Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Beckham

Comments

• Options
    We'll be playing Uruguay in the group, there overaged players are like to include Saurez and Carviani
  • Options
    beckham got too mant free caps for england
  • Options
    Only in Britain would we moan about not picking someone who would make us less likely to win the tournament. Whilst the South Americans take it very seriously, people seem more interested in picking big names than thinking about how we can get the best out of it. The majority clearly see Olympic football as a waste of time, but why not try and make it a useful exercise? Otherwise what's the point in entering?

We can give youngsters experience for the future, not use it as a means of saying goodbye to Beckham. Loved him as a player for his commitment and skill, but it would speak volumes of everything wrong with our national setup if we were to pick him for sentimental reasons rather than footballing ones.

Whilst it's obvious that Giggs and Bellamy aren't the best over-23 players available, they must be willing to play, and are playing better football than Beckham in a stronger league.
    Completely agree.

It just shows the power of the Beckham PR machine that he has people believing that he "deserves" a spot in the Olympic squad despite not having played a proper international match for three years and has not played a full season in a proper league since he left Madrid in 2007!!!

Sorry, but what exactly has Beckham done to "deserve" a place in the Olympic squad as some sort of right? I must be missing something here.

Last I checked he was a very good player who had not really done that much in an England shirt at all to get properly excited about, the best he could manage was a trio of quarter-final apperances in major competitions - not exactly Iniesta or Zidane like is it?

As for the Bellamy selection, probably worth remembering that this is a BRITISH team and I for one think its great that players like Giggs and Bellamy are getting a shot at playing in a major tournament for the first and only time in their careers.

David Beckham might be a very nice chap but he has done very nicely indeed out of English football, I don't see why he deserves a parting gift any more than a whole bunch of deserving players at the end of their careers.

After the huge let down of the last WC and Euros this is a unique chance to experience a British team playing in a proper competition, places in the squad should absolutely not be handed out because someone feels they deserve one.
    So Beckham doesn't deserve to play.... but Bellamy does because he'll never play in a major tournament? Ridiculous. What has Bellamy achieved this season? He wasn't even a starter in a very poor Liverpool team. Wales will be represented by Bale, Ramsey and Giggs surely, so will be well represented.

• Options
    Only in Britain would we moan about not picking someone who would make us less likely to win the tournament. Whilst the South Americans take it very seriously, people seem more interested in picking big names than thinking about how we can get the best out of it. The majority clearly see Olympic football as a waste of time, but why not try and make it a useful exercise? Otherwise what's the point in entering?

We can give youngsters experience for the future, not use it as a means of saying goodbye to Beckham. Loved him as a player for his commitment and skill, but it would speak volumes of everything wrong with our national setup if we were to pick him for sentimental reasons rather than footballing ones.

Whilst it's obvious that Giggs and Bellamy aren't the best over-23 players available, they must be willing to play, and are playing better football than Beckham in a stronger league.
    Completely agree.

It just shows the power of the Beckham PR machine that he has people believing that he "deserves" a spot in the Olympic squad despite not having played a proper international match for three years and has not played a full season in a proper league since he left Madrid in 2007!!!

Sorry, but what exactly has Beckham done to "deserve" a place in the Olympic squad as some sort of right? I must be missing something here.

Last I checked he was a very good player who had not really done that much in an England shirt at all to get properly excited about, the best he could manage was a trio of quarter-final apperances in major competitions - not exactly Iniesta or Zidane like is it?

As for the Bellamy selection, probably worth remembering that this is a BRITISH team and I for one think its great that players like Giggs and Bellamy are getting a shot at playing in a major tournament for the first and only time in their careers.

David Beckham might be a very nice chap but he has done very nicely indeed out of English football, I don't see why he deserves a parting gift any more than a whole bunch of deserving players at the end of their careers.

