Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Countdown / Opening Ceremony thread

Comments

• Options
    Had a charity fundraiser in the bar last night, so only saw a few snippets at the time. Recorded it and have watched the first 25 minutes so far. Absolutely fantastic from what I have seen. Quite stunningly original.
  • Options
    Fantastic

I always struggle to describe what modern Britain and its people are about, I thought Danny Boyle captured it brilliantly.

Very very proud of it, and can't wait to be there now.

Went for beers with a good American mate beforehand. Hi only complaint after the show was "what, no Clash? Disgrace!" But then he has lived here for 20 years and speaks a foreign language....
  • Options
    Just logged & playing catch up after arriving home at 4am after the OC.

Went to the Stadium via Chiswick where we collected our 88 yr old friend in a wheelchair who lives in Long Beach, CA and who purchased our tickets from the UA Olympic Assoc ( daren't ask how much they cost !!) Late finish for us was mainly due to returning her back to her hotel before driving back to Dartford. Margaret is English , married an American teacher & settled in LA in 1940's - she attended the 1948 Games when living in London and then the '84's where we met her so she was determined to make this big event, although she is now pretty frail.

Certainly grateful for having the opportunity to witness this spectacle first hand although as others have stated, it's the sport that I look forward to most. However, it was indeed a great experience, if a tad too long IMHO with the inclusion of numerous countries parading their flags that most present had never heard of. The first part of the evening was the most memorable for me - those clouds being "floated" around the perimeters entered the arena around 90 mins before the event started leaving those involved with seriously aching arms! The carthorse duly performed his piece de resistance by leaving his mark on the track as he plodded up to his "field" - " shit happens" as the American guy next to me said ...And the transformation of the area from blissfully peaceful rural scenes to those of industry was fantastic.

Also loved the NHS piece , the fictional characters larger than "life" ( esp the descent of the Mary Poppins!) and the humourous cameo roles of Rowan A & Daniel C - which the many Americans around us also appreciated. The modern segment , however left me wanting and felt that the 60's/70's etc could have been portrayed more pleasingly - the 3D glasses we were given didn't help either. But that's just my opinion.

Then there was the entry of the gladiators....What surprised me most was the way in which the majority were received by the audience - with a sense of anti climax and scant applause . Obviously, Usain Bolt was the most recognised flag bearer and was duly cheered by one & all, and the Aussies, French, Canadians etc had many allies making a fair bit of noise . As expected, the thousands of Americans went ballistic when their team brought up the rear and finally, our lovely lads & lasses although I have to agree that their uniform design left a lot to be desired.....Lovely to see a beaming Chris Hoy proudly leading them out.

Then , the entry of the flame held aloft by Sir Steve as we guessed it would be. Not totally sure I agreed with the honour of lighting the cauldron being given to the youngsters - I prefer the "classical" age old way of doing it and was one element that disappointed me somewhat ( there are some things you just don't "update" IMHO) But the ignition of the cauldron itself was breathtaking - I did wonder whether how the track & field athletes would cope around it in upcoming competition !!

So, a great experience was enjoyed and to Margaret we are truly grateful for giving us this opportunity. What did strike me was the friendliness of visitors from abroad as we entered the Olympic Park and found our seats...Brazilians, Spaniards, Japanese folk among many others wanted to have their photos taken with Margaret in her wheelchair and were astounded to hear that she was returning to the Games 64 years after her first London experience. Even met a lady in the food queue who lives in Greenwich next door to an Addick and said she can tell how the team has fared by his demeanour on a Saturday evening ! We know the feeling !

And now the REAL Games begin & like millions around the world I shall be glued to the TV whilst the laundry and dust pile up around me Miss Havisham style. Let's hope that Team GB rises to the occasion and brings us a record number of medals but most of all, let's hope that activities both on & off the "field" bring nations together in peace, respect & love as only spoort is able to do.

• Options
    nice write up of your experiences there fanny , thanks for sharing

go back to bed now you must be shattered or put the matchsticks in and watch the swimming !
  • Options
    masicat said:

Let the yanks go to Disneyland. No country in the world could top that.

Exactly, couldn't give a toss what the thick as pig shit yanks think, it was fantastic. Agree that macca's voice not 100% but come on, it's a Beatle singing Beatle songs ffs!
  • Options
    Thanks FF, really enjoyed reading that
  • Options
    I was very impressed with it. Could only have been improved if a reanimated Freddie mercury rose from the middle of the torch alongside jimmy page. Page playing a flaming electric guitar and mercury waving the union flag
  • Options
    I liked the idea of young athletes lighting the cauldron - they are the future and will hopefully go on to emulate some of our star Olympians.

With regard to the time taken for the athletes to enter the stadium, we should remember that it is all about them and without them we would have no games. It wouldn't be right to omit this part of the opening ceremony, however long it takes; each nation has a right to parade no matter how small they are.
  • Options
    The man above is right, it takes time but Olympics are all about the competitors.

