Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Kerkar makes it three...

Salim Kerkar became Charlton’s third signing of the season on Wednesday with the ex-Rangers star signing on a one-year deal following a successful trial.

Salim Kerkar:
Age- 24 (25 in 3 days time)
Place of birth-Givors, France
Height-1.80 m (5 ft 11 in) (Passes CharltonLife height test)
Playing position: Attacking Midfielder

Background:
The Algerian midfielder is the younger brother of ex-Algeria international Kerim Kerkar (formerly of Manchester City and Dundee United) and Salim made his professional debut for French side ‘FC Gueugnon’ at the age of 18. During his time with Guengnon he scored four times in 48 games. Also in that period he went on-loan to another French side ‘Calais RUFC’ and he scored six times in 36 matches.

After impressing on trial with Rangers, Kerkar sealed a permanent move to Ibrox in 2010 but it wasn’t until this year when Kerkar scored his first goal for the Scottish side against Arbroath in the Scottish Cup.
YouTube link for that goal is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEVd0rcoPi4&feature=player_embedded

Style of Play:
For style of play, I asked some Rangers fans for a brief description of the way he plays and the feedback was positive. He is described as a player that has a ‘fantastic turn of pace’ with lots of skill (especially step-overs) and a terrific left-foot. His most impressive position for Rangers appeared to be left-wing, so he will probably give good cover for Jackson or possibly suit within a 4-3-3 formation.

What they say (Quotes from Twitter):
-He’s (Kerkar’s) immense, like the Algerian Messi! (Rangers Supporter)
-Zidane...(Rangers Supporter)
- Pacey, skillful, a real handful for centre-backs with his height and a wicked left foot on him. (Rangers Supporter)

But despite the majority of comments being positive, I couldn’t help but notice some negative ones:
-Great news we have got rid of Kerkar. Never rated him. #goodriddance (Rangers Fan)
-No more Kerkar. Let's be honest, was he actually good? (Rangers Fan)

Overall:
Judging by the comments by Rangers fans, he seems like a player that could add something different to our side. He has that hero-like status with some of the fans similar to Andy Hughes with Leeds fans when we signed him last summer.

Considering that he has been on trial and impressed, plus being a free I feel that the addition of Kerkar is a decent move by Powell.

Welcome Salim and best of luck for the season.

Comments

• Great write up.
  • Thanks Stubley.....good work.
  • Yep. Everything I need to know. Can I be the first to say he's rubbish. ;0). Welcome Mr Kerkar.
  • To the tune of "All we are saying is give peace a chance"

We've got our Salim from Givors in France
  • ...or to the tune of the Gracie Field favourite:

" Sallee, Sallee, he's at The Valley "......
  • I heard the board have got chronic OCD including a phobia of having more than one person at the club with the same initials.

Hence Steve Kavanagh was forced to resign to make way for this chap coming on the payroll.

Apparently we are after Claudio Pizzarro from Bayern but he's not allowed to join with the current manager in place.
  • edited August 2012
    As I said on the other thread, he sounds a sensible piece of business and worth a punt. It's a relatively low risk punt as well as the club have celarly done their homework on him by having him on an extended trial.

My only worry is that often players who like a step over aren't always so keen on crossing and passing but it'll be nice to have a few more flair players around the team this year to hopefully get the pulse racing.
  • Nice write-up and welcome Salim. Sir Chris will make you a legend if you put the work in ;-)
  • Good article Stubley. I'm happy with that signing Welcome to Charlton, Salim.
  • I heard the board have got chronic OCD including a phobia of having more than one person at the club with the same initials.

Hence Steve Kavanagh was forced to resign to make way for this chap coming on the payroll.

Apparently we are after Claudio Pizzarro from Bayern but he's not allowed to join with the current manager in place.