After the huge let down of the last WC and Euros this is a unique chance to experience a British team playing in a proper competition, places in the squad should absolutely not be handed out because someone feels they deserve one.
    So Beckham doesn't deserve to play.... but Bellamy does because he'll never play in a major tournament? Ridiculous. What has Bellamy achieved this season? He wasn't even a starter in a very poor Liverpool team. Wales will be represented by Bale, Ramsey and Giggs surely, so will be well represented.

No more ridiculous than Beckham being parachuted in from LA at age 37 from playing in a League that's about the same level as League One.

Bellamy this season? First, he's only 32, secondly, he played 43 games this season in all competitions and helped Liverpool win the Carling Cup and get to the FA Cup Final, so quite a bit more than a bit part player.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=10692&season_id=141

Certainly deserves to be there more than Goldenballs does.
  • Options
    Right decision, its not a bloody charity tournament its the Olympics being held in London - its a massive event.
    In football terms I think it is nearer a charity event tbh...
    That has now bitten him on the arse.
    I think his bank account says differently. Isn't he on £250k a week at Galaxy?...

Just for the record, I couldn't give a monkeys if he was selected or not.
  • Options
    Right decision, its not a bloody charity tournament its the Olympics being held in London - its a massive event.
    I think his bank account says differently. Isn't he on £250k a week at Galaxy?...

I don't see how the Olympic football is a charity event, it's the third biggest tournament in the world after the WC and EC that we can play in - and it's being played in London for fecks sake.

As for Beckham, sure he has earn a fortune in the States but he is obviously gutted at being left out of the Olympic team so I doubt his cash is much consolation at missing a once in a lifetime event.

He knows he fecked up the end of his career by flouncing off to LA, otherwise why spend all that time on loan in Europe and trying to get out of his contract? I'd say that move to LA on a long term deal rather than staying in Europe bit him on the arse big time.
  • Options
    I think Ormiston has this about right all the way through the thread. Beckham more or less sold his career out for the big money and the glamour life style and no way can he compete at this level now. Nobody "deserves" a place on reputation alone they have to justify selection. Whether Football should be in the Olympics at all is another discussion I personally don't think so and am always aggreived that my sport Squash has never made it in but if we have a GB team lets make it the most competitive we can.

By the way the Bellamy selection really puzzles me and the Micah Richards one seems to be Pearce cocking a snoot at the England selection.
  • Options

I don't see how the Olympic football is a charity event, it's the third biggest tournament in the world after the WC and EC that we can play in - and it's being played in London for fecks sake.

As for Beckham, sure he has earn a fortune in the States but he is obviously gutted at being left out of the Olympic team so I doubt his cash is much consolation at missing a once in a lifetime event.

He knows he fecked up the end of his career by flouncing off to LA, otherwise why spend all that time on loan in Europe and trying to get out of his contract? I'd say that move to LA on a long term deal rather than staying in Europe bit him on the arse big time.
    I think the South Americans & Asians would disagree with the Olympics being the "third biggest tourny after the world cup and Euros", their equivilent of the EC is far greater and more popular than olympic football will ever be.
  • Options

I think the South Americans & Asians would disagree with the Olympics being the "third biggest tourny after the world cup and Euros", their equivilent of the EC is far greater and more popular than olympic football will ever be.
    I said that "we can play in" - I am bloody glad we don't have to play in the Copa America or even the African Cup of Nations at the moment.
  • Options
    I agree with the decision not to have him in the team. If anything, perhaps he could have been found a position on the coaching staff so he can be with the team, representing the GB Olympic squad without detracting from the playing unit.
    The discussions on here - and elsewhere - have highlighted the fact the Olympic football team would be Circus Beckham if he were selected IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hahaha don't be silly. It's being charitable to the Olympics for a start....and as for `third biggest tournament we can play in', well, lets just say theres a big drop off from the EC to the Olympics don't you think? And who is this `we' anyway? It's a hastily knocked together GB team with no real seriousness about it to participate in a tournament that noone, if they are brutally honest, cares two hoots about.
    Without cheating on Google, tell me any previous winners.....
    So do you think in 2007 if he had been given the choice between the whopping great LA Galaxy contract (£250k a week) or a humbling European club contract (£100k a week) plus an appearance in the GB Olympics team he'd have gone for the latter? I think we both know the answer to that one ;P

