Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best National Anthem ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    1 O Canada
    2 I like ours but the Sex Pistols version should be played
  • Options
    1 O Canada
    2 I like ours but the Sex Pistols version should be played
    Sex Pistols is a much better version of ours.
  • Options
    Italy's goes on forever and sounds like it could have been written by Guiseppe Verdi
  • Options
    Amhrán na bhFiann - love it.

• Options
    Ours should be Land of Hope and Glory!
  • Options
    The poet asks three questions. All are to be answered negatively, putting to rest the misconceived theory that Blake was a proponent of Jesus having visited England in ancient times. Clearly, since Jerusalem
    was NOT built in England, then it stands to reason that NONE of the questions are to be answered in the affirmative. Blake\'s message is that England was too far away from Christ, and that it is now a foresaken
    land due to man\'s exploitation of man (the \"Satanic Mills\").
    Blake was a radical revolutionary. Although the religious establishment would argue that Jerusalem will only be built on Christ\'s return, Blake goes against this, and exhorts people to build Jerusalem HERE AND NOW. Jerusalem won\'t come simply by waiting for Christ - Jerusalem will be built by the efforts of individuals pursuing the \"mental fight\", i.e. through social action.
    This is the reason why many conservative religious leaders don\'t like this poem. It argues that it\'s not enough to wait for the next life, that one must seek social change now (something that the ruling class does not want).

Maybe not a good anthem with this government in charge!!
    I never realised this - I always thought it was a stupid song because the answer to the first line was 'no'.

Ours is awful but at least it's mercifully short.
  • Options
    Lot's of Churches have banned it because they realise that it doesn't glorify god but most happily think it does and it is a rousing tune. Didn't England use this as our anthem in 2000 Euros?
  • Options
    I had Jerusalem at my wedding. Love it. It was also my school song. Never mind the words, just enjoy the grandeur.
  • Options
    The poet asks three questions. All are to be answered negatively, putting to rest the misconceived theory that Blake was a proponent of Jesus having visited England in ancient times. Clearly, since Jerusalem
    was NOT built in England, then it stands to reason that NONE of the questions are to be answered in the affirmative. Blake\'s message is that England was too far away from Christ, and that it is now a foresaken
    Blake was a radical revolutionary. Although the religious establishment would argue that Jerusalem will only be built on Christ\'s return, Blake goes against this, and exhorts people to build Jerusalem HERE AND NOW. Jerusalem won\'t come simply by waiting for Christ - Jerusalem will be built by the efforts of individuals pursuing the \"mental fight\", i.e. through social action.
    This is the reason why many conservative religious leaders don\'t like this poem. It argues that it\'s not enough to wait for the next life, that one must seek social change now (something that the ruling class does not want).

I never realised this - I always thought it was a stupid song because the answer to the first line was 'no'.

I wouldnt call it stupid - it is allegorical, which means the characters places (England) and events are used to symbolize a deeper moral or spiritual meaning

You might want to check the source and validity of Muttley's arguable interpretation of Blakes writings and of the meanings of the song which came a century after the lyrics
  • Options
    Amhrán na bhFiann - love it.

Never fails to give me goosebumps B as I face the flag & sing it.

Exactly what I think anyone's anthem should do for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I wouldnt call it stupid - it is allegorical, which means the characters places (England) and events are used to symbolize a deeper moral or spiritual meaning

You might want to check the source and validity of Muttley's arguable interpretation of Blakes writings and of the meanings of the song which came a century after the lyrics
    It is arguable because it was played at the Royal Wedding so establishemnt like it. Having said that many churches have banned it - and that is because the more you study the lyrics the more the interpretation I have given rings true. Why would Blake mention satanic mills - he is inviting the listener/reader to build a new Jerusalem.

• Options
    I like both the French and Italian national anthems. Also like Advance Australia Fair.
  • Options
    God save the Queen was written by a Frenchman and concerns a German!
  • Options
    Used to know a bird that could trap air in her, er, well, ladies section and play La Marseillaise. Must say it un-nerved me when I was getting me kit off. Didn't know if I should stand to attention and salute...

Although I already was, sort of, in fairness...

Would I also be right in thinking the national anthem for the Democratic Republic of Congo contains some impressive drum and bass and mean wah wah guitar?
  • Options
    Didn't she do requests?
  • Options
    Didn't she do requests?
    Muttley mate, it stirs up bad memories to be fair. I’m not too proud to say I resented her talent. I became jealous and competitive. Eventually, I spent a fortune on pickled eggs and would spend the whole night in my garden shed farting me a*se off desperately trying to carry a tune. Days became weeks and then I finally mastered Run, Rabbit, Run, Rabbit Run, Run, Run.

