Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth Troubles

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dodgy deals were being done to sell me and my machines to another local rival company behind the scenes ! They got the machines though but not me ! Wouldnt piss on then if they were on fire! Like i said vultures.
  • Options
    Guess wot the directors turned up on the board of the rival company just to rub salt into the wound!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    The one thing that bothers me is that we and Pompey are very similar clubs in terms of our history (both on and off the pitch) and have mirrored one another in quite an extraordinary way over the years........I'm just hoping that this similarity is not set to continue!
  • Options
    they won the cup recently so nit the history bit mate lol
  • Options
    I wonder if they will still be around in 50 years to hold a celebration marking 50 years without winning the cup. What club would do that ffs ! Did anyone gotonthe Cafe Royal. I ended up in the bar with a very pissed Theo Foley !
  • Options
    lol quality
  • Options

Varney's gone to Leeds.
    Norris looks like he's going to Leeds.
    Halford looks like he's going to Forest.

Would the last man leaving the building please turn the lights out.

Kanu and Ben Haim will be the most difficult to shift

• Options
    I see Trevor Birch is the Administrator. He scored against us once at The Valley.
  • Options

Their fees are mega why should the staff write off the terms of their contracts when the administrators wont wave any of their fees! Yes ive been turned for over by a administrator good and proper mugged into working a month technally for free to try and help also losing 3 months money only to find their fee ran into tens of thousands!

I understand what you are saying and I don't doubt that their fees are very high. But waiving their fees would set a very bad precedent for the administrators.

After all, behind every failing company, there are very sad stories of people who will be left out of pocket. Should they waive their fees for every company? They are not a voluntary service, this is how they make their living.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    StevieK said:

Their fees are mega why should the staff write off the terms of their contracts when the administrators wont wave any of their fees! Yes ive been turned for over by a administrator good and proper mugged into working a month technally for free to try and help also losing 3 months money only to find their fee ran into tens of thousands!

I understand what you are saying and I don't doubt that their fees are very high. But waiving their fees would set a very bad precedent for the administrators.

After all, behind every failing company, there are very sad stories of people who will be left out of pocket. Should they waive their fees for every company? They are not a voluntary service, this is how they make their living.
    The same could be said for the players. If Portsmouth wanted to keep any of the players they would be forced to stay, even if they wanted to move. That is what a contract does. It protects both parties unless one of them decides to waive their contractually guaranteed terms.

If these players agree to waive their salaries that could set a precedent that when ever a club gets into trouble the players would be expected to sacrifice to 'bail out' the mismanagement of the club.

Maybe Portsmouth will not be able to go on another spending spree but let's not forget that they went into Administration the last time, knocked something 80% of what they owed, agree to pay the remaining 20% over five years and as soon as the ink was dry they went on to sign more players on silly money.

I'm not ashamed to say that if I was a footballer contracted to Portsmouth I would demand all of the money my contract guaranteed me. Clearly I would leave if I got offered something better elsewhere (not necessarily more money, a higher division etc.) but I wouldn't let those that had mismanaged the club for so long blackmail me into paying for their mistakes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It wasnt the high fees that bothered me just the way i was sold out!
  • Options
    In essence the administrator is saying to Ben Haim: "take a hit" and he is fairly saying "ok, after you!" and why not?
  • Options

I'm not ashamed to say that if I was a footballer contracted to Portsmouth I would demand all of the money my contract guaranteed me. Clearly I would leave if I got offered something better elsewhere (not necessarily more money, a higher division etc.) but I wouldn't let those that had mismanaged the club for so long blackmail me into paying for their mistakes.

I'm with you 100% on that one. As much as I think that ridiculous player wages are one of the biggest problems in football, it's not the fault of the individual players. Who's to say that if they waived their contracts new money wouldn't buy the club soon after anyway. That seems to be the pattern with a lot of clubs: The owners' run up huge debts and then sell on to someone someone else whose first job is to clear up the mess, before the whole cycle starts again.
  • Options

The one thing that bothers me is that we and Pompey are very similar clubs in terms of our history (both on and off the pitch) and have mirrored one another in quite an extraordinary way over the years........I'm just hoping that this similarity is not set to continue!

Portsmouth have won the league and FA Cup twice and played in Europe. And have never been kicked out of their home.

• Options
    Bunny said:

Portsmouth have won the league and FA Cup twice and played in Europe. And have never been kicked out of their home.

The one they won with taxpayers money doesn't count. And you need to add the word "yet" after "home"

They are the club most like us and the team we have played most often.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Bunny said:

Well yes that's all true, but there have also been quite a lot of similarities in our league standings and movement up and down the leagues etc.......not neccessarily at the same moment in time I'll grant you but we do seem quite often to have things happen to us that then happen to them and visa versa.
    We are very similar from many peoples point of view, especially amongst the older generation I guess........ who go back a long way with us and Pompey.

I have something of a soft spot for them as a matter of fact.
  • Options

In essence the administrator is saying to Ben Haim: "take a hit" and he is fairly saying "ok, after you!" and why not?

Because administrators deserve remuneration for realising what value they can for creditors?

The real bad guys here are the "money men" who put the club and its fans in this position.

• Options
    Exactly - after Portsmouth, Ben Haim will, almost certainly, not move to a new company that is also going bust (and so where those involved would, very understandably, ask him to take an un-contracted pay cut). The administrator will.

And just because it is some local shop or widget factory, and not a high-profile football club, the need of those involved will not be any less at all - indeed it might be much more than the players at Portsmouth (although I absolutely accept that not everyone who works for a football club is moneybags player).
  • Options

Bunny said:

Well yes that's all true, but there have also been quite a lot of similarities in our league standings and movement up and down the leagues etc.......not neccessarily at the same moment in time I'll grant you but we do seem quite often to have things happen to us that then happen to them and visa versa.
    We are very similar from many peoples point of view, especially amongst the older generation I guess........ who go back a long way with us and Pompey.

I have something of a soft spot for them as a matter of fact.
    I guess that makes sense. Funny enough I was writing a piece for The Lion Roars once, about Millwall's historical place in football...basically a yo-yo club between the 2nd and 3rd tiers...and was looking at what the next step up was - that is to say an established 2nd tier club, that sometimes flirts with the big time...and Charlton and Portsmouth both fitted that example perfectly. I looked at both clubs' histories and it confirmed it - two very solid second tier football clubs, but with brief flirts with the top flight. Both have spent very long consecutive periods in the 2nd tier.

So, yeah, it was Portsmouth and Charlton I used. So make you right.

I think ours would probably be someone like Bristol City, maybe Watford post 1975. I'll try and research it.

• Options
    Middlesborough is another club like us who we have played more often than most. But I don't think they ever won the cup
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Middlesborough is another club like us who we have played more often than most. But I don't think they ever won the cup

Played in Europe too, which though we never done we came very close twice, when we finished 7th and when we were top of fair play, and the Arsenal goalkeeper that got sent off in the CL Final ruined the coefficient iirc.

• Options

For quite a while Middlesborough held the unwanted record of being the only top flight club without a trophy. Then they spoilt it all in 2004 by winning the league cup.