Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ye Shiwen

13»

Comments

• Options
    Maybe she can swim so fast due to the work ethic in China dwarfing anything in any western country.

An average high school kid starts at 7am and finishes at around 10pm. Now just imagine what their star athletes have to go through.
  • Options
    They even make them post their entries twice when on the internet, so imagine how they train.
  • Options
    Katie Ledecky tonight won the 800 metres freestyle (beating, alas, Rebecca Adlington) at just 15 years of age. She said she had shaved 20 seconds off her time in the last year so can we now expect the Americans to question her progress? Ah, perhaps not, because she is American. These games have shown how althletes can improve their personal best times so unless and until there is evidence to show they have cheated, I will just enjoy their successes.

ps I am a bit concerned about Stu's reference in his first post to 'the work ethic in China dwarfs'. Don't the taller Chinese have the same work ethic??:-)
  • Options
    Surly there will come a time when it will become humanly impossible to seconds off records. If we carry on at this rate the event will have finished before its begun.
    As for Ye Shiwen, her achievement has been tainted by her countries past activities with doping.
  • Options
    If I were the Chinese I'd politely be enquiring how when their swimmer knocks 5s off her time over a 2 year period its due to doping,but when an American girl knocks 20s off her time in 10 months no questions are asked.
  • Options
    Adlington must be on drugs to only get bronze.
  • Options

Surly there will come a time when it will become humanly impossible to seconds off records. If we carry on at this rate the event will have finished before its begun.
    As for Ye Shiwen, her achievement has been tainted by her countries past activities with doping.

Check out Americas past activities with doping.

• Options
    Innocent! Semen sample showed she's clean, can't argue with that.
  • Options
    I simply find it puzzling that Ye Shiwen doesn't compete in, say, 50m or 100m straight up freestyle, but restricts herself to the medley.
  • Options

ps I am a bit concerned about Stu's reference in his first post to 'the work ethic in China dwarfs'. Don't the taller Chinese have the same work ethic??:-)

It's the 26hours a day of school that makes them small, the tall ones are clearly lazy, that's why they suck at basketball ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Check out Americas past activities with doping.

Check out any country, drugs in sport isn't unique to China's past alone but their (swimmers) performances in pool a few years back is still fresh in the memory. Their coach put the outstanding performances and results down to training methods and turtles blood but not doping.
    For me, China and Ye Shiwen will have to repeat these performances over the next few years to repair the damage to their name.
    In the past and maybe today the best chemists (not Boots or Lloyds) won medals. Whenever there is an outstanding performance, regardless of nationality, doping will be mentioned. Unless its us. We're British and play fair ;-)
  • Options

regardless of nationality

I wonder about that in this instance.

• Options
    Interesting report on Radio 4's More Or Less programme on drug taking in sport. It doesn't suggest there's any problem with Ye Shiwen's swim. Instead it suggests that many athletics records from the '80s may never be broken as a result of doping around that era.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l8rbq

Starts at 0:01:45
  • Options
    There are some old world records out there:

Mens:
    Discus - June 86
    Shot Put - May 90
    Long Jump - Aug 91
    4x400m - Aug 93
    High Jump - July 93
    Pole Vault - July 94
    Triple Jump - Aug 95