Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ant nest patches on lawn

edited July 2012 in Not Sports Related
After mowing the lawn on Saturday, there are an increasing number of ants nest patches on my lawn leaving bare loose earth.
What is the best way to to get rid off ?

Over to all you Percy's and Monty's

Comments

• very large can of petrol
  • I have the same problem and await sensible replies with interest (wonder if there'll be any).
  • Have a read of this mate - http://voices.yahoo.com/get-rid-ants-lawn-coffee-living-green-6834714.html.

Been meaning to try it myself as they seem to have nested under on of my plant pots and a weekly kettle of boiling water doesn't seem to be doing much.
  • Depends what type of ants you have, but Nipon is the best shop-bought ant treatment and will kill off most types of ant.
  • You can kill the ants with propriety insecticides and then reseed/returf. Or live with it, they are fascinating critturs really.
  • Boiling water in the whole. He the same problem apparently it's the weather.
  • Same problem had 5 or 6. Just used Ant powder seems to have done the trick and no lasting damage
  • Same problem had 5 or 6. Just used Ant powder seems to have done the trick and no lasting damage

The ants disagree!

• edited July 2012
    Cucumber skin/water.....ants hate it
  • Sponsored links:

• got loads from and back poxy red ants
  • iainment said:

Same problem had 5 or 6. Just used Ant powder seems to have done the trick and no lasting damage

The ants disagree!

Must admit i didn't ask the ants, but the lawn looks good and you can sit on it
  • A seven-year-old and a magnifying glass.
  • I did wonder what the bare patches appearing on my lawn were, will look more closely now.
  • Ants are really interesting. I didn't realise how often they burst into flames until I looked at them under a magnifying glass!
  • Cheers, will try some of that Nippon stuff.
  • I'll get the wife to have a read of this...she has the green fingers in our house, me I'm just the labourer.
  • Dig round the nest with a spade lift turf up put ant powder into nest replace turf back down should do the trick
  • I don't really get the whole perfect lawn thing, garden full of flowers and veg and a lawn that me and my son can just about play badminton on, happy to share with ants.
  • Napalm will do the trick.
  • Sponsored links:

• CL has all the answers! Was just about to trawl through net for answers about this. Brilliant, thanks.
  • edited July 2012
    I found a bee nest in my lawn the other day. Didn't know they did that
  • McBobbin said:

I found a bee nest in my lawn the other day. Didn't know they did that

Wasps also regularly nest underground, its a good idea to check before mowing the lawn etc. I work in pest control and have only dealt with one wasp/hornet nest so far this summer. Last year I was busy with them from mid may through to november.
  • You could just leave them alone to go about their anty business, ya big bully!
  • block paving
  • your lucky we have these big maroon f++kers in our garden and the bastards sting. Supposed tobe an endangered species --------and they should be as well! something to do with the fruit trees and fomic acid --nasty bastards.
  • Invite all the kids in the street round for a game of footie everyday thru the summer hols, by september the whole garden should be bald and they won't notice!
  • Invite all the kids in the street round for a game of footie everyday thru the summer hols, by september the whole garden should be bald and they won't notice!

Tried that last year and offered them food and drink.
    One court injunction later.....

• Beckboy said:

Dig round the nest with a spade lift turf up put ant powder into nest replace turf back down should do the trick

Sounds like hard work....especially when you have loads of ants nests...job for the wife.

• smear yourself with honey, then roll up and down the garden. You'll pick up all the ants, a bit like an anteaters tongue. Then you can carefully pick them out with tweezers and safely release them into the wild. An eco-friendly solution.