• Options
    It's not just the Olympics he's missed out on though, is it.
  • Options
    @draizetrain

1) You have me on number one, although I do remember Cameroon winning here in Oz in 2000. Sure, there is a big gap between the OG's and the big two but its still taken very seriously by many countries, the Aussies are gutted they failed to qualify.

2) That question goes to how much cash the Beckhams actually need, isn't it? He was already set for a hundred lifetimes before he went there, so what is the difference really between $100,000 and $250,000 a week? On footballing terms it is clear he knows he fecked up, he has been trying to wriggle out of his contract since 2009 but they would not release him.
  • Options
    What else has he `missed out on' then?
  • Options
    Spot on Ormi.

On BBC thread someone said - "overrated, overpaid and over there".

I'm surprised at some of the comments on here about Stuart Pearce - similar commitment to England as Beckham but without the ego-trip.

• Options
    Here's a thought, the fact that we have 4 x countries to choose players from as apposed to most if not all the other teams must surely make us the favs, will we win it???
  • Options
    Finishing his career at the top level of football, more England caps.

As Orm says, it's clear HE wanted out of his conract, so there must be some sort of regret.
  • Options
    Spot on Ormi.

On BBC thread someone said - "overrated, overpaid and over there".

I'm surprised at some of the comments on here about Stuart Pearce - similar commitment to England as Beckham but without the ego-trip.

That's what an expensive PR machine buys you.
  • Options
    how on earth will any of the dreadfull gb football kits get sold now??? er none!
  • Options
    Oh well, he's gonna have to settle for superstar status in the US and wealth beyond his wildest dreams whilst still retaining his England icon legacy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh well, he's gonna have to settle for superstar status in the US and wealth beyond his wildest dreams whilst still retaining his England icon legacy.
    If he is so happy in America why has he been trying to leave LA Galaxy since 2009 once he realised what a load of shite the league was?

If he is so happy with his lot why has he been breaking his back trying to get into the Olympics team?

I saw Beckham play when LAG came out to Oz to play a "prestige friendly" against Sydney, it was embarrassing to watch an obviously class player surrounded by such dross, like watching Anthony Hopkins acting with the New Eltham Amateur Dramatic Society.

• Options
    Didn't he sign for LA Galaxy when Capello banished him from their first team squad. He signed a pre-contract with LA thinking his career might be coming to an end. Then continued to train hard making himself available for selection got put back in the team and kept his place as real Madrid won the league playing at a very high level. Even Capello was moved to say what a professional attitude he'd shown when other players would have told him to "do one". Then refused to go back on his committment to La Galaxy when everyone clamoured for him. Then travelled the globe as an ambassador helping GB win the Olympics against all the odds, also went above and beyond to try and help us win the World Cup Bid which he had no possibility of playing in. Still Craig Bellamy, what a player I'm sure he'll fire GB to gold, the GB team that hasn't even got together with less than a month to go!
  • Options
    Feel a bit sorry for Beckham as clearly he has the passion to play football but I think if we are being serious about it maybe its the right pick?

Mind you will Giggs and Richards turn up whilst I bet a number of the other players will be told to play at well below 100% by their managers.
  • Options
    Didn't he sign for LA Galaxy when Capello banished him from their first team squad. He signed a pre-contract with LA thinking his career might be coming to an end. Then continued to train hard making himself available for selection got put back in the team and kept his place as real Madrid won the league playing at a very high level. Even Capello was moved to say what a professional attitude he'd shown when other players would have told him to "do one". Then refused to go back on his committment to La Galaxy when everyone clamoured for him. Then travelled the globe as an ambassador helping GB win the Olympics against all the odds, also went above and beyond to try and help us win the World Cup Bid which he had no possibility of playing in. Still Craig Bellamy, what a player I'm sure he'll fire GB to gold, the GB team that hasn't even got together with less than a month to go!
    No, he signed for LAG in January 2007 when he had the major hump after being frozen out by McLaren from the England squad, so with his contract at Madrid due to expire he stupidly signed for the Yanks in what was probably a fit of of pique.