I felt I was finally her equal and our love blossomed. We formed a double act and toured all the leading venues for bodily function double acts – Workington Men’s Club; British Legion Hall, Stockport; Dewsbury Function Centre. You name it, we played it. Life was good and then…

…It happened. We were playing a kid’s birthday party in Clacton and I was getting a few pre-performance tummy rumbles. I just put it down to nerves. But I was wrong. Badly wrong.

Half way through our medley of Frank Sinatra hits I tried to hit a nigh note and followed through in the middle of Strangers in the Night. It was awful. I waddled off stage like a duck with a cucumber up its jacksy.

That was it. She stormed off and didn’t speak to me again. I tried to carry on as a solo act. But at my next show in Skegness, I was constantly heckled and I had a request for Strangers in the Sh*te from some joker.

In fairness it was all very traumatic at the end of the day. I ended up in The Priory. Sad times to be fair.
  • Options
    No contest - best national anthem = England
  • Options
    Didn't she do requests?
    Muttley mate, it stirs up bad memories to be fair. I’m not too proud to say I resented her talent. I became jealous and competitive. Eventually, I spent a fortune on pickled eggs and would spend the whole night in my garden shed farting me a*se off desperately trying to carry a tune. Days became weeks and then I finally mastered Run, Rabbit, Run, Rabbit Run, Run, Run.

I felt I was finally her equal and our love blossomed. We formed a double act and toured all the leading venues for bodily function double acts – Workington Men’s Club; British Legion Hall, Stockport; Dewsbury Function Centre. You name it, we played it. Life was good and then…

…It happened. We were playing a kid’s birthday party in Clacton and I was getting a few pre-performance tummy rumbles. I just put it down to nerves. But I was wrong. Badly wrong.

Half way through our medley of Frank Sinatra hits I tried to hit a nigh note and followed through in the middle of Strangers in the Night. It was awful. I waddled off stage like a duck with a cucumber up its jacksy.

That was it. She stormed off and didn’t speak to me again. I tried to carry on as a solo act. But at my next show in Skegness, I was constantly heckled and I had a request for Strangers in the Sh*te from some joker.

In fairness it was all very traumatic at the end of the day. I ended up in The Priory. Sad times to be fair.
    Yeah Muse, I know just what you mean.
    ~Exactly the same thing happened to me in the late 90's. I had a request for Brown Moon and tried to save the night with Frank's Accidents will Happen, to no avail.
  • Options

Yeah Muse, I know just what you mean.
    ~Exactly the same thing happened to me in the late 90's. I had a request for Brown Moon and tried to save the night with Frank's Accidents will Happen, to no avail.
    Blimey! The 90s? Then you must be the legendary Flatulent Floyd? You headlined at Trouser Cough 98!

What a festival that was...had a great time around the place but I had a dodgy kebab the night before my set and went down with the runs. Health and Safety wouldn't let me perform. Fears over me pebbledashing the front row. Thems the breaks to be fair.

Loved your version of Stairway to Heaven...

• Options
    you only get to play Trouser Cough Fest twice, sadly Stairway was my Swansong

People used to faint at my version of In Through the Outdoor
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you only get to play Trouser Cough Fest twice, sadly Stairway was my Swansong

People used to faint at my version of In Through the Outdoor
    Mate, your Smells Like Teen Spirit is still talked about today.

Just the other day Guffing Bert Harris, Whispering Bob's brother, played some tracks from your Silent But Violent EP on BBC Radio Number 2.

• Options
    Ours should be Land of Hope and Glory!
    Good call. My wife walked down the aisle to this. And we got married in Argentina. How cool is that!?
  • Options
    If it's an alternative to God save the Queen as National Anthems your looking for, then may I suggest 'I vow to thee my country' as sung by the delectable and Welsh Kathryn Jenkins...
  • Options
    My favourtie national anthem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60cvtxwlJr8
  • Options
    If it's an alternative to God save the Queen as National Anthems your looking for, then may I suggest 'I vow to thee my country' as sung by the delectable and Welsh Kathryn Jenkins...
    Absolutely fantastic hymn/anthem. I would love it if that or Jerusalem became the anthem for the football team.