Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smoking

edited July 2012 in Not Sports Related
If you are a social smoker and you are down the pub ( outside ) with some chums , do you think its ok to accept the odd snout off an old pal or should you already go down the pub with a packet of B&H ?

Comments

• Options
    It's a filthy and illness inducing habit .. give it up and stop polluting both your own lungs and the lungs of others
  • Options
    One less cigarette or one more headlock?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Makes me laugh how smokers all congregate outside the door and in warm weather (when the door is often left open) the smoke simply get's drawn back into the pub/restaurant. When you have several smokers out there together and you have the misfortune of being in the firing line of 'fresh air' coming into the building (I use that term lightly of course), it's most unpleasant.
    This also happens in colder weather too as the door is often opening and closing on a regular basis.
    The Chequers in Farningham Village (though it's a smashing little pub one has to say), is a classic example of this .
  • Options
    I admit to falling into the catagory of social smoker. If I know I am going somewhere where I am likely to smoke I try to rememebr to get my own. If I make an unplanned trip then I will ask someone.

Actually the reason I take my own is becuase I find it doesn't tie me to a regular smokers schedule. I don't smoke much even when I do and if I don't have my own the person who has given me a ciggie will often ask if I want one every time they go, and I also have to smoke it as quickly as they do!

By having my own I am back to being able to smoke if I want and not if I don't want.

I find it a bit mean when non-smoker compalin about where the smokers are. After all ten yearss ago the pub would have been full of smoke, now there might be one or two tables near the door which might be affected.

Given that smokers have already been banished outside is it too much to ask that non-smokers simply more further for the door if there is a problem. A little give and take maybe?
  • Options
    @shag

Depends if you get a bit of LHB action in return :-)
  • Options
    I admit to falling into the catagory of social smoker. If I know I am going somewhere where I am likely to smoke I try to rememebr to get my own. If I make an unplanned trip then I will ask someone.

Actually the reason I take my own is becuase I find it doesn't tie me to a regular smokers schedule. I don't smoke much even when I do and if I don't have my own the person who has given me a ciggie will often ask if I want one every time they go, and I also have to smoke it as quickly as they do!

By having my own I am back to being able to smoke if I want and not if I don't want.

I find it a bit mean when non-smoker compalin about where the smokers are. After all ten yearss ago the pub would have been full of smoke, now there might be one or two tables near the door which might be affected.

Given that smokers have already been banished outside is it too much to ask that non-smokers simply more further for the door if there is a problem. A little give and take maybe?
    Agreed, and I'm not a smoker. I wonder how people get on when they visit our European neighbors that do not have the smoking ban?
  • Options
    If you are a social smoker and you are down the pub ( outside ) with some chums , do you think its ok to accept the odd snout off an old pal or should you already go down the pub with a packet of B&H ?

depends on whether when it was your round you bought 1 or 1/2 a drink for that chum.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    One or two tables by the door that 'might be affected'....Jeez where do you think the smoke goes then.....right into the main body of the building....it doesn't simply stop moving around or as if by magic dissapear, it may dilute somewhat (if you're lucky that is)...........but you can often get a whiff right across the other side of the bar.....this of course depends somewhat on how big the premises are....but the smoke doesn't simply dissapear once it's gone inside, much as smokers would like to think or kid themselves that it does....no, far from it.
  • Options
    One or two tables by the door that 'might be affected'....Jeez where do you think the smoke goes then.....right into the main body of the building....it doesn't simply stop moving around or as if by magic dissapear, it may dilute somewhat (if you're lucky that is)...........but you can often get a whiff right across the other side of the bar.....this of course depends somewhat on how big the premises are....but the smoke doesn't simply dissapear once it's gone inside, much as smokers would like to think or kid themselves that it does....no, far from it.
    Funny ain't it, someone necking pints moaning about the health affects of smoking.

It's much better with smoking banned from pubs, restaurants etc but considering what it was like, I'm not going to get on my high horse about a bit of smoke as I drink yet another pint of healthiness.

I'll kick up a stink if it's directly in the faces of people smoking or kids etc.
  • Options
    & as for the question, pinch 1 snout, but if you go for another one go & buy your own!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny ain't it, someone necking pints moaning about the health affects of smoking.

It's much better with smoking banned from pubs, restaurants etc but considering what it was like, I'm not going to get on my high horse about a bit of smoke as I drink yet another pint of healthiness.

I'll kick up a stink if it's directly in the faces of people smoking or kids etc.
    Why use the term 'moaning'.....who's moaning I'm simply stating a fact. Is something you don't agree with moaning then......sorry about that Buster?
    I have the choice of what I drink, but cigarette smoke floating around in the air in a pub is not acceptable because I'm not given the choice am I.

