Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friendly Banter....

edited July 2012 in General Charlton
I am a regular visitor to this site, have been for a few years, and find it both informative and entertaining. Living in exile in the West Country, it is an invaluable source of rumour and opinion about the club we all love. Now maybe I am getting old, but I find I am more and more uncomfortable with the aggressive abuse that so many threads seem to now descend into. Maybe it was always like this, but I feel it is getting worse. Many posters are verbally abused, just for holding a different opinion, and the line between friendly banter and abuse seems to be crossed so quickly. Supporters from other clubs, even with reasonable views, are now often attacked for just voicing their opinion, maybe I am naive, but I always considered Charlton and its supporters were just that bit different from your stereotypical football fans. In fact I always felt a bit proud of that feeling. The vitriolic abuse that goes on here, even sometimes puts me off reading threads, which is a shame, am I alone in wishing that people on this brilliant site, were just a bit more polite with each other?

Comments

• Options
    It just aint cricket!!!!
  • Options
    Agreed , it shows a lack of class and I blame their parents
  • Options
    T'is why a few of us old timers just don't post anymore :(
    I still read but rarely post now.
    Victim of its own success I suppose.
    It's worse during the close season too.
  • Options
    No you are not alone, I completely agree with your remarks. CL is a victim of it's own success but also the lack of football and lack of transfer news has IMO resulted in a frustration amongst many supporters which has manifested itself in more aggressive threads and comments. I can't see that there is anything that can be done about it except for us all to remain with CL and hope "normal service" is resumed when the season kicks off. If those of us that agree with Glosfan leave the site then it will create a vacuum that might be filled with more aggressive behaviour, so stick with CL and look forward to the new season.
  • Options
    I don't think it's agressive tbh , I think that it can be argumentative

Agressive is a strong word to use when describing a thread

I think people are too sensitive sometimes

It shouldn't stop anyone posting of someone is being a dick head tell them and crack on

• Options
    I'm sorry you feel that ways guys. Hate waking up to these type of posts.

Seriously, help us. What can we do ? I doubt you'll find anyone who put collectively out as much effort into moderating a forum as we do. A

s I said in one of my frequent moans to try and improve standards, it isn't a case of one or two letting things down, its that standards have seemingly fallen completely across the board impacting hundreds. How do you realistically manage that ?

We moderate, we speak to people privately, and we regular issue public messages. We try and coax and give benefit of doubt as much as possible, and ban as few as possible. Just banning a few people simply won't work.

As I've said before, Facebook and Twitter has changes the way people post onto the internet. It's mainly built on negatives, moans or abuse, and that has spread onto forums and article comments.

So please, if you have ideas on how to.improve things, please email admin@charltonlife.com

On the flip side, this site has never been more popular in terms of views, visitors and comments, so perhaps things aren't as bad as made out.

As I've also said before, you do have to have a certain element of a thick skin with these sort of things. With the amount of people posting, you are going to get a complete cross range, from teens to pensioners, and people from all different walks of life, with different humour. You do have to learn to read what you want, and ignore those you have little time for.
  • Options
    Some sites has a "block this poster" facility - would be worth passing this up the line to the guys who runs these platforms?
  • Options
    I think those aware if the effort put in by the mods very much appreciate the efforts made to make the site fun for all. But there is only so much you can do!

Twitter certainly has, but I don't think Facebook has changed posting for the worse. If anything, comment sections on websites that use FB log ins tend to be more toned down than, in particular, YouTube. FB doesn't allow anonymity, which reduces abuse. If we were forced to sign in using our real names and addresses I'm sure there's be less abuse!!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Some people seem to take things very personally: if you should disagree with their views or opinions they take it as a personal attack on themselves and retaliate accordingly rather than continuing to argue whatever point they were making. Others then re-act and it becomes a slanging match. It doesn't help that more than ever these days no-one is ever wrong, or if they are they won't admit it (just like footballers and referees).
  • Options
    I am a fairly new member, and I enjoy both reading the views of others and leaving an occasional post of my own. Mostly. the posters on here seem to be fair-minded, insightful and good humoured, a good reflection of the kind of people and atmosphere I experience at Charlton matches. There are a very few idiots (again, just like at matches) but best just to ignore them and focus on the sensible majority.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012

No you are not alone, I completely agree with your remarks. CL is a victim of it's own success but also the lack of football and lack of transfer news has IMO resulted in a frustration amongst many supporters which has manifested itself in more aggressive threads and comments. I can't see that there is anything that can be done about it except for us all to remain with CL and hope "normal service" is resumed when the season kicks off. If those of us that agree with Glosfan leave the site then it will create a vacuum that might be filled with more aggressive behaviour, so stick with CL and look forward to the new season.

Agree with this. Close season is always worse but this year even with the Euros it's been bad. Maybe also a sign of the times in that there's less respect or consideration for others about in society, full stop.

Also think we have had a change in demographic and have more younger posters who are happier with the more confrontational approach that twitter fosters (I can't remember the survey results and this is a generalisation of course)...plus we have seriously slid back in the swearing tolerance.
  • Options
    It's always the young 'uns.........
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

It's always the young 'uns.........

