Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most overrated albums in music.

Comments

• Options
    People slating Pink Floyd or the Beatles are perhaps looking at it from the perspective of today, 40 years on.

Maybe some of these albums are sounding dated today and haven't stood the test of time ......but they were totally ground breaking at the time.

No. I remember thinking at the time everything Pink Floyd produced was pretentious middle class shit. And it still is!

• Options
    Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

• Options
    U2 getting a kicking here and rightly so, in my life I've only ever met one person who said they are a fan, how did they get so big?</blo

everybody likes different music, personally i think U2 are superb and honestly couldnt give a shit what other people think
  • Options
    Anything by Yes,Caravan,Moody Blues,ELP or any other prog rock group.Load of pretencious rubbish.
  • Options
    Not gonna get involved in a U2 debate (although yes, Bono is a d'head)...

My nomination: Nirvana - Nevermind.
    funny gifs
  • Options
    Anything by State Arse Quo!
  • Options
    Anything by Pink Floyd - Ponce Rock for wannabe university hippies.
    Anything by The Stone Roses - Ian Brown is about as talented as my toe.
    The Smiths and Morrisey, anyone who likes this guff should have their ears cut off. Utter Drivel.
    Sergeant Pepper by The Beatles - Revolver and Rubber Soul are much better albums IMO.
    Anyone who writes comments like this should have there fingers cut off. Utter Drivel
  • Options
    Anything by Pink Floyd - Ponce Rock for wannabe university hippies.
    Anything by The Stone Roses - Ian Brown is about as talented as my toe.
    The Smiths and Morrisey, anyone who likes this guff should have their ears cut off. Utter Drivel.
    Sergeant Pepper by The Beatles - Revolver and Rubber Soul are much better albums IMO.
    Anyone who writes comments like this should have there fingers cut off. Utter Drivel
    Ooo get 'er! I think I've hit a nerve!
  • Options
    Not at all, just a dumb comment really
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Not at all, just a dumb comment really

He enjoys being controversial cambi and hitting raw nerves as he pus it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Courtesy of Youtube I have been revisiting a number of albums from the 70s.
    Soft Parade by the Doors is still very dissappointing after their opening two masterpieces. Led Zep did a fantastic series from 1 through to Presence, with the exception of Houses of the Holy, which had too much dross on it.
    I agree that Dark Side of the Moon is so over-rated, but Wish You Were Here is still very good.
    I never understood why the Beatles were so popular, other than that they were British. QMS and Jefferson Airplane/ Starship were far better. All IMO of course.
  • Options

Learn to spell then maybe your hearing might start to work?
  • Options
    Tales of Topographic Oceans by Yes, is er interesting.
  • Options
    A different class...is a different class...nuf said
  • Options
    Forgot to mention hotel California by the Eagles : "on a dark desert highway fart wind in my bum hair,warm smell of petunia oil rising up through my flares "
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Funny about Pet Sounds, I loved all the old Beach Boys stuff and picked up the album years ago (on vinyl!). After playing it, I remember thinking that like a lot of acts from that era they did great singles but the albums were just a bunch of hits and a lot of chaff. Fast forward about 20 years to the days of Q/Mojo etc, and suddenly it was seen as the second greatest album ever after the inevitable Sgt Pepper (Revolver was miles better IMO). Still can't quite see why.

On the same topic, I've not heard Smile, but seems to be treated as some sort of Holy Grail when the truth was it was left in the vaults for years as Brian Wilson was disintegrating while making it, the suspicion is that the results were er, variable.

I think it was the late great John Entwistle who said that a lot of the bonus tracks on CD's were left unreleased for a reason......!
  • Options
    Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then
  • Options
    Anything by Coldplay - just don't get them.

as for some people slating Pink Floyd, The Beatles etc.............wtf ???? Dark Side of the Moon is one of the best albums ever made and whilst I would agree that the eary Beatles stuff is a bit twee, you can't argue agianst some of their later stuff, inc Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Let it Be and Abbey Road.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    People slating Pink Floyd or the Beatles are perhaps looking at it from the perspective of today, 40 years on.

Maybe some of these albums are sounding dated today and haven't stood the test of time ......but they were totally ground breaking at the time.

Groundbreaking at the time - and still sounding timeless and not at all dated all these years on (which is why the Beatles, Floyd and Zep continue to sell more records/downloads per annum than any of today's bands!).

But I do wonder if rock music has gone the way of jazz - i.e. after 40 or so years of innovative recordings ( ending circa 1960 in the case of jazz, and around 1995 in the case of rock), all possibilities have been exhausted and so all the genre can do is repeat itself with ever diminishing returns?

