Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Negativity.

edited July 2012 in Not Sports Related
Posters on this sight really need to cheer up. After the last couple of weeks of the whole 'We are going to crash and burn epidemic', we finally get a couple of signings to cheer the mood up a little, but i still find nothing but negative comments. I can't really understand why? After the great season we have just had with shattering records all over the place you would have thought posters on here would lighten up. Also why are so many attacking other posters on here for no reason? See Tango Flashes Football manager thread, is there really any need? If you don't like the joke don't post on there at all you wouldn't abuse him down the pub for telling a bad joke, so why should you on here?

Sorry about the rant but people on here have really gotten on my nerves! So please for your own sakes lighten up and enjoy the Championship next year, after the dark seasons in league one we should all be looking forward to whats to come.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    can not beat a dancing dog
  • Options
    well said that man
  • Options
    I dunno about that... http://i.imgur.com/gPqvb.gif

Agree with the OP though.
  • Options
    Here's how I'm looking at it...

At the very worst, we could be in the same financial situation that was in a couple of years back (which was pretty bad), but at least we will be a division higher.

It is a shame to see/hear next to no excitement around us playing Championship sides next year though.
  • Options
    i must admit, that dog has made me feel a lot more positive about everything.
  • Options
    That dog would have smashed bgt.
  • Options
    We are in a better league for future investment and a probable better looking prospect for future investors

I am glad we ate signing players especially ones like Wilson who offered enough in league 1 last year to step up and I believe another young player who has returned

I will be wondering how we finance it and if it has a knock on but I am happy that we are doing it

Questions still need to be asked and we still need to progress as fans

The next couple of signings may make people think its bs

We will see if I have to say I was fed bollox I will
  • Options
    I dunno about that... http://i.imgur.com/gPqvb.gif

Agree with the OP though.
    jimmy rolly poly cat --nice one what a duet

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have made a few comments today but none to the degree where i would say im being a grumpy poster...im saying that im not excited by the sigining (possible signings) today and the thread for Tango Flash made me laugh reading it all the way through. But who cares enough about FM really LOL.
    However, something to lighten my mood was the fact my season ticket is on its way!
  • Options
    funny gifs
  • Options

At the very worst, we could be in the same financial situation that was in a couple of years back (which was pretty bad), but at least we will be a division higher.

It is a shame to see/hear next to no excitement around us playing Championship sides next year though.
    I think you have answered your own question Tom, if, at the very worst we are in the position we were in a couple of seasons ago we are in the shit.

We were in league One a couple of seasons ago and had it not been for Slater/Cash/Jiminez who knows what would have happened, best Administration, worst...who knows.

You are correct we are now in a league higher which means higher wages, higher running costs i.e. ticketing staff (more tickets to sell), stewards (bigger crowds), Police costs etc.

If we could not afford to keep our heads above water in League One we will drown in The Championship if the funding has gone.
  • Options
    Agree with you CAFC Crazy.
    My doctor told me I was too negative.
    I told him I wasnt
  • Options

You are correct we are now in a league higher which means higher wages, higher running costs i.e. ticketing staff (more tickets to sell), stewards (bigger crowds), Police costs etc.

Or you could say that we are now in a league higher which means bigger attendances, larger gate money, greater merchandise sales, better teams coming to The Valley, brilliant local derby's, more TV money, one step away from the Premier League etc...but lets not focus on the positive eh?

• Options
    I think you will find it well documented on here Dan that ticket sales and merchandise don't put a dent in the running of any football club not just Charlton.

I am all for being positive mate but it needs to be seen how it is, the problems that appear to be happening at the moment are not to be viewed through rose tinted specs.