I guess that means one of the Danny's will be off soon then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks Stubley
  • bit of a random question and I realise he's only signed for 1 year but I wonder what sort of wage SK was on at Rangers? Significant pay drop or, as no transfer fee we can spend a bit more on wages for him?
  • Am overwhelmed with a feeling of underwhelmment :)
  • Saw him at Barnet and was impressed. Very good ball control and likes to take players on. Reminded me a little bit of Kyel Reid (who I still say is one of the most naturally gifted players we had between 2007-2011)
  • cafctom said:

Saw him at Barnet and was impressed. Very good ball control and likes to take players on. Reminded me a little bit of Kyel Reid (who I still say is one of the most naturally gifted players we had between 2007-2011)

Shelvey
  • He is described as a player that has a ‘fantastic turn of pace’ with lots of skill (especially step-overs) and a terrific left-foot

Hmmm...have we re-signed Jerome Thomas in disguise??

When we came down from the Prem, I thought Thomas would rip Championship defences apart. Unfortunately, whilst he was on the pitch in body, his talent was obviously not intent on joining him. Kerkar has a point to prove, so I would expect a positive attitude at least. Haven't seen him play, but obviously he's done enough to impress Dr Powell.
  • razil said:

Am overwhelmed with a feeling of underwhelmment :)

I am merely whelmed.

• TelMc32 said:

He is described as a player that has a ‘fantastic turn of pace’ with lots of skill (especially step-overs) and a terrific left-foot

Hmmm...have we re-signed Jerome Thomas in disguise??

It'd be a pretty bad disguise if he has a "terrific left-foot".
  • I value SCP's judgement and from Stubley's write up confident he adds something to the squad. Worry is the 1 year contract; might makes it easy to get rid of him if he doesn't measure up but does it indicate he chose not to sign for longer period because his ambitions are elsewhere. We want new players that show Yann's committment to the club
  • I value SCP's judgement and from Stubley's write up confident he adds something to the squad. Worry is the 1 year contract; might makes it easy to get rid of him if he doesn't measure up but does it indicate he chose not to sign for longer period because his ambitions are elsewhere. We want new players that show Yann's committment to the club

I don't think it will be that. It's probably more to do with the fact that he's not going to be in the first eleven straight away and if we continue to play well into the new season then there may not be a critical need to have him here for years on end.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am sure the contract is worded is such a way that if he meets certain objectives, like no. of games then an automatic renewal is in there.

• cafctom said:

I value SCP's judgement and from Stubley's write up confident he adds something to the squad. Worry is the 1 year contract; might makes it easy to get rid of him if he doesn't measure up but does it indicate he chose not to sign for longer period because his ambitions are elsewhere. We want new players that show Yann's committment to the club

I don't think it will be that. It's probably more to do with the fact that he's not going to be in the first eleven straight away and if we continue to play well into the new season then there may not be a critical need to have him here for years on end.
    Fair point, cafctom
  • I can't spell the guys name without looking at the header at the top of the page , let alone seen him play , lets just give him a chance.
  • Good signing, seems like he could provide a decent option and slightly different style
  • As it goes, from an ability perspective I'd say he's on a similar sort of level to Hogan Ephraim, maybe with a bit more physical presence.
  • cafctom said:

As it goes, from an ability perspective I'd say he's on a similar sort of level to Hogan Ephraim, maybe with a bit more physical presence.

Plus he is genuinely left footed , he maintains the balance of our midfield if Hollands and Jacko are not playing.

• Never seen him play, don't know anything about him.

If Chris Powell thinks he can a do a job for us that's good enough for me.

Welcome Mr Kerkar
  • Never seen him play, don't know anything about him.

If Chris Powell thinks he can a do a job for us that's good enough for me.

Welcome Mr Kerkar

this - sounds like a decent squad addition to me, bit of balance on the left and could free Jacko up to slot inside.

• is 5'11" acceptable?
  • like the sound of him - we need somebody who can carry the ball, take people on etc - at times we were a bit predictable last year so think he should be a good addition.