Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lawrie Wilson: Charlton were right to let me go (ed. Signed Bolton)

By Richard Cawley
LAWRIE Wilson has admitted Charlton made the right decision to release him as a kid - because it allowed him to learn what it takes to be a success as a footballer.
The 24-year-old completed his return to The Valley after a deal for just under £400,000 was agreed with Stevenage Borough.
Wilson, released by the Addicks in 2009, has a refreshing attitude, something that seems often to be present in a player that has fought successfully against adversity.
He had to eventually drop all the way to Conference football with Stevenage to get his career motoring again.
And he dislocated his ankle and broke his leg in three places following a bad tackle in a game against Rushden & Diamonds in 2009 - keeping him out of action for nine months.
Now he is back at The Valley after helping the unfashionable Hertfordshire outfit’s rise to League One.
“It’s really nice being around the place again as a pro - a first-team player,” said Wilson. “I’ve learned about football and grown up a lot.
“When you are released you wish you had been given a chance but looking back now I can see I wasn’t ready.
“I’ve had to go away and learn the basics, start from the bottom. I don’t take things for granted. I’ve had success on the way, which is nice.”

http://www.slp.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=24940&headline=Lawrie Wilson: Charlton were right to let me go

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a good man to have around - one of the saddest things around today is the number of gifted young players who let a little bit of success go to their head and thing that they are the finished article and so don't think that they need to graft and learn the game - Kyel Reid and Lloyd Sam spring to mind but I'm sure there are others. Of course when you have a manager who matured like good wine throughout his career as a result of his own efforts - it is not surprising if he tries and adds a few similar bottles to his collection.
  • Options
    sm said:

Sounds like a good man to have around - one of the saddest things around today is the number of gifted young players who let a little bit of success go to their head and thing that they are the finished article and so don't think that they need to graft and learn the game - Kyel Reid and Lloyd Sam spring to mind but I'm sure there are others. Of course when you have a manager who matured like good wine throughout his career as a result of his own efforts - it is not surprising if he tries and adds a few similar bottles to his collection.

Good post

• Options

By Richard Cawley
    LAWRIE Wilson has admitted Charlton made the right decision to release him as a kid - because it allowed him to learn what it takes to be a success as a footballer.
    The 24-year-old completed his return to The Valley after a deal for just under £400,000 was agreed with Stevenage Borough.
    Wilson, released by the Addicks in 2009, has a refreshing attitude, something that seems often to be present in a player that has fought successfully against adversity.
    He had to eventually drop all the way to Conference football with Stevenage to get his career motoring again.
    And he dislocated his ankle and broke his leg in three places following a bad tackle in a game against Rushden & Diamonds in 2009 - keeping him out of action for nine months.
    Now he is back at The Valley after helping the unfashionable Hertfordshire outfit’s rise to League One.
    “It’s really nice being around the place again as a pro - a first-team player,” said Wilson. “I’ve learned about football and grown up a lot.
    “When you are released you wish you had been given a chance but looking back now I can see I wasn’t ready.
    “I’ve had to go away and learn the basics, start from the bottom. I don’t take things for granted. I’ve had success on the way, which is nice.”

http://www.slp.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=24940&headline=Lawrie Wilson: Charlton were right to let me go

Great attitude, knows he was given a second crack at the big time and definitely won't waste it.
  • Options
    These are the sort of hungry players we want to sign i think. Whilst not glamorous they will probably be up for it more than marquee signings on lots of dosh.
  • Options
    Scoham will be punching the air and shouting "yes".

Everytime someone has moaned about a player being let go young and then climbing back up the ladder Scoham has pointed out how sometimes players need to drop down to get games and realise what the game is about.
  • Options
    Had a bit of a brainless moment when I read the title and thought we'd sold him on already....
  • Options

Scoham will be punching the air and shouting "yes".

Everytime someone has moaned about a player being let go young and then climbing back up the ladder Scoham has pointed out how sometimes players need to drop down to get games and realise what the game is about.

Shame they can't put that kind of thing in football manager... ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    goes straight into contention for Saturday’s season opener against Derby County.

But not good enough for us.
  • Options
    I'm pleased he's got a job and hope he does well (not against us of course).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

goes straight into contention for Saturday’s season opener against Derby County.

But not good enough for us.
    To try and sign Adam Le Fondre it was the fans who tried raising the money to get him... Guess that Bolton could be in serious trouble this season as they've not made any major signings.

Congratulations to Lawrie though for staying in the Division
  • Options
    I'm not saying Lawrie isn't good enough, that was the consensus on here.
  • Options
    well done Lawrie and good luck for the season, he certainly had a good battle with Cousins last Friday
  • Options
    Well done in getting a Championship gig. Hope he does well. I still think it's a division above his ability.
  • Options
    Nice one Lawrie.
  • Options
    Good luck Lawrie.
  • Options
    Congratulations Lawrie! A top Lad and deserves championship football
  • Options
    Well done Lawrie.

I also think Bolton will struggle this season based on there transfer activity so far this summer.
  • Options
    happy for him, but he's a League 1 player.
  • Options
    Am pleased he has another Championship club, top bloke!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    walking in a wanderers wonderland, well done Lawrie
  • Options
    "When you are released you wish you had been given a chance but looking back now I can see I wasn’t ready"

Wonder if he remains this self-aware/honest 3 years on? A reasonable pro but too many gaps in his ability at age 27 for him to hold down a 2nd division place.

... he was briefly alright,
    but it all went to shite,
    now Bolton is the Wilson blunderland...
  • Options
    I think Bolton will be in a relegation battle this season.
  • Options
    See Bolton struggling but very happy Wilson has got a club in the Championship. Decent bloke and a decent footballer at times. If he can get some consistency he will be a good acquisition for them. Not sure what happened last year but he looked a shadow of his former self. I reckon a fresh start will sort that.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

See Bolton struggling but very happy Wilson has got a club in the Championship. Decent bloke and a decent footballer at times. If he can get some consistency he will be a good acquisition for them. Not sure what happened last year but he looked a shadow of his former self. I reckon a fresh start will sort that.

Agree. For someone who previously seemed to personify the Charlton spirit (and I was really impressed by him for Stevenage) it was shocking to see his non-performances v Watford & Rotherham(?) In those games he looked completely gone and I have to say, those performances ranked amongst the worst I can remember from a Charlton player. He might rediscover his mojo at Bolton but I think he's done well getting a two year deal.
  • Options
    Like Lawrie, but League One is his level. Done well blagging a Championship pay deal
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Glad to see he is in Bolton's squad for their season opener, but suspect that he is likely to be on the subs bench more often than he starts. Hope I'm wrong on that. He is only a decent-ish player at Championship level but he has great spirit, so I hope he does well there.
  • Options

Like Lawrie, but League One is his level. Done well blagging a Championship pay deal

Exactly. Rotherham, presumably, didn't want him and they are everyone's relegation favourite.
  • Options

Bit harsh in my opinion. Definitely proved himself as a lower championship level in my opinion whilst he was here.