national anthem of Bhutan the other day on radio 5....I liked it alot.
  • Options
    1. Russia
    2. Wales
    3. France
    4. Former East Germany
    5. Chile
  • Options
    Got to agree with richie8! The welsh anthem
  • Options
    I would say as follows

1) France - really great crescendo
    2) Wales - Nothing like it being sung at a Rugby International in the Millenium Stadium
    3) Germany - Just a good tune

Worst
    1) Ours - Dirgy
    2) Ireland - Sounds like a sing song after a piss up......well that would right then!
  • Options
    Choir

Isn't this God save the queen ?

• Options
    Choir

Isn't this God save the queen ?

Land of my fathers?...I think.
  • Options
    I believe ours is the only one in 3/3.
  • Options
    Here is a link to my fav version of our welsh anthem, it starts at about 2mins.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TMS-AbQ308