• Options
    Taking of negativity . What ever happened to poster Leroy Ambrose ?
  • Options

Oops, looks like I read the title incorrectly :-)
  • Options
    Fair enough Mike, maybe I'm just mellowing in my older years and enjoying Charlton and football for what it is....rather than getting bogged down and worrying about things I can't control.
  • Options
    Taking of negativity . What ever happened to poster Leroy Ambrose ?
    He moved to Netherton (south of Croydon) and has hardly been heard of since.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No negativity here , its all a smokescreen, live , laugh, love and be happy as the song goes.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    like the OP I can't get my head around the negativity either. Some on here have suggested we are going into administration this week or next week or financial backers have pulled out.

either way how on earth can you finance a deal to sign Wilson when the cash isn't there? I think some people need to go back and question there sources maybe they don't know as much as they used to or there info is out of date because I really don't see how a club with a cashflow problem can make an up-front payment to Stevenage without 1) leaving us so short on cash the players don't get paid which subsequently gets leaked to the media which hasn't happened yet so one can only assume there is no problem in players being paid and therefore no cashflow problem and 2) if our backer has pulled out who rubber-stumped the downpayment and finance for Wilson or do you think we're paying them in air-conditioning units?
  • Options
    or things may simply have changed in the last two days Martinho.

Every single person wants what is best for the club, so if issues have been resolved / there has been a cash injection / new investor has come in, then brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

If it turns out in time that as problems were filtered down, it turns out some of it was exaggerated, then thankfully there will have been no lasting damage other than a bit of conjecture. Personally, given the breadth and quality of initial sources, i would be surprised if that was the case.

If however many weeks / months down the line, it turns out that these signings, and potential future bigger ones, were made at a time when our foundations were made of sand and in no real position to be making them, then we have every right to be furious.

Very much hope that last scenario proves to be the one incorrect, and is starting to look the most unlikeliest if you take a step back and try and make sense of the wider picture.

Time will tell i suppose.

• Options
    Well said, AFKA.
  • Options
    I highly doubt we will have made signings with no cash as explained, however that's not to say that some kind of change may well have taken place in the boardroom which might explain why we've had no signings until today. There may have been a change, there may not have, truth is nobody really knows. The only yardstick we can really go on is transfer activity and news that has made it public and so far the news that has been made public are of signings, extended contracts and youth investment.

SCP stated he wanted (most of) his signings in for the Welling game, given we don't need to make many changes to the squad I would be very surprised if we signed no more than another two players being a LM and a CB. Had no signings materialised by the Welling game then yes I think questions and issues would rightly have been raised. Until then no-one really knows what is happening in the boardroom and whatever may or may not have happened - doesn't seem to have had a negative impact on us to date.
  • Options
    My wife just said that dog dances better than I do.

• Options
    The only yardstick we can really go on is transfer activity and news that has made it public and so far the news that has been made public are of signings, extended contracts and youth investment.
    That is your yardstick, which i fully appreciate and understand. My yardstick however has been tampered with, as on top of the things you say above, i have to factor in other things which i have been told by people i trust (who would know). I simply can't ignore that, which is why when we make signings on the basis of not hearing that anything has changed in the wider picture, has me scratching my head.

Anyway, it will all come out in the wash i'm sure.

• Options
    Ok, own up! Who's tampered with AFKAs yardstick?

Come on, he's had it since he was a baby and he was hoping to have grown to be able to put the little black line at the top on his next birthday!
  • Options
    Recent history is littered with football clubs making new signings despite the fact that they were financially in the shit, so the recent acquisitions both on the playing and non-playing side aren't necessarily evidence that the club's finances are totally rosy. It might be a good sign, it might not - unless someone lets us have a look at the books, we've got no way of knowing.

Personally, I'm not stressing about the possibility of the club going into admin tomorrow, because it's highly unlikely to happen, and even if it did there's bog all I could do about it anyway. It's not a question of burying my head in the sand, but managing the various things I have going on. Other people here would rather share their concerns with like-minded fellow fans, and without knowing exactly what they know, where they heard it from and how up to date their information is, we can't say whether they're being negative or just realistic. What I think it is safe to say, is that until the transfer window closes and we see who has come in and who has left, we're not really going to know how competitive the squad is going to be in the Championship. Now we can either spend the next 6 weeks getting worked up about every little rumour of ins and outs, dismissing fellow posters as rosetinted, scaremongerers or whatever, or we could chill out a bit, and wait and see what happens.
  • Options
    It was never a full yard it would've been taller than him