I liked the geography lesson being given too!
  • Options
    Actually Carter I'm not a man!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In China there have been TV programmes about Britain, aspects of our country and sport etc in the build up. During the Chinese commentary they were full of praise, no critical comments apparently, and no comparisons to their own ceremony. They were highly praiseworthy that such a little (!) country could do so well and hold such a games and ceremony, they were impressed by the historical aspects, and also realised what a rich and crowded history we have, and how much we have influenced the world.
    In particular they loved the NHS stuff! mentioning how so few countries have a national health service, how good it is, how good that they try to have such a service too, and they commented that they ought to learn from the way Britain has its NHS. Quite a contrast to the reported comment from an American earlier in this thread. (like a ceremony done by medicare..dreary etc).
    I may be wrong, but I also thought that China were the first country marching in that paired their own flag with the Union Jack...certainly many athletes from many countries did that too.
    Not supposed to be a post in praise of China, but cheers me up that we have made such a good impression there.
  • Options
    Good article there WSS
  • Options
    Japan caried their own flag plus the union flag which I thought was a nice touch. Not sure if China did.
  • Options

Japan caried their own flag plus the union flag which I thought was a nice touch. Not sure if China did.

I meant lots of the individual athletes.

• Options
    Not sure I noticed that Seth but I was focussing on the women ;0
  • Options
    seth plum said:

In China there have been TV programmes about Britain, aspects of our country and sport etc in the build up. During the Chinese commentary they were full of praise, no critical comments apparently, and no comparisons to their own ceremony. They were highly praiseworthy that such a little (!) country could do so well and hold such a games and ceremony, they were impressed by the historical aspects, and also realised what a rich and crowded history we have, and how much we have influenced the world.
    In particular they loved the NHS stuff! mentioning how so few countries have a national health service, how good it is, how good that they try to have such a service too, and they commented that they ought to learn from the way Britain has its NHS. Quite a contrast to the reported comment from an American earlier in this thread. (like a ceremony done by medicare..dreary etc).
    I may be wrong, but I also thought that China were the first country marching in that paired their own flag with the Union Jack...certainly many athletes from many countries did that too.
    Not supposed to be a post in praise of China, but cheers me up that we have made such a good impression there.

Funny how different nationalities see things..
    http://sg.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/olympic-cauldron-lit-seven-british-youngsters-233853937--oly.html
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Good article there WSS

Yes, it is.

• Options
    BDLBDL
    edited July 2012
    Have never been prouder to be British than I am at this moment in time.

Danny Boyle managed to capture what makes us the nation we are. The ceremony was self deprecating, self confident. It spoke about where we came from and where we are going. It quietly told the world what we have done, how much our collective culture has influenced the planet. It said to the world that Britain has Always been a multicultural country, that we celebrate our diversity by putting it at the heart of our culture.

From Elgar's Nimrod to Underworld's pumping beat introducing the athletes, our music showed the way. I cried tears when Emile Sande sung Abide with Me, how crass of NBC to cut this from their broadcast.

The lighting of the cauldron backed up all the promises that were made seven years ago, promises to inspire a generation. I am so proud that we chose this way, it was different, it made us unique.

We've welcomed the world to our country in the only way we could, in that quirky, eccentric, mad but wonderfully British way.
  • Options
    Apparently the coverage in the US was shocking, NBC have the rights and they showed the opening ceremony after it had finished so they could pick and choose the bits they wanted to show. Apart from the constant talking throughout they cut out the tribute to the victims of 7/7 to show an interview with Phelps, imagine the uproar if we had cut there tribute to 9/11?.. IDIOTS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

Apparently the coverage in the US was shocking, NBC have the rights and they showed the opening ceremony after it had finished so they could pick and choose the bits they wanted to show. Apart from the constant talking throughout they cut out the tribute to the victims of 7/7 to show an interview with Phelps, imagine the uproar if we had cut there tribute to 9/11?.. IDIOTS

That's it. I am officially booing every one of their athletes.
  • Options
    I heard, and I'm not sure if it is true, that they didn't have a clue who Sir Tim Berners-Lee was.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I heard, and I'm not sure if it is true, that they didn't have a clue who Sir Tim Berners-Lee was.

And I quote the american commentator "google him"
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Used to live in the States and was there when the Sydney Olympics was on, this doesn't surprise me if it ain't USA they ain't interested simple as that.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

seth plum said:

No...that was a layer of deep humour, subtlety, and irony from the Americ....doh!

• Options
    I thought most of the feeling around the world was quite positive. You're not going to be able to please all the people all of the time and,dare I say it - we do have some that are quite touchy to any criticism
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

seth plum said:

Hollywood hasn't made a film about him therefore it's unfair to expect Americans to know him as that's where they get all their History facts from.
  • Options
    Strange comments...

Former Labour deputy leader Roy Hattersley, The Times:
    "Presumably he hoped to capture the ethos of the whole host nation. But it is hard to feel romantic, or even sentimental, about anything as amorphous as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. And it is near impossible to identify characteristics that are common to the Cotswolds and the Gorbals, the Falls Road and the Brecon Beacons without taking refuge in references to 'this happy breed' — a bogus description of the English written by Shakespeare before the kingdoms were united."
  • Options
    That's the spirit, Roy.
  • Options

Strange comments...

Former Labour deputy leader Roy Hattersley, The Times:
    "Presumably he hoped to capture the ethos of the whole host nation. But it is hard to feel romantic, or even sentimental, about anything as amorphous as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. And it is near impossible to identify characteristics that are common to the Cotswolds and the Gorbals, the Falls Road and the Brecon Beacons without taking refuge in references to 'this happy breed' — a bogus description of the English written by Shakespeare before the kingdoms were united."

Classic style over substance.