Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    crazy stuff
  • Options
    Where was batman
  • Options
    10 dead story not yet confirmed
    smiffyboy said:

Where was batman

Maybe not the most appropriate time or place for a joke, true or not, IMHO

• Options
    edited July 2012
    surely Batman is a fictional character?

(seriously yet another shocking event, unconfirmed numbers according to BBC, sounds horrific, I just hope we aren't in store for this over the next few weeks, and don't forget Batman is American who do we have?)
  • Options
    Glad guns are not legal in this country.
  • Options
    Up to 14 dead at the moment according to Sky News. Sometimes I really hate this planet and the scum that live on it
  • Options
    That's horrific. Lets hope they catch the culprit.
  • Options
    Awful news.

Happy we have our gun laws. Read yesterday that homicides in UK have fallen again. Will it shock the US into banning guns, no sadly it won't. For every person who thinks like me, there is another who thinks they are safe if they carry guns. Its madness

One person reported in custody.
  • Options
    ..and the nutcases across the pond have used nuclear weapons too, how long before they use them again...just because they can?
  • Options
    It's a horrible, sad world we seem to live in sometimes when poor people on a night out don't make it home. Fortunately still relatively rare and as the news reported yesterday crime seems to be bucking the expected trend during these tough times.

Lets hope the news is better than first reports suggest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And they say south londons bad!
  • Options
    Lets not pretend that we don't have a gun crime problem ourselves.

http://www.channel4.com/news/london-gun-crime-figures-worryingly-high
  • Options
    Tragedy, but nothing will ever, ever, ever part Americans from their guns.

You can put your house on that.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    its likely to be a nutter go on a rampage.

happens there, its happened here and it happened in several other countries.

Sadly, there are lunatics everywhere and when something flicks the switch its innocent people that suffer.

Unfortunately, theres not a lot we can do about it.
  • Options
    Another tragic event. Always remember 'I don't like Mondays' being given as one reason for a massacre: sadly the gun culture in the USA is too lucrative a business for any serious action to be taken against it.
  • Options
    I wonder how they caught him alive seen as he was armed and extremely dangerous.
  • Options
    Not sure of the gun stats alone but the number of murders in UK per day averages at around 2. In the USA it is around 40. Given that is 20 times higher with a population that is only 5 times oursm, that does suggest their problem is far higher than ours.
  • Options
    50 people shot in total, 12 confirmed dead reported by the BBC.
  • Options

Not sure of the gun stats alone but the number of murders in UK per day averages at around 2. In the USA it is around 40. Given that is 20 times higher with a population that is only 5 times oursm, that does suggest their problem is far higher than ours.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that we have a worse problem than the USA.

• Options
    14 confirmed by CBC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a terrible tragedy.

Unfortunately there are just so many guns in the US I don't see how they could ever make them illegal.
  • Options
    The pro-gun lobby is far too strong for any effective action to be taken and politicians are scared to do anything that would cost them votes.
  • Options
    Charlie Brooker has a good piece on this kind of stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8rMYyegT5Y&feature=player_embedded
  • Options
    I'm in America and have been having this discussion with some of my colleagues this morning....some of them honestly believe it would be better if everyone was armed. There really is no hope.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Charlie Brooker has a good piece on this kind of stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8rMYyegT5Y&feature=player_embedded

Very good piece that Jimmy. I was just driving home and Radio 5 cancelled their regular programme to have a half hour "special" on the shooting. I didn't learn one thing during the whole of that programme that they hadn't already told us in a 2 minute news bulletin, with the exception of finding out that some bloke's wife who was there had said she'll never go to the movies again. I'd have guessed that anyway.

All that they kept doing was describing the scene and asking why? Why? Why? I have a question for Radio 5: Why?
  • Options
    On BBC news page, the suspect appears to have a normal background, a 24 year old American man.
    Absolute madness. He shot a 6yr old and a 4 month old baby. A sick sick individual who should be tourtered to death.
    He admitted to police he booby trapped his house with explosives.

What will the punishment be for his crimes? Just getting life in prison is not qualified justice.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

On BBC news page, the suspect appears to have a normal background, a 24 year old American man.
    Absolute madness. He shot a 6yr old and a 4 month old baby. A sick sick individual who should be tourtered to death.
    He admitted to police he booby trapped his house with explosives.

What will the punishment be for his crimes? Just getting life in prison is not qualified justice.

Christ Almighty, I had not read that.

Sometimes there are just no words.
  • Options

Awful news.

Happy we have our gun laws. Read yesterday that homicides in UK have fallen again. Will it shock the US into banning guns, no sadly it won't. For every person who thinks like me, there is another who thinks they are safe if they carry guns. Its madness

Over 30,000 people in the US are killed annually as a result of guns:

http://www.heedinggodscall.org/content/pfctoolkit-10

Consequently Americans buy guns to defend themselves which puts more guns into circulation and that in turn increases the chances of being killed by gunfire. Here we restrict gun ownership rigorously and consequently gun related crime is falling. Sadly in the US the NRA is incredibly powerful - any politician who merely suggests that limiting gun ownership would be a good idea may as well start clearing out his or her desk.

• Options
    DanDavis said:

I'm in America and have been having this discussion with some of my colleagues this morning....some of them honestly believe it would be better if everyone was armed. There really is no hope.

This.
  • Options

Awful news.

Over 30,000 people in the US are killed annually as a result of guns:

http://www.heedinggodscall.org/content/pfctoolkit-10

Consequently Americans buy guns to defend themselves which puts more guns into circulation and that in turn increases the chances of being killed by gunfire. Here we restrict gun ownership rigorously and consequently gun related crime is falling. Sadly in the US the NRA is incredibly powerful - any politician who merely suggests that limiting gun ownership would be a good idea may as well start clearing out his or her desk.

Well the pro argument is very powerfully presented. They will wheel out countless examples of people shooting criminals with guns in self defence who quite possibly would have been killed themselves but for being armed to protect themselves. What the anti gun lobby is unable to argue successfully is the removal of all (most) guns will vastly improve the likely hood of less people being killed in total.

Its the classic case of individual rights (to bear arms) versus the rights of the community as a whole to be protected collectively by guns being taken out of circulation.