Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weather Forecasting

2»

Comments

• Options
    Have we really lost the word "to" from the English vocabulary?

The worlds going pot.
  • Options

Have we really lost the word "to" from the English vocabulary?

The worlds going pot.

Sounds ok if you put on A Yorkshire accent.

• Options
    Lovely weather up north today
  • Options
    The weather is a chaotic system so it doesn't matter how good your computer is, you can't work out what's going to happen with complete accuracy. The Met Office run various "what if" scenarios and give the average outcome as the forecast. Last I heard, they get tomorrow's weather about 80% correct. The forecast for the day after tomorrow would then be correct about 64% of the time, and the day after that about 51% - don't say they might as well toss a coin, there are many possibilities for the the weather in three days' time, not just two.
  • Options

Biggest con job ever pulled on the public. They're no more right about the weather than they would be if their budget was about a hundredth what it is.

Ffs, half the time they can't even get what the weather is like NOW correct, let alone what it will be like tomorrow or next week

To be fair Leroy, the Met have them holed up in a dark room with no windows. They can't look out & don't even know if it's day or night!
  • Options

The weather is a chaotic system so it doesn't matter how good your computer is, you can't work out what's going to happen with complete accuracy. The Met Office run various "what if" scenarios and give the average outcome as the forecast. Last I heard, they get tomorrow's weather about 80% correct. The forecast for the day after tomorrow would then be correct about 64% of the time, and the day after that about 51% - don't say they might as well toss a coin, there are many possibilities for the the weather in three days' time, not just two.

I agree that the weather is "chaotic" but your description of the "what if" scenarios is incorrect. In very simple terms, firstly they run a computer model with the current readings. Then they adjust those readings to give slightly different starting points (the "what ifs" or peturbations). If, say, after 1,2 5, 10 days etc the results vary greatly then there is a high degree of unpredicability in the weather. If the results tend to the same results then the weather is much more predictable. It is the level of (un)predictability that is rarely mentioned in forecasts but would, in my view, put forecasts in context. Of course, if people want a days forecast summed up in one symbol, then there's no need !
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Biggest con job ever pulled on the public. They're no more right about the weather than they would be if their budget was about a hundredth what it is.

Ffs, half the time they can't even get what the weather is like NOW correct, let alone what it will be like tomorrow or next week

Also you will notice that at the start of every national forecast they mention what happened weather wise earlier in the day, this piece of info goes towards the correct prediction percentages, I kid you not.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Also you will notice that at the start of every national forecast they mention what happened weather wise earlier in the day, this piece of info goes towards the correct prediction percentages, I kid you not.
    Really ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't usually watch the weather because I can learn all I need to know about it by looking out of the window, but today I caught the weather on the BBC News channel and it was brilliant. Partly because it was fronted by part-time Barnie Razil impersonator, Tomaz Schafernaker, and partly because he was accompanied by a bloke doing signing for the deaf. At first I thought it was ridiculous, why would deaf people need something to be signed when everything's written up on a huge map? But the more I watched the better it became, they guy doing the signing was a master of facial expressions and he had a different face for everything. Best gurning competition ever. If you haven't seen it, it's must watch tv; hilarious.
  • Options

are you saying that elfin faced Laura on Good Morning Britain doesn't have a flying fuck what she's talking about?

devastated and feeling deceived.
  • Options
    Can't say I watch weather forecasts but occasionally I check the BBC website if I'm going somewhere.

Been looking at going to NYC soon, so searched for New York on the BBC.

"Do you mean
    New York City, New York
    or
    New York, Lincolnshire"

No I meant the one in Rotherham ffs
  • Options

Yep, was going coast for a day of slots

Surprised you put that on a public forum.