Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The cost of milk.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for that SL, after reading that lot it must be grim trying to farm anything.
  • Options
    If they stopped producing so much milk and limited it's supply as does happen with certain fruit and veg at certain times the farmers union could control the cost/price.

Also people always say about using local shops and not the big supermarkets but it is not that easy, with a supermarket everything you need is in one place, with lots of little shops it takes ages.
  • Options
    If the farmers lose 12 pence per pint, can I suggest they dont sell 1 million pints and they have 'made' a quick £120,000.00
    ?? But then the 'loss' would be greater as they wouldn't be making any sales.

Ok I mean if they dont produce 1 million pints then they are in the money.

Why would they make a product only to sell at a loss?

Because its their business to, are you saying that they should just go out of business? You can't just stop a dairy herd from producing milk.
    Surely going out of business and earning Nil is better than running a business and losing £100k ?
    If they lose money on every pint made, then there is no business anyway.
    But it still isn't the answer though is it.
  • Options
    The call for their milk IS THERE, it's just that the supermarkets and a large percentage of the general public want it for pennies. It's not just dairy farms either, but all types of British producers and small businesses. To say they should just stop producing the milk is blaaady stupid. People want quality products, but aren’t interested in paying a fair price for it.
    Most European countries could be more or less self sufficient if they accept two things.
    1/ Only eat seasonal produce.
    2/ Pay a bit more for it.
  • Options
    someone highlighted this to me the other day, and I'm definately going to think twice about where to buy my milk in future.

Has anyone got a list of the supermarkets who do not rip off the farmers and those that do so I know who to avoid?
    Yeah, all of them.

• Options
    I know it's a glib comment but don't farmers in general bleat (no pun) about pretty much everything ? A dairy farmers only raison d' être is to produce milk. If that business runs at a loss then a. How can he continue and b why would anyone do it.
    Maybe they do, but in general for good reason. They are the custodians of Our countryside and so if they do "just go out of business", who do we expect to step up to the plate???

British farmers and British fishermen do get a raw deal when you look at other European countries.
  • Options
    someone highlighted this to me the other day, and I'm definately going to think twice about where to buy my milk in future.

Has anyone got a list of the supermarkets who do not rip off the farmers and those that do so I know who to avoid?
    Yeah, all of them.

Not true apparently. M&S and Waitrose pay farmers directly and Tesco's and Sainsbury's also come out of it well. I think actually some of the smaller mini markets might be most at fault here as well as Morrisons, Asda and Co-op. From the little research i've done anyway.