But back on the topic of over-rated albums- that is critically-acclaimed rather than simply mega-selling (and sorry, whoever said Alannah Myles, she was never rated, even at the time!) :-

Patti Smith - Horses

Pulp - Different Class (two great tracks and ten indifferent ones)

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

The Clash - Sandinista! (the bloated triple album on which they decided they were punk's answer to ELP and Yes).

Shameless plug time: for the other side of the coin and the definitive lowdown on great but underrated albums, please refer to my book The Rough Guide To The Best Music You've Never Heard (Penguin/Rough Guides, £12.99 from all good bookshops - if there are any such institutions left. And failing that probably even cheaper on Amazon.com...)

• Options
    SingalongaMax Vol. 3.

1 & 2 were ok.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Or Swing'a log'atMax as it's know by some.
  • Options
    Or SwingalogatMax as it's know by some.
    Ah - "those" parties, eh?

• Options

funny gifs
    Although a big Nirvana fan myself, I agree. Nevermind is a really good album but In Utero is better, which many people agree about actually.
  • Options

funny gifs
    Although a big Nirvana fan myself, I agree. Nevermind is a really good album but In Utero is better, which many people agree about actually.
    Bleach man myself.
  • Options

Groundbreaking at the time - and still sounding timeless and not at all dated all these years on (which is why the Beatles, Floyd and Zep continue to sell more records/downloads per annum than any of today's bands!).

But I do wonder if rock music has gone the way of jazz - i.e. after 40 or so years of innovative recordings ( ending circa 1960 in the case of jazz, and around 1995 in the case of rock), all possibilities have been exhausted and so all the genre can do is repeat itself with ever diminishing returns?

But back on the topic of over-rated albums- that is critically-acclaimed rather than simply mega-selling (and sorry, whoever said Alannah Myles, she was never rated, even at the time!) :-

Patti Smith - Horses

The Clash - Sandinista! (the bloated triple album on which they decided they were punk's answer to ELP and Yes).

Shameless plug time: for the other side of the coin and the definitive lowdown on great but underrated albums, please refer to my book The Rough Guide To The Best Music You Never Heard (Penguin/Rough Guides, £12.99 from all good bookshops - if there are any such institutions left. And failing that probably even cheaper on Amazon.com...)

good post .. Rock is dead but music lives on ... just
  • Options

Patti Smith - Horses

Shameless plug time: for the other side of the coin and the definitive lowdown on great but underrated albums, please refer to my book The Rough Guide To The Best Music You Never Heard (Penguin/Rough Guides, £12.99 from all good bookshops - if there are any such institutions left. And failing that probably even cheaper on Amazon.com...)

good post .. Rock is dead but music lives on ... just
    Rock isn't dead, it just isn't mainstream. There is currently some amazing unheard of bands around, you just need to dig around. Spotify is a good place to start.
  • Options
    Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then
    Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then
    sorry about the abuse bit p-ssed off at the time, but everyone likes different music all down to taste, must apologise.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    To some, talking about music is akin to talking about religion.
    It's a very easy way to really upset some folks who have music that they love so very much get slagged off......if you love your music and it's meaning to you as an individual these music threads (as harmless as they are I suppose) are a very easy place to get wound up.
    What pizzes me off the most is folk who weren't around (or were very young at the time) slagging off bands and musicians that quite understandably were huge influences and vehicles of huge delight to folk at the time but in comparison mean less or little to later generations.
    Some of it get's pretty thoughtless to be honest and is often said for effect rather than serious content.....some folk take their music and the influence it has had on their lives very very seriously, I know I do.....strange to some no doubt but never-the-less true.
  • Options
    I never been able to appreciate Pet Sounds.
    The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

I've tried giving this a go time and time again over the years. I've actually sat there and analysed, dissected, wined 'n' dined the soddin' thing and STILL haven't a clue why it's held in such high regard. Yeah of course it's got a couple of great tracks on there but this album consistantly appears in polls as one of the finest pieces of work in the history of modern music....and i'm at a complete loss as to why.

Exactly
  • Options
    To some, talking about music is akin to talking about religion.
    It's a very easy way to really upset some folks who have had music that they love so very much get slagged off......if you love your music and it's meaning to you as an individual these music threads (as harmless as they are I suppose) are a very easy place to get wound up.
    What pizzes me off the most is folk who weren't around (or were very young at the time) slagging off bands and musicians that quite understandably were huge influences and vehicles of huge delight to folk at the time but in comparison mean less or little to later generations.
    Some of it get's pretty thoughtless to be honest and is often said for effect rather than serious content.....some folk take their music and the influence it has had on their lives very very seriously, I know I do.....strange to some no doubt but never-the-less true.
    As Patti Smith said "Talking 'bout my generation"