Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hayden Mullins, Lee Bowyer, Darren Purse, Jimmy Bullard...

Which one of these four 'never signs'* has been most linked with us over the years ????

Any others been repeatedly linked over the years, only to never come to us ?

*re-sign in Bowyer's case

Comments

• Sidwell and Majeta Kezman. I'd give the award to Mullins though.
  • Out of that lot it's got to be Purse.

We were always seemed to be linked with that Gardner, the one at Palace.
  • that morrocan and belgian
  • You missed out Julian Gray .
  • Mullins is the one I remember the most
  • For some reason, always thought Kevin Phillips may have ended up playing for us.

• Quashie used to come up a fair bit if I remember rightly
  • You missed out Julian Gray .
    good call, though he did trial

• edited July 2012
    Who was the lad Steve ? Who played for Gravesend & Northfleet in the early to mid 90s. Top goal scorer and was gonna be the next Killer. I think he ended up with a eye injury which finished him in the game.
    His surname might be Bridge or Porter, he was linked with us for a couple of seasons.
  • Steve portway. Awesome at that level
  • Sponsored links:

• Who was the lad Steve ? Who played for Gravesend & Northfleet in the early to mid 90s. Top goal scorer and was gonna be the next Killer. I think he ended up with a eye injury which finished him in the game.
    His surname might be Bridge or Porter, he was l ked with us for a couple of seasons.
    Steve Portway.

James Scowcroft was linked with us plenty of times, but I think the prize would go to Darren Purse.

Pretty sure Kezman and Flamini were lined up before Chelsea and Arsenal nipped in.

• Alex Rae's name often used to be mentioned.
  • I thought this was going to continue...

"...go into this pub. Hayden says to the Landlord. Can I have three pints and Lee would like a look at your wife.
    The landlord pulls the pints and calls up the stairs. "Lily, come down here, Lee Bowyer wants to have a look at you".
    etc
  • Marlon Harewood's name came up a few times
  • My money is on Purse..
  • Jagielka before he went to Everton
  • Remember when we nearly signed Flamini? The (joke) rumour at the time was we paid for his flight over and then Wenger poached him the airport!
  • Has to be purse.... Thank f@ck he never came!! What a pile of tosh
  • Sponsored links:

• Jeffrey Schlupp seems to be the Powell era's King 'never sign'...
  • Steve Claridge was one we were linked with and would have made a lot of sense back in the pre Super Clive days...
  • I remember when we were allegedly gonna sign Morientes or Xavier Portillo from Real Madrid.
  • Craig Bellamy
  • Mullins is still be linked with us this very day.

FR:

09 Jul 2012 20:07:56
    Once the transfer ban is lifted and Michael Appleton is allowed to sign people, 6 players will join Portsmouth which will be Izale McLeod (free) Lee Naylor (free) Tamas Kadar (Free) George Thorne (season loan) Jon Harley (Free) and David Button (season loan)

Players leaving will be; David Norris, Luke Varney and Greg Halford to Leeds, Liam Lawrence to Cardiff, Hayden Mullins to Charlton, Eric Huseklepp to Brann and Ben-Haim to Partizal Belgrade
  • Mark Van Bommel.
    James Beattie
    Jeremy Goss (turned us down for Hearts at the last minute)
    Don Hutchison
    Ian Wright
    Mark Hughes (first year in the prem when he was leaving Chelsea)

• Could you imagine if he had signed the likes of Flamini, Morientes, Jagielka, Kezman, Hasselbaink, Di Canio, Murphy, Dailly.... Oh wait sorry I got off on a tangent there
  • theballisround.co.uk/2010/12/09/non-league-legends-steve-portway/
    thanks for that. A really nice interview
    That's a great article - and the bit about his move to Charlton breaking down was a great reminder of why its sometimes best to let players leave if they want to leave as they will never produce the same level of performance for you if you block their progress.

The Scott Parker thing to Chelsea is a classic case of this; if we had forced him to stay then what sort of performances would he have put in for the rest of the season?
  • Mullins
  • Not exactly a player we've often been mentioned in the same breath as, but there was once a time when we were linked with Christiano Ronaldo before he went to Man U. Hard to believe now.