Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weather Forecasting

How do our forecasters get the weather forecasting so wrong? Yesterday the forecast for today was pretty good - long sunny spells, lighter winds and dry. Now it has changed completely. With all the computer technology today you'd expect them to be a lot better than they are. I read this week that the Met Office reckons it can forecast for the next century - what a load of rubbish!

Comments

• Options
    The Met Office explained that the problem was due to the fact that their piece of seaweed had blown off the window sill and couldn't be found.
  • Options
    I read this week that the Met Office reckons it can forecast for the next century - what a load of rubbish!
    Let's face it anyone can forecast for the next century. It's just a forecast,
    Nobody with any sense is going to take the Met Office forecast too seriously

• Options
    Think it's safe to say that there definitely will be weather next century.
  • Options
    I once read that if the forecasters predicted for tomorrow exactly what happened today it would be more accurate than their current scientific predictions...
  • Options
    Well it may be my imagination, but since breakfast moved to Salford the predictions have become less accurate, at least down here in the South east. I understand that April /May/June have been the most wet since records began. Of course we have a fixation on weather, but I would imagine that the poor people who were flooded out last week, up North/Midlands were not overjoyed, as most did not expect the intensity. I am also unsure what all these weather warnings mean in practical terms, when there is an alert, the met office have issued .......
    Moaning about the weather, late trains, and traffic jams, politicians, and now banks.......
  • Options
    Old folklore does it best .. 'N'er cast a clout ere May be out' .. this year, never was a truer lore folked.
  • Options
    Old folklore does it best .. 'N'er cast a clout ere May be out' .. this year, never was a truer lore folked.
    But what's a clout ?

• Options
    But what's a clout ?

other than a clip around the lughole ? ... a medieval woolen garment
  • Options
    But what's a clout ?

Thankyou.

other than a clip around the lughole ? ... a medieval woolen garment
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I read this week that the Met Office reckons it can forecast for the next century - what a load of rubbish!
    Bit unfair. I asked them about predicted average temperatures during the UK winters of the next decade (for a scientific project I'm doing) and they told me to make sure I wore an extra layer on January 14th 2018 and took an umbrella with me on February 7th 2023. I'd say that's pretty decent in fairness at the end of the day.

Did ask for a signed photo of Bill Giles as I was always a fan. Loved those tweed jackets. Praps that's in the post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yesterday, the Met Office forecast for Kent for Monday, was for it to rain almost all day. Today they are predicting very little rain. When they can't forecast from one day to the next, how can they forecast so far into the future!
  • Options
    I think weather forecasting is the best job on the planet. You can be wrong 80-90% of the time and still not get fired. Brilliant
  • Options
    I think weather forecasting is the best job on the planet. You can be wrong 80-90% of the time and still not get fired. Brilliant
    Probably explains why Bob Diamond still has his job with Barclay's, perhaps his job description is really a weather forecaster.
  • Options
    Probably explains why Bob Diamond still has his job with Barclay's, perhaps his job description is really a weather forecaster.

Can't argue with that Ken
  • Options
    Climate change has made forecasting much more difficult, I understand that past patterns are an important part of predicting the weather, and currently the weather isn't behaving as it should. The Portuguese Met Office announced last year that they were no longer going to forecast beyond a month, as it was a waste of time because they were basically just guessing at anything more than four weeks away.
  • Options
    They should know which way the wind blows
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Met Office 6 -15 day forecast is always something like:

"Unsettled with scattered showers until the end of the week.
    Thereafter, continuing largely unsettled".

That's probably their master template - and they'll only adjust it if someone actually remembers, should it finally stop raining.
  • Options
    Yesterday, the Met Office forecast for Kent for Monday, was for it to rain almost all day. Today they are predicting very little rain. When they can't forecast from one day to the next, how can they forecast so far into the future!
    I agree. The south east news program at 10.30 last night forecasted rain pretty much all day today. As has been said, In this day & age I don't understand how they can get it so wrong
  • Options
    Living on an island in the North Atlantic makes our weather very changable.
  • Options
    Climate change has made forecasting much more difficult.
    But Jeremy Clarkson has already confirmed that climate change is a load of b*******...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Try this site : http://www.yr.no/

Normally very accurate.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Got to give credit where it's due.

Met Office said that down here it would be, "Unsettled with scattered showers" .
    They were right.

Tomorrow's forecast:
    "Unsettled with scattered showers"

Forecast for rest of week:
    "Unsettled with scattered showers until the end of the week."

What a doddle of a job at the Met Office!

;o)
  • Options
    I love the weather forecasts in Malaysia - every day, it's hot with a risk of thunder and rain.
  • Options
    i always like the recap at the start of the evening weather report. most of the time its to try and explain why they got it wrong, "something unexpected happened", "those pesky winds blew a different way." then every now and again they say, "ha, we told you yesterday that was going to happen and it did happen, and people say we don't know what we're talking about."
  • Options
    Times article today pointing out that head of Met also head of several global warming and green pressure groups. Suggests might. be over keen to forecast mild winters and hot summers.
  • Options
    Weather forecast totally wrong again. In Kent it should be dry today, so why is it raining?
  • Options
    Yep, was going coast for a day of sand, sun, cold pint, slots, rides, fish n chips out the paper, the relaxing sound of gentle waves and children's laughter....

Rained and we went Dartford :-(
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Going Otford village fair Monday crackin pint of Scrumpy sold there, only reason I go really