• Options
    edited July 2012
  • Options
    I smoke outside the pub but don't drive. So does my lack of exhaust pollution cancel out my smoking pollution?
  • Options
    I smoke outside the pub but don't drive. So does my lack of exhaust pollution cancel out my smoking pollution?
    only if you don't throw your fag butt on the floor.
  • Options
    Well the drafters of the no smoking law foresaw this very issue, hence the law clearly states that smoking in the doorway is just as illegal as smoking inside the building, but nobody seems to want to enforce the law as written.

To a certain extent it is understandable at pubs, and is far better than it used to be. I find the situation at Darenth Valley Hospital (and probably most others) far more unpalatable. They have huge signs everywhere saying no smoking anywhere on hospital grounds other than the appointed smoking shelters. There's never anybody in those, just groups congregating outside the main entrance (underneath the signs) smoking away. The hospital don't seem to want to do anything about it (other than put up signs), but then how could they, hospital staff usually make up a significant proportion of those flouting the rules. Worryingly, I've seen ambulance crews all out smoking in a designated non-smoking area and then jump straight into their ambulance, nice to know even our healthcare professionals understand the dangers of smoking and the need to wash your hands after doing so :(
  • Options
    what have you started here Shag...? Carry on smoking OPs I say!
  • Options
    I'm an ex smoker so i'm holier than thou, give it up!!*
    *i feel better now at 56 than i did in my twenties.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Makes me laugh how smokers all congregate outside the door and in warm weather (when the door is often left open) the smoke simply get's drawn back into the pub/restaurant. When you have several smokers out there together and you have the misfortune of being in the firing line of 'fresh air' coming into the building (I use that term lightly of course), it's most unpleasant.
    This also happens in colder weather too as the door is often opening and closing on a regular basis.
    The Chequers in Farningham Village (though it's a smashing little pub one has to say), is a classic example of this .
    as you say, smoke goes where it chooses. depending on the pub, smokers could well be in a position near the pub door, (not in the doorway, which is against the law) due to weather or there's no where else to stand (small pavement) in which some of their smoke might get into the premises and linger about for a bit. Its a shame but unless another law where they have to stand at least 20 feet away from all public premises is introduced this will no doubt happen on occasion. If there is a law to that, IMO it would be even more victimisation on smokers who have already been pushed into smaller and smaller areas across our country.
  • Options
    When we had our first child the amount of heavily pregnant women puffing away at the maternity building entrance was an eye opener. You have to be complete ******* scum to do that to your unborn child.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When we had our first child the amount of heavily pregnant women puffing away at the maternity building entrance was an eye opener. You have to be complete ******* scum to do that to your unborn child.
    Bit extreme!
  • Options
    Agreed
  • Options
    It's a filthy and illness inducing habit .. give it up and stop polluting both your own lungs and the lungs of others
    I'll put you down as a 'don't know'
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    @shag

Depends if you get a bit of LHB action in return :-)
    What does it mean ?!

• Options
    what have you started here Shag...? Carry on smoking OPs I say!
    I need a break from all this , anyone got a snout ?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Bit extreme!
    not really. that is disgraceful. just like drinking while pregnant or doing drugs. everyone knows the complications it can cause.
    people have the choice to smoke. unborn babies don't. their vulnerability makes it even more likely for severe damage to be caused by smoke.

so many people cant have children and would do anything to be able. when you have a child, you have been given the responsibility to care for it. these mothers are already abusing their child before its even born.
    if you want to carry on smoking afterwards then fine. its only 9 months. give your kid a chance.

• Options
    I agree with @soundasa£ the smoke in pubs/restaurants because people don't smoke away from the building is very off putting. Smoking in kids playgrounds is what really hacks me off though, oh and people smoking in the car with kids in it, that is damn right mean. I quit smoking over 3 years ago and I admit I was as @santaclaus put it 'utter scum' as I smoked when I was pregnant, I quit smoking when I had a baby in special care and was shown my black placenta, I am now very anti smoking during pregnancy, I deluded myself because my first 3 were unaffected. I also blame myself for my son's autism, although the doctors keep telling me it has nothing to do with it. @shag buy your own everytime or don't smoke. It amazes me that given how bad smoking is for you how people that are not addicted smoke when they don't have to. Also the term 'social smoker' amuses me as smoking is extremely anti-social. But each to their own...
  • Options
    Just because someone smokes during pregnancy doesn't make the scum, smoking is a addiction just like alcohol and drugs. Plenty of women drink during pregnancy so I guess they are scum as well. I don't agree with smoking but would never look down on someone because they smoke. I have two brothers, my mum smoked during one pregnancy and didn't for the other two. The one she smoked during was a very healthy baby with no problems, me and my other brother who she didn't smoke during suffered with really bad asthma as babies and still have problems.

• Options
    When I smoked, I always used to have to buy an extra pack because of mates poncing off me. At 40p a fag, it's not cheap and it dis annoy me sometimes.

I moved over to an electronic cigarette a year ago and can happily puff away in the pub without bothering anyone.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Thought I'd answer the question rather than continue the rant about anti/pro smoking :-)

One is fair enough. If you're smoking more than two on an evening out, then buy your own you tight wad!