I blame the parents.
  • Options
    I'll refer to my earlier post, Its not cricket.................. i.e. its football and football fans have always been into banter agressive or otherwise. I feel the the oversensitive among us need to accept that one persons level of acceptibility will always differ from the next. Freedom of speech is what this country has always been proud of and although that has been eroded to some extent in public, at least a football forum should hold some kind of sanctuary. We're not talking threatening behaviour here!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    An interesting thread with some good points made.

One observation I would make is that a number of people have posted for many years here and elsewhere on places like Netaddicks before that.

As a consequence what might seem aggressive to the casual, unfamiliar observer is just a frank exchange of views between the participants. Off_it and I, to quote one example, are partial to the odd spat from time to time but there's nothing in it and it may, on occasion, be alcoholically induced!

Another observation is that some are just naturally confrontational in style
  • Options

It shouldn't stop anyone posting of someone is being a dick head tell them and crack on

Telling some one they are a "dickhead" is at best impolite and in most people eyes is fighting talk. What would happen if you called a stranger in a pub a dickhead? Try it and let us know.

The same standards should apply on a forum as apply when meeting some-one face to face.

• Options
    Who called who a dhead?
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Telling some one they are a "dickhead" is at best impolite and in most people eyes is fighting talk. What would happen if you called a stranger in a pub a dickhead? Try it and let us know.

The same standards should apply on a forum as apply when meeting some-one face to face.

problem is this is the internet and so people think they can get away with being brave.

• Options
    I have noticed that when some people ( me included ) post anything controversial it is met with very strong response bordering on abusive. However, when other people post in agreement their post is received differently. I refer to the recent Ian Tomlinson post. That said, I have been guilty of posting just for a reaction which I think needs to stop. The amount of intelligent and honest debate on here is amazing, and I am always impressed with how much people know and understand about the world around us. In fact, I have to say that I have changed my mind on a few subjects having read some of the responses on here.
  • Options

It may not be achievable, but I agree with this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am not surprised this has raised such unrest . Resorting to abuse shows not only a lack of class but an inherent lack of intelligence . It is easy to abuse someone you do not really know but if you need to resort to such measures to win an argument then your argument probably doesn't hold up in the first place !!!
  • Options
    See thats the problem on here

read the post i said if someone is being a dick head then tell them that they are acting like a dick head and continue posting

dont let people who are on a forum stop you

The over reaction to comments is amazing on here just ignotre them and move on why let it bother your life
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Totally agree with the Original Poster.

`Banter'...I absolutely detest the word. Lets face reality...it's cheap, poor quality, low level abuse dressed up as something else.
  • Options
    masicat said:

I have noticed that when some people ( me included ) post anything controversial it is met with very strong response bordering on abusive. However, when other people post in agreement their post is received differently. I refer to the recent Ian Tomlinson post. That said, I have been guilty of posting just for a reaction which I think needs to stop. The amount of intelligent and honest debate on here is amazing, and I am always impressed with how much people know and understand about the world around us. In fact, I have to say that I have changed my mind on a few subjects having read some of the responses on here.

This, on the Ian Tomlinson thread for example if you had a different point of view from the rest people treated you like a Alien from mars.
  • Options
    This forum is not like other forums and the vast majority want to keep it that way. Unfortunately, some don't seem to get that, and others venture on here and post the same kind of idiotic and abusive stuff that seems the norm elsewhere. They usually don't last long.

Admin are doing all they can, i.e is someone is acting in this way they warn and then ban them. Unfortunately, there's little more that can be done. Overall, this forum is still vastly different from other Charlton ones out there and this becomes obvious to even the densest numbskull who comes on here and starts posting inappropriate rubbish - they usually don't like it anyway and naff off elsewhere!

So persevere and have faith, things will get better...as others have said, the summer makes things worse. Be comforted that many feel the same way as you and most probably form the silent majority on this site. If you look at the big picture, this is by far the most civilised outpost of Charlton banter anywhere on the net and will continue to be so. Class always tells in the end!
  • Options
    Thanks for people's comments, it's somewhat reassuring that this thread about abuse has not descended into...well...abuse. I think the majority on here are happy to discuss and debate with reasoned argument, maybe its just spoilt by the few who, when their argument is a bit thin, resort to abuse. my original post was in no way a criticism of the moderators of this site, I will always read it, and am grateful for the work they do. I'm certainly not over sensitive, don't mind people disgreeing with me, but personally would be put off posting if I was being called a dickhead etc, just for voicing an opinion. There is a difference between honest disagreement and abuse, and I think that sadly some posters step over that line quite readily. But not on this thread....yet :)
  • Options
    It's just exaggerated sarcasm.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

It's just exaggerated sarcasm.

Which isn't really necessary.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I find it informative and entertaining as well.

Entertaining because some people cant take banter
    Entertaining because so many people feel the need to stick there beak in where it isnt needed
    Entertaining because no one is allowed to hint out there 'sauce'

• Options
    edited July 2012
    'hint out there sauce'?

I'm partial to a bit of HP...

;-)