Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The cost of milk.

edited July 2012 in Not Sports Related
Poster says it all.

Comments

• Options
    Worse than that Big_Rob. It only says half of it. Not only do Asda, Morries and the Co-op screw the farmers, they also rip off their customers. They charge typically £1-39 for a 4pt bottle against places like LIDL, ALDI and Iceland who all sell it for £1.
  • Options
    WTF are the dairy farmers still supply these supermarkets with the milk then?!!
  • Options
    WTF are the dairy farmers still supply these supermarkets with the milk then?!!
    Because these supermarkets are the farmers customers and because people expect decent produce for pennys, the supermarkets drive to prices down.

Who else do you expect the dairy farmers to sell their milk to?
  • Options
    Could have put this into cheese and feck the supermarkets...
  • Options
    Good idea, we should let the NFU know right away!
  • Options
    Bring back the milkman!
  • Options
    Good idea, we should let the NFU know right away!
    Ha ha - but seriously - make organic cheese and sell these to the frenchies or the toffs at Blackheath farmers' fair. I'm mighty p*ssed off at supermarkets as my grandfather and his brothers were all farmers and they'd be angry at the going-ons these days...
  • Options
    The farmers sell to the dairies (eg Robert Wiseman, Arla) who then sell on to the supermarkets. It is the dairies that are squeezing the farmers.
  • Options
    and sell it where?
  • Options
    4 pint of Milk in Morrisons is £1:00
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the farmers lose 12 pence per pint, can I suggest they dont sell 1 million pints and they have 'made' a quick £120,000.00
  • Options
    If the farmers lose 12 pence per pint, can I suggest they dont sell 1 million pints and they have 'made' a quick £120,000.00
    ?? But then the 'loss' would be greater as they wouldn't be making any sales.
  • Options
    I would happily pay more for milk if the extra went to the farmers, just not sure that it would get to them.
  • Options
    When the price of produce goes down, it's not the supermarkets loosing money, but the producers. When the price goes up, it's generally in the supermarket's pockets.

Tescos affectively put me out of business a few years back so this hits a nerve with me.
  • Options
    Don't the farmers get a payment from the EU. It was a long time ago that I studied the CAP but I'm sure they are not running at a loss.

My Dad always used to say that the farmers would complain about making no money before getting into their Rolls Royces and driving off to their five bedroom detached farmhouses on acres and acres of land.

If they don't want to sell the milk to the dairies and/or the supermarkets for a loss they could charge more or, literally, stop producing milk.

For the record I've never met a poor farmer, yet I know a few that are very, very rich.
  • Options
    Ok I mean if they dont produce 1 million pints then they are in the money.

Why would they make a product only to sell at a loss?

• Options
    Boycott the supermarkets, help farmers and small local shops.
  • Options

Because its their business to, are you saying that they should just go out of business? You can't just stop a dairy herd from producing milk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you can get to a dairy farm or dairy to buy direct, that is by far the cheapest way get your milk.
  • Options

Because its their business to, are you saying that they should just go out of business? You can't just stop a dairy herd from producing milk.

I also think the EU have something to do with it
  • Options

Surely going out of business and earning Nil is better than running a business and losing £100k ?
    If they lose money on every pint made, then there is no business anyway.
  • Options
    I know it's a glib comment but don't farmers in general bleat (no pun) about pretty much everything ? A dairy farmers only raison d' être is to produce milk. If that business runs at a loss then a. How can he continue and b why would anyone do it.
  • Options
    Genuine question, do all dairy farms run at a loss all of the time or are there periods where they turn a decent profit ?
  • Options
    Surely if diary farms run at a loss, they would go out of business! This is what I don't undertsand.
  • Options
    someone highlighted this to me the other day, and I'm definately going to think twice about where to buy my milk in future.

Has anyone got a list of the supermarkets who do not rip off the farmers and those that do so I know who to avoid?
  • Options
    It seems too much milk is being made? That is the problem.
  • Options
    Surely if diary farms run at a loss, they would go out of business! This is what I don't undertsand.
    I think you'll find they are subsidised by EU grants. I know they can get a grant to convert to beef farming.
  • Options
    I think you'll find they are subsidised by EU grants. I know they can get a grant to convert to beef farming.
    I think you may be wide of the mark: guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cif-green/2009/dec/22/farmers-poverty-eu-subsidies