Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smoking

Comments

• Options
    I don't mind social smokers asking me for a roll up. I would rather they stuck to social smoking than bought a pack and end up smoking half of them " non socially". I am paying less than half the price of the UK anyway.

I stick by my previous thoughts on the subject, and those that were on the Labour party manifesto people voted for. No smoking in restaurants and pub/restaurants, club members to vote on it and wet pubs being able to decide for themselves. That is choice.

Here in Portugal that is how it works, but smoking pubs ( such as ours ) have to install a ventilation system, though not all do, but then you have the choice to go and drink in a non-smoking place.
  • Options
    How the hell can you defend puffing away when you're virtually in labour? BTW I used to smoke and gave up before my child was born. You just make a decision and to let it go and you'll never have a pang. The truth is it's not really wanting to give up that gets you not the addiction.
  • Options
    When we had our first child the amount of heavily pregnant women puffing away at the maternity building entrance was an eye opener. You have to be complete ******* scum to do that to your unborn child.
    Bit extreme!
    not really. that is disgraceful. just like drinking while pregnant or doing drugs. everyone knows the complications it can cause.
    people have the choice to smoke. unborn babies don't. their vulnerability makes it even more likely for severe damage to be caused by smoke.

so many people cant have children and would do anything to be able. when you have a child, you have been given the responsibility to care for it. these mothers are already abusing their child before its even born.
    if you want to carry on smoking afterwards then fine. its only 9 months. give your kid a chance.

For some women is is proven to be harmful to their babies to give up some of these addictions. If you are properly addicted to drink or drugs and you quit cold turkey while pregnant your body can go into shock. The stress of detoxing this way can do much more harm to the unborn child than continuing to feed the habit in a controlled way.

Not saying it is right just pointing out that writing mothers off as a disgrace or a child abuser is over dramatic, unhelpful and ignorant.

I note that not many people have blasted men who smoke whilst their partners are pregnant...
  • Options
    You just make a decision and to let it go and you'll never have a pang. The truth is it's not really wanting to give up that gets you not the addiction.
    agree. people ask me if I miss smoking, until they ask me, I forget that I ever did. couldn't ever imagine smoking now. have given up and started over the past few years, but the last time I gave up, I knew for a fact I'd never smoke again. couldn't give a crap where people smoke and what they do with their life. if it annoys me, I'll move. think yourselves lucky we haven't had a summer and smokers and non smokers eating sunday lunch in a smoke filled garden - who has the moral high ground then?
  • Options
    i saw this yesterday, is it a hoax?

http://imgur.com/a/sqppB
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    When we had our first child the amount of heavily pregnant women puffing away at the maternity building entrance was an eye opener. You have to be complete ******* scum to do that to your unborn child.
    Bit extreme!
    not really. that is disgraceful. just like drinking while pregnant or doing drugs. everyone knows the complications it can cause.
    people have the choice to smoke. unborn babies don't. their vulnerability makes it even more likely for severe damage to be caused by smoke.

so many people cant have children and would do anything to be able. when you have a child, you have been given the responsibility to care for it. these mothers are already abusing their child before its even born.
    if you want to carry on smoking afterwards then fine. its only 9 months. give your kid a chance.

For some women is is proven to be harmful to their babies to give up some of these addictions. If you are properly addicted to drink or drugs and you quit cold turkey while pregnant your body can go into shock. The stress of detoxing this way can do much more harm to the unborn child than continuing to feed the habit in a controlled way.

Not saying it is right just pointing out that writing mothers off as a disgrace or a child abuser is over dramatic, unhelpful and ignorant.

I note that not many people have blasted men who smoke whilst their partners are pregnant...
    I was using drink and drugs as a way to explain how bad smoking can be for a baby, when addicted to them the toxins should be replaced by medication so as to give the baby the best chance, rather than slowly giving those habits up, if of course you can.

for smoking quitting cold turkey when pregnant is seen to be the best way. it can be difficult, but every day your baby is not exposed to the harmful toxins in a cigarette its a good thing.
  • Options
    Karim - there are no proven facts on drinking during pregnancy, except that binge drinking regularly is likely to cause damage.

Light drinking, a glass or so of wine a week isn't thought to cause any problems. But from my point of view it's not worth the risk. As I'm not a woman though it's easy for me to say give this up, give that up etc etc.
  • Options
    Glad no one has mentioned smoking in the valley toilets or why there is no outdoor smoking area.

That would have been a real nightmare

: - )
  • Options
    You do not need to buy your own. Tell your peers you don't want one and they will pressure you in to it.
  • Options
    shag, do you feel worse the next day after smoking whilst having a jar or 2? I know I did.
    I got hypnotised last week, after numerous attempts to give up, and a week on, the thought of smoking repulses me.

I can honestly say, after 25 years, I will remain smoke free for the rest of my life. trouble is when someone claps there hands 3 times, I scratch around the ground like a chicken...

Shag if your just a social smoker, and you enjoy it, all the power to you, but I ended up buying my own, and smoked them when not drinking. I hope you don't fall into the same trap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would hand out one or two but that's it.
  • Options
    I tried it for a few weeks when I was 18. I hated it. It baffles me as to why anyone likes it.
    And as for the smoking ban, as someone who used to work in a bar, I love it. I used to have to go outside every 15 minutes or so on a busy night because my eyes would water so much. Gross.
  • Options
    Was always a social smoker, but in the last year or so had a lot of things happen including break up with long term partner that has brought it on a lot.
  • Options
    .....sadly kills, if it isn't cancer then take a closer look at COPD and how that can really mess up your life
  • Options
    Not one good thing can be said of smoking. It has caused more misery, suffering and death than both world wars.
  • Options
    Not one good thing can be said of smoking. It has caused more misery, suffering and death than both world wars.
    What about tax? Where would we be without all that tax.