Of course, in the following months it went tits up for McLaren and he had to recall Beckham to the squad!

Beckham started making noises about leaving LAG in late 2008 and went on loan to Milan to try and engineer a move there but LAG wanted way too much dough for him and Milan pulled out and he has been stuck at LAG ever since.
  • Options
    Feel a bit sorry for Beckham as clearly he has the passion to play football but I think if we are being serious about it maybe its the right pick?

Mind you will Giggs and Richards turn up whilst I bet a number of the other players will be told to play at well below 100% by their managers.
    Make you right there, club football comes first in the players and managers eyes and there is no way a club would want to risk an injury a month before the season starts for a gold medal in the olympics
  • Options
    You may well be the expert on Beckhams career but I don't agree.

He'd been frozen out by Madrid too, so looked at other options, who wouldn't after being dropped by your club and country. Capello pretty much said he wouldn't play again. He continued to train and said he would always be available to play, same as he said for England, never publicly showing dissatisfaction (unlike Micah Richards recently). Made his choice and then got back into both squads after he signed with Galaxy. Whether he then regretted it once there doesn't have much bearing on his initial decision.

Anyway, doesn't make much difference now does it.
  • Options
    You may well be the expert on Beckhams career but I don't agree.

He'd been frozen out by Madrid too, so looked at other options, who wouldn't after being dropped by your club and country. Capello pretty much said he wouldn't play again. He continued to train and said he would always be available to play, same as he said for England, never publicly showing dissatisfaction (unlike Micah Richards recently). Made his choice and then got back into both squads after he signed with Galaxy. Whether he then regretted it once there doesn't have much bearing on his initial decision.

Anyway, doesn't make much difference now does it.
    Don't forget, he was only 31 when he agreed to sign for the Yanks, that is way, way too young to be checking out of top class football, look at players like Pirlo who are older than that and still playing at the top.

The press reported that LAG could not believe he had signed - and it was nowhere near 250K per week either - because it was only January and they expected him to see what other European clubs wanted him but he never gave them a chance.

An extraordinary call to quit top class football at 31 years old.
  • Options

An extraordinary call to quit top class football at 31 years old.
    That, I agree with ;)

Pressure from the missus perhaps?
  • Options

If he is so happy in America why has he been trying to leave LA Galaxy since 2009 once he realised what a load of shite the league was?
    I dunno where you've got this from tbh cos in numerous interviews since going to the US he's stated how settled the family are with all his kids loving school, the misses happy etc....
    ...plus i'm sure if he wanted to take a pay cut and leave there would be no end of takers but he hasn't been interested.

If he is so happy with his lot why has he been breaking his back trying to get into the Olympics team?
    Well why not? His personal happiness level has nothing to do with getting into the Olympics squad. I can't see why you've linked the two tbh.

• Options

I dunno where you've got this from tbh cos in numerous interviews since going to the US he's stated how settled the family are with all his kids loving school, the misses happy etc....
    ...plus i'm sure if he wanted to take a pay cut and leave there would be no end of takers but he hasn't been interested.

Well why not? His personal happiness level has nothing to do with getting into the Olympics squad. I can't see why you've linked the two tbh.

There you go, here he is back in 2009 admitting he wanted to get the feck out of LA and come back to Europe.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/david-beckham/4518028/David-Beckham-I-want-to-end-career-with-AC-Milan.html

As for your last question, it just seems obvious to me that for all his money in the US he craved one last big tournament on home soil and is clearly devastated to have not made it.