Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Super-yachts

edited July 2012 in Not Sports Related
Went out at lunch round the office and spotted (well it wasn't hard to) the yachts that have been moored up there. They're absolutely unbelivable, 'The Octopus' is owned by Paul Allen co-founder of Microsoft and the smaller one is owned by the family behind Westfield shopping centre.

Well worth going to have a look if you work round that way especially if Romans one turns up in the next couple of days!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2177211/London-2012-The-Olympic-super-yachts-arrive-Thames.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Comments

• Lovely. A shining example of exactly what is wrong with the world.
  • edited July 2012
    The people the build them, supply the components, work on them and on board them and work at the quaysides may disagree with you.
  • I'd be happy with a canoe. Simple tastes me.
  • So that makes the fact that some tool has 300 million quid to waste on them (despite paying about 0.5% tax wherever they're domiciled) OK then?
  • The Octopus was moored in the harbor in Dubrovnik when I was out there in June. Was wondering who it belonged to.
  • Yes, but he'll be able to use the immortal line "would you like to come on my boat" Well worth £300m in my book!
  • Dave, I've come to the conclusion you exist in your own world of deviancy ; )
  • Pretty sure I saw the octopus in maga a year ago, always wondered who it belonged to, saw a heli on it.

Minutes later Basshunter went past on a JetSki..
  • MattD said:

Pretty sure I saw the octopus in maga a year ago, always wondered who it belonged to, saw a heli on it.

...as you floated by on your lilo....
  • So that makes the fact that some tool has 300 million quid to waste on them (despite paying about 0.5% tax wherever they're domiciled) OK then?

Why not check Paul Allen's Wiki page to see what he's donated to charity before you start slagging him off eh?

• Sponsored links:

• the gravesend 'riviera' is also awash with the good and great for the olympics too, its the place to be i tell thee!?
  • Saw this one up close in Gun Wharf Quays, Portsmouth recently. Owned by one of the men who started NCP car parks I was told. The pictures don't do it justice...it was absolutely stunning.

myleander.co.uk/
  • bloodnut said:

the gravesend 'riviera' is also awash with the good and great for the olympics too, its the place to be i tell thee!?

The 'Orangina' i think that one is.

• JT said:

bloodnut said:

the gravesend 'riviera' is also awash with the good and great for the olympics too, its the place to be i tell thee!?

The 'Orangina' i think that one is.

i did see buckets of crushed ice with the good stuff cooling in them on the side yea!
  • Addickted said:

So that makes the fact that some tool has 300 million quid to waste on them (despite paying about 0.5% tax wherever they're domiciled) OK then?

Why not check Paul Allen's Wiki page to see what he's donated to charity before you start slagging him off eh?

Why not check this out to see just how philanthropical he really is: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9IQCL180.htm
  • Quite hard to have a go at him really Leroy. Yes me may have voted against a new income tax law, and who wouldnt, but lets be honest he clearly pays a bucket load of tax, and his charity donations are staggering.

The following 2 lines are taken from his wiki profile:

A report in February, 2012, named Allen as the most charitable living American in 2011. Allen's donations, totaling $372.6 million, were beat out by only two others, both of them are deceased.
    In March 2012 he continued the funding of the Allen Institute for Brain Science with a contribution of $300 million to look at how we see.

• bloodnut said:

The Gravesend Riviera, love it!!!
  • Even if I were a multi millionaire I would not buy a yacht. If I fancied a week in the West Indies, and my yacht was moored in Jakarta what good is that? I would just hire one where I wanted to be.
  • Even if I were a multi millionaire I would not buy a yacht. If I fancied a week in the West Indies, and my yacht was moored in Jakarta what good is that? I would just hire one where I wanted to be.

This....and the fact that I get chronic seasickness would probably spoil my poise wehn entertaining
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2012
  • thats better
    pasy.jpg 179.5K

Hahaha well with insight like that I don't think it's ever going to be a problem you'll face ;P

Mooring a luxury yacht in Jakarta is something I would not recommend!

• MattD said:

Pretty sure I saw the octopus in maga a year ago, always wondered who it belonged to, saw a heli on it.

...as you floated by on your lilo....
    Booze Cruise

Hahaha well with insight like that I don't think it's ever going to be a problem you'll face ;P

I think you mean foresight? :-)

• edited July 2012
    Going up in the world.

From train spotting to yacht spotting...
  • http://en.wikicollecting.org/paul-allens-jimi-hendrix-memorabilia-collection
    I cannot really slag off Paul Allen as the guy is a big Hendrix fan, co founded the SEMP in Seattle for music, and paid the outrageous price of $1.3 million for Hendrix's white strat that he played at Woodstock, to then announce they were just tools of the trade, I think Hendrix himself would have laughed at the idea of anybody attaching a figure like that. I have heard that he does a lot of good work behind the scenes, especially in regard to education. I suppose he is as free to spend his money on toys like this, there seems to be a lot more out there who do nothing for anyone.
  • Massive German cruise liner there today, now that's something to have the hump about.