Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth Troubles

edited July 2012 in General Charlton
Any players in the Pompey team still at the club our fans may fancy going in for?

Comments

• Options
    NO, but The guy that constantly plays the bell in the stands. Sign him up
  • Options
    Looks like Luke Varney is going to Leeds Utd according to BBc site.
  • Options
    Ben Haim on 36k a week apparently.
  • Options
    SINK!
  • Options

Ben Haim on 36k a week apparently.

Looks like lesson were not learnt from previous flirtation with going bust. 36k a week? Previously Sol Campbell was on 100k a week.
  • Options
    I hope we NEVER get into this position , i'd be gutted if Charlton went bust.
  • Options
    Been there already, Mendonca.

1984 and all that.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    True , i was too young too realise fully what was going on at the time , plus we didn't have t'internet.
  • Options
    There is no hope left for Portsmouth - I've just read that 'arry wants to help them out!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Been there already, Mendonca.

1984 and all that.

Eh?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think he was talking about George Orwell , Beds :-0
  • Options
    I think it is a disgrace it is down to Ben Haim and Kanu who refused to compromise on their wages. They obviously got no concern apart from themselves. I really hope they get what they deserve.
  • Options

True , i was too young too realise fully what was going on at the time , plus we didn't have t'internet.

No sky sports news, no net, no smartphones and no mobile texting back then. Just waiting for bulletins on the radio back then or maybe if you was lucky to have a teletext tv maybe hope that would get updated!
  • Options
    Talk about the dark ages Addickfc81!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    DiscoCAFC said:

I think it is a disgrace it is down to Ben Haim and Kanu who refused to compromise on their wages. They obviously got no concern apart from themselves. I really hope they get what they deserve.

been hearing that a lot lately and I have to say I think people who think like that are very niave in my opinion. It's not Ben haim's fault he was offered that sort of money. His contract states that is what he is entitled to. If he doesn't get that money then Portsmouth are in breach of his contract. I accept that accepting a wage cut would be a gesture of good will but he is not legally obliged to do so. It is not his fault Portsmouth can no longer pay him the agreed amount, it is the fault of the mug who agreed to pay him that much in the 1st place!!!!
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

been hearing that a lot lately and I have to say I think people who think like that are very niave in my opinion. It's not Ben haim's fault he was offered that sort of money. His contract states that is what he is entitled to. If he doesn't get that money then Portsmouth are in breach of his contract. I accept that accepting a wage cut would be a gesture of good will but he is not legally obliged to do so. It is not his fault Portsmouth can no longer pay him the agreed amount, it is the fault of the mug who agreed to pay him that much in the 1st place!!!!
    Spot on.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I agree it is down to these people who decided to pay them these wages but the fact is Chrissy, if Portsmouth went out into liquidation Ben Haim and Kanu would not recieve a penny so they would be losing more money than what they hoped for.

I can imagine like the supporters, have every right to be angry, they are as much a victim of the incompetence that has left the club teetering on the brink of as anyone but this is the future of the club they are talking about. If they are not prepared to sacrifice some part of their wages that we all dream to have then there is something wrong and I hope they don't play for Charlton.

Look at Plymouth, the players were struggling to earn a living as they sacrificed their own wages to keep Plymouth running. They deserve full credit and they were one of the reasons why Plymouth did not go into Liquidation.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Look at Plymouth, the players were struggling to earn a living as they sacrificed their own wages to keep Plymouth running. They deserve full credit and they were one of the reasons why Plymouth did not go into Liquidation.

Yes and Peter Reid forego his wages and did he not also sell at least one football medal to help Plymouth.
    As a measure of their gratitude, they sacked him some months later.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Spot on.

And who knows these two players could be locked into a financial arrangement (ie a mortgage) and cannot forego what is owing to them. Would you forego a number of salary payments and run the risk of being bankrupted yourself?!
  • Options

I hope we NEVER get into this position , i'd be gutted if Charlton went bust.

Well there is a recently formed group who are trying to give you a say in how the clubs run...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As has been said it is the people who offered the money to the players who are at fault.If you went for a job interview and you were looking for 40K and they offered you 50k you would take it.If that Company went into Administration and they asked you to take a huge pay cut would you take it?That happened to me and the Administrators had to offer the remaining staff a percentage rise and a bonus to keep them there to wind up the Company.By the way the Administrators take a huge fee,so perhaps we shouldn't be so hard on the players.
  • Options
    Administrators are evil vultures!
  • Options
    So should they work for free?
  • Options

They are just doing a job.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

The fact of the matter is Disco they are employees of a company that decided to pay them this sort of money via a signed contract. They are not fans of Portsmouth, all this kissing the badge that players do is a load of spin, most of them could not give a toss what happens so long as they pick up their wages, much like a lot of employees in other business's.

• Options
    I though Ben Haim came out of it very well, not that folk will bother to actually consider the facts before throwing their opinions around.

He's written off £2.5M to help the club.
    The administrator demanded more
    He agreed he would, if the administrator wrote off some of his £650k fee, which they've not so far responded to as far as I know.
  • Options

Based on what exactly? I assume in the same vein as banks are evil for calling in their facilities?
  • Options
    Their fees are mega why should the staff write off the terms of their contracts when the administrators wont wave any of their fees! Yes ive been turned for over by a administrator good and proper mugged into working a month technally for free to try and help also losing 3 months money only to find their fee ran into tens of thousands!
  • Options
    I used to work for Kaupthing and the Company went into administration.I was privy to the fees charged by the Administrators and they were truly mind boggling.
  • Options
    Varney's gone to Leeds.
    Norris looks like he's going to Leeds.
    Halford looks like he's going to Forest.

Would the last man leaving the building please turn the lights out.