Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst refereeing performance at a Charlton game

1 Keith Styles v Plymouth @ 2008.

One of their players (Tamir ?) even finished Todorov's career, but I don't think he even gave a free kick. The most inept performance I've ever seen. They kicked us off the pitch & we hardly got a free kick.

2 Mike Reilly v was it Liverpool or Man U ? When he red carded Konchesky early doors for a non existent elbow. I've never seen a ref run so fast to red card someone. He would have beaten Wyatt Earp, Jesse James & the man with no name ? (Clint Eastwood) to the draw.

3 Graham Poll - All his games.

PS Thank God we no longer have to put up with Poll, Reilly, Styles, Clattenburg. They really were the worst. Generally Division 1 refs were better (there were a few bad ones).

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Whoever the ref was for Peter Hunt's 'goal' vs Oldham 72-73. I was there and my recollection is that all the players started lining up for a goal kick, with not a single Addick claiming a goal or saying anything to the ref. I was completely gobsmacked when the goal was given

Then there was the clown vs Colchester -- no goal --- er, goal -- er no.

So not all the duff ones have cost us!
  • Options
    1. Trevor Kettle at Oldham 11 yellows & three reds
    2. Trevor Kettle at Bristol Rovers - not red carding Blizzard for the tackle on Basey after 17 seconds (although he did apologise afterwards!)
    3. Andy D'Urso calling off the Boxing Day fixture vs Southampton, except that was a non-performance really.
    4. Graham Poll - the free kick that wasn't - was that against Fulham and finished our season?
    Oh, have I mentioned Trevor Kettle?
  • Options
    1 Rob Styles v Plymouth just dreadful
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Trevor Kettle at Oldham, it was just laughable, pathetic, unbelievably bad etc etc, sorry misread the topic, thought it was the worse refereeing performance.

In that case will say Styles v Plymouth.
  • Options
    Mike Dean against Leicester. I swear the bloke had it in for us after that game, and was more than the happy for the game on Weymouth Beach to go ahead away at Chelsea.
  • Options
    Hmmm. Our Trev refereed 5 Championship games last season.
  • Options
    whoever the ref was against Millwall when Pat Van Den Haue done Shaun Newton in the first minute
  • Options
    the referee away against Huddersfield last season
  • Options
    The refs at Huddersfield and Oldham last season, both seemed intent on ruining the game, not letting it flow and being the centre of attention.

How Kettle keeps getting games is beyond me.
  • Options
    Has to be Poll V Fulham in the Prem .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mike Dean against Leicester. I swear the bloke had it in for us after that game, and was more than the happy for the game on Weymouth Beach to go ahead away at Chelsea.
    Is that the Leicester game where he sent off Steve Brown while he was being stretchered off? And then evened it up a bit later by sending off one of their players for basically nothing. Great day that, when everyone started throwing the merchandise catalogues onto the pitch.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I don't know who the referee was, but in the early days back at The Valley Sweaty Balmer was down injured and the ref refused to let the physio on to give him treatment as he thought he wasn't injured. Turned out that Sweaty had a broken rib and punctured lung!! I think it may have been against Grimsby ?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    The ref a couple of years ago who disallowed a Colchester goal, then allowed it, & then just as we were about to kick of disallowed it again.

Later found out he was related to a mate of mine!
  • Options
    Can't remember the ref. We played Liverpool in our first season in the Prem at Anfield. One of ours got knocked down and we had clear advantage, and the ref pulled it back for a free kick.
  • Options
    The first two that sprung to mind were two Bristol Rovers games. One where that Blizzard fella went right through Basey nearly breaking his leg and getting him stretchered off and didn't get sent off, and the other where we got two players sent off, the most ridiculous being Semedo barely touching their player/manager who screamed like he'd been shot and conned the ref. Get the feeling those might have both been away though. Haven't had much good to say about Rovers since then
  • Options
    Who was the ref who didn't give the goal against us, then he did, then he took it away again?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Who was the ref who didn't give the goal against us, then he did, then he took it away again?
    Darren Sheldrake. - was also the referee when we won the league against Wycombe!
  • Options
    Kelvin Morton away at Southend
    Paul Alcock away at Liverpool
  • Options
    Kelvin Morton away at Southend
    Paul Alcock away at Liverpool
    totally agree that these are the worst two I have seen, apologies that they are not at the Valley as per the thread, but Alcock prevented us from going 3-1 up at Anfield by blowing up for a foul on Robinson in the build up instead of playing advantage, Hunt rounded the keeper and with an empty net beckoning the whistle went - noooooooooooo!!! Anyway, we drew 3-3 and Di Canio pushed Alcock over at Hillsborough a week later !

• Options
    This one for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember I was so angry at a refs performance I was going to write to the football league. It was home to Bournemouth 74-75 Mr Toseland. Never did of course.
    Those that I can remeber Halsey aginst Southampton in the early prem days and Poll, I think it was against Villa when the fellow was hairing around the pitch booking players as though he was on speed.
  • Options
    Clattenburg's performance for Arsenal against us in the final Premiership season was a disgrace.
  • Options
    first post beat me to it, Rob Styles vs Plymouth was awful. Gave a booking or a free kick for every single tackle and the one awful tackle that was worth at least a yellow if not red (that finished todorovs carreer) I don't think he even gave a free kick for. Made me really appreciate what kind of absolute nutjobs become referees.
  • Options
    whoever the ref was against Millwall when Pat Van Den Haue done Shaun Newton in the first minute
    Ah, PVDH...he was a nutter. Never dull with him around.

I nominate that loon who somehow gave you lot 2 penalties and sent off Jimi in the 4-4.
  • Options
    Gurnam Singh, at Selhurst v Sheff Wed. Robert Lee tackled knee high in the area, Singh about twenty feet away waved play on.

Kelvin Morton at Selhurst v Palace, Darren Pitchers "Backpass".

Styles v Plymouth. Happened to be back in the country for that one. Lucky me.
  • Options
    There was that one against Colchester I think that didn't know whether to disallow a goal after he had incorrectly blown for offside, and needed telling by the fourth official. Funny as hell, but if that had gone against us, I'd have been livid
  • Options
    This one for me.
    To be fair it was the dwarfish linesman who called it. I still can't believe it!
  • Options
    The first two that sprung to mind were two Bristol Rovers games. One where that Blizzard fella went right through Basey nearly breaking his leg and getting him stretchered off and didn't get sent off, and the other where we got two players sent off, the most ridiculous being Semedo barely touching their player/manager who screamed like he'd been shot and conned the ref. Get the feeling those might have both been away though. Haven't had much good to say about Rovers since then
    Their equaliser was also the result of a blatant handball.

• Options
    For once the ref was spot on- elbows Shearer into Fortune, Shearer off. I was right in front of it, definite red card. The poor performance was the appeal committee that overturned it. Can never like Shearer after that.
  • Options
    This one for me.
    To be fair it was the dwarfish linesman who called it. I still can't believe it!
    Definitely one of the most infuriating calls by an official.