• Options
    + it makes you look cool and hard.
  • Options
    + it makes you look cool and hard.
    Smoking reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood and compromises blood flow so hardly likely to make you hard ;0)

• Options

I got hypnotised last week, after numerous attempts to give up, and a week on, the thought of smoking repulses me.

I can honestly say, after 25 years, I will remain smoke free for the rest of my life. trouble is when someone claps there hands 3 times, I scratch around the ground like a chicken...
    that is the funniest thing I've read on here for ages! thank you!
  • Options
    Was always a social smoker, but in the last year or so had a lot of things happen including break up with long term partner that has brought it on a lot.
    I still miss you.....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a lot of people on here will be aware, my family has first hand experience of what smoking can, and probably will, do to you in time. My Mum smoked 20 a day from a teenager until she was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer that has spread to the brain.

She is undergoing radiotherapy on her brain to give herself more time - but she regrets not giving up every second of every day now.

It is too late for her, but she wants anyone (especially if you have kids) to learn from her and STOP now. It doesnt provide any enjoyment (like a sport etc can do), and it costs money that (if you are a parent) you could spend on your kids instead.

I will be without a Mother far too early (she is just 57 at the moment) because of fucking cigarettes. If you read this, smoke, and want to be there for your children for as much of their life as possible - go downstairs and throw away your cigarettes when you read this. 3 of my mates have done just that.

I wonder if anyone will do that?

Good luck if you are trying to give up.
  • Options
    .....sadly kills, if it isn't cancer then take a closer look at COPD and how that can really mess up your life
    My Mum has just opted to come home from hospital to spend her last days/weeks/months. Such a waste, her sixth G/grandchild expected as I type, her eldest grandson is 8 !! She never has or will meet them, she is not well enough. Now as well as COPD she has Heart issues, meaning her heart will likely pack up through strain, I'm guessing the "Cool and Hard" comment was tongue in cheek, but if any smoker wants to see first hand what it can do to you, just ask.
  • Options
    My opinion on handing out cigs has changed a lot, although that's probably down to paying roughly 50p a pack nowadays. In China cigs are constantly handed out between people, when you light a cig it's almost the done thing to offer everyone your with a smoke, which means during a night out you can easily smoke 5-6 different brands, not great on the old throat.

When I came back to China I brought 400 cigs from the UK with me, my plan is to quit once they have run out, not sure how that's going to work out, as not smoking in China makes you 'less of a man' and constantly being offered cigs is going to seriously effect my will power. (random people on the street will stop me, say hello and offer a cig)

• Options
    edited July 2012
    TCE sorry to hear about your mum your first hand experience of what is happening must be very sad indeed. As we both knowthankfully great efforts have been made in society to take the glamour out of smoking, I too watched my grandad suffer from what is now known as COPD...9/10 cases are smoking related. I too smoked. As a pharmacist I run smoking cessation clinics, when asked why I wouldn't smoke again I say...people know generally that it can cause heart attacks and cancer sadly most smokers are not aware of COPD and the debilitating effect it can have on their quality and longevity of life and that is one of the main reasons why I wouldn't smoke again. I see the impact of smoking almost hourly as I supply medicines for COPD and where people smoke seek to see if they would like help to stop.

For those who want to give up check out if your pharmacy runs an NHS smoking cessation service, you often don't need an appointment. If at first you don't succeed try again you will not be damned for failing. Before each consultation I ask individuals to write down why they want to stop and then through discussion drill that down to the key three for them. This underpins willpower and can make the journey a lot easier with these thoughts in mind. Smoking is a painfully strong addiction and often needs a lot of help and support to overcome, the benefits to life are many. At one stage pharmacies used to supply home oxygen making those deliveries was a very tragic insight into what smoking can do to people's lives.

I am passionate about helping people stop smoking it was a hard one liner but that is what it says on the packet apologies if it caused upset or offence. The message from DNS really hits home, by thoughts are with you both at this very difficult time
  • Options

that is the funniest thing I've read on here for ages! thank you!
    Pleasure!

• Options
    Sorry to hear that TCE. Its a painful old time when you lose your mum.

Understand all you say Latimer. I haven't had a cig yet this week but no doubt will tomorrow or friday when I hit the pub and I doubt that will ever change.

Anyway as the original post was meant as lighthearted aimed at me I shall go back to it.. what are peoples opinions of that person not only smoking one or two but literally half your packet so you completely run out for the last hour of the evening yourself so you both stand there without any? BTW it wasnt a full packet to start Lats :-)
    )
    Wrongun. And as Wilma said, buy your own, tightwad.

• Options
    How about that full packet of 20 I bought in Chesterfield ?? You and your mates smoked 76% of them . Short memories some people .

Anyway me and Wilma have discussed this further over the whisper facility and are meeting up tonight
  • Options
    Anyway me and Wilma have discussed this further over the whisper facility and are meeting up tonight
    Make sure you remember to buy cigs!
  • Options
    Anyone noticed the strong smell of cigarette smoke coming from the North Stand toilets at around half-time? What are the stewards going to do about that, apart from joining in?