Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall - Charlton 1969

edited July 2012 in General Charlton
Highlights from Millwall - Charlton have just appeared on the Maxxed Football forum - under "Match of the Day/The Big Match (16th August 1969)" in the Classic Matches thread.

Maxxed is at http://www.fbtz.com/forum/

You have to register in order to access the files.

Was anyone at the game?

"The Big Match cameras were sent to The Den for this brutal 2nd Division London derby between Millwall and Charlton Athletic. The Lions had made a poor start to the season, losing both of their matches while their opponents are hoping to build on their third place finish in May"

Comments

• Options
    Bloody hell how sad is this....I recognise every name for both teams.....not sure if I was at that game...but I'm positive I went to the one at the Valley in the same season......that was 'hard' as well!! I was 15 then....those were the days!!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    That was the season I first started going to the Valley and recognise every name too. Strange seeing a team list with only 1 sub.
  • Options
    Three of theirs went on to play for us.
  • Options
    Back in the early 70"s Millwall trained at Peak Freens Sports Club (now Colfes School playing field) , we lived in the road that backed on to the field so during the summer holiday"s we would go and watch them in pre-season training, I was already an ardent Charlton supporter by this time, something which must have been sensed by the Millwall players as on one occasion, whilst not paying attention, I got hit in the side of the head from a Gordon Bolland volley, it knocked me off my feet and straight into a bush of stinging nettles, did they come and help this poor lad ? no, they all stood around laughing, my hatred for them was cemented.
  • Options
    I remember going to the game. Sadly, Cripps, Kitchener, Weller and the great Bob Curtis all gone.
  • Options
    Where was Treacy from that classic line-up?
  • Options
    Was there. Terrified as usual. Ray Crawford is an interesting name from the past, didn't we sack him in the end?
  • Options
    Didnt we sell Ray Treacy....I remember Alan Campbell going to Birmingham around 70ish
  • Options
    I think this was the onewhen my mates and I got bottled near New Cross on the way to the game.
  • Options
    Back in the early 70"s Millwall trained at Peak Freens Sports Club (now Colfes School playing field) , we lived in the road that backed on to the field so during the summer holiday"s we would go and watch them in pre-season training, I was already an ardent Charlton supporter by this time, something which must have been sensed by the Millwall players as on one occasion, whilst not paying attention, I got hit in the side of the head from a Gordon Bolland volley, it knocked me off my feet and straight into a bush of stinging nettles, did they come and help this poor lad ? no, they all stood around laughing, my hatred for them was cemented.
    Good story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there with my dad, from what I can remember there was a lot more banter amoungst the fans in the crowd then as there was a lot of Charlton mixed in amoungst the Millwall fans, we stood on the half way line.

Sadly not the case now
  • Options
    Remember watching it on the Big Match the day after, I think Ray Crawford scored with an overhead kick. Read somewher Eddie Firmani got fed up with Crawford and outed him, dimly remember it was something to do with his missus telling him to ask for more money!
  • Options
    It was related to his wife, but thought he wanted time off from training as she was unwell? Crawford's goal was a golden goal contender that season.
  • Options
    I think this was the onewhen my mates and I got bottled near New Cross on the way to the game.
    Aaah, happy days......
  • Options
    I was there with my dad, from what I can remember there was a lot more banter amoungst the fans in the crowd then as there was a lot of Charlton mixed in amoungst the Millwall fans, we stood on the half way line.

Sadly not the case now
    20,451 there that day. Now, if only we could open up all the seats and have no segregation this season...would be a great match and atmosphere.
  • Options
    No thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Remember this game only too well.....got to the game late because of 'something' that happened to me on the way to the game outside a pub in New Cross Gate.......as for what went on after I got back to The Den....well my lips are sealed but I went home 'satisfied'!
  • Options
    Glad to hear you went home happy SoundAs!
  • Options
    A happy ending ?

Don't bear thinking about
  • Options
    I was there with my Dad.
    Was that the year we walked?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sadly not the case now
    Same with me. We were on the half way without any hint of trouble. All of their nutters in the day were on the CBL. I think this season was the start of our demise in the late 60's, early 70's culminating in a relegation to Div 3 in 1972. The return match at the Valley in April 1970 saw Millwall take the covered end and invade the pitch on numerous occasions because they thought they might be going up. But they just missed out...Ha.
  • Options

Sadly not the case now
    Same with me. We were on the half way without any hint of trouble. All of their nutters in the day were on the CBL. I think this season was the start of our demise in the late 60's, early 70's culminating in a relegation to Div 3 in 1972. The return match at the Valley in April 1970 saw Millwall take the covered end and invade the pitch on numerous occasions because they thought they might be going up. But they just missed out...Ha.
    That was 1971/72 season and a 2-0 win at The Valley.
  • Options

Sadly not the case now
    That was 1971/72 season and a 2-0 win at The Valley.
    I stand corrected, sir
  • Options
    Baldybonce said:

I was there with my Dad.

me too we didn't walk but we did walk to Highbury
  • Options
    Bugger !
  • Options
    Baldybonce said:

I was there with my Dad.

me too we didn't walk but we did walk to Highbury
    Walked to selhurst 68/69 & twice to qpr .....don't recall walking to millsmall or highbury ........much easier to jump the train & tubes & run riot in Holloway Road lol
  • Options
    Typed into "YouTube" Millwall v Charlton, 1969. Got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd2Noe4VBS0
  • Options
    we actually got a point at millwall.
    extremely rare footage indeed.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Typed into "YouTube" Millwall v Charlton, 1969. Got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd2Noe4VBS0
    Erm...well P that's 2009 of course.