Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

kids and sleepless nights

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
We fancied a couple of nights away from 'the same old scene' at home. Booked a couple of nights in brighton. A family room. Wife and I, 14 and 3 year old girls.

Night 1: so far managed 2 hours sleep. Our 3 year old who normally goes to bed at 7pm has managed to stay awake all night. Still wants to play now at 6am. Clearly disrupted by the change in location. AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Comments

• Options
    Wondering if I can cancel 2nd night and travel home a day early!
  • Options
    my 9 year old has got into a habit of waking up about 4.30am and getting in our bed. It wakes me up - sometimes i go back to sleep, other times i go into work early. Today, i'm on here. He's gonna get a proper talking to today - no new Charlton kit as promised if he does it again. If that doesn't do it, i'll know we have a problem.
  • Options
    Don't let him in the bed , walk him back into his bed tell him still night time etc .....
    We had a few problems but gotta be cruel to be kind although admittedly ours are younger
    As for johnny fook knows , she'll wanna sleep during the day now ..... Good luck

• Options

Don't let him in the bed , walk him back into his bed tell him still night time etc .....
    We had a few problems but gotta be cruel to be kind although admittedly ours are younger
    As for johnny fook knows , she'll wanna sleep during the day now ..... Good luck

you are right - i did that about a year ago and it worked so i need to do it again but have been a bit lazy really.
  • Options

Still going strong. Her not me.
  • Options
    That's powerful from your 3 year old !
    I'd have sleep deprivation rage by now and be rowing with the mrs
  • Options
    Nothing worse than not getting enough sleep, gives you the hump all day.
  • Options
    One track mind. She was rooting around at 3am for her bucket and spade! (We didn't bring it) I guess we are going to the beach.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Johnny , I sympathise with you, my lad who is 12 now up until the age of 11 used to wake up in the middle of the night , and end up in our bed, man did I end up with a bad back , I've watched some of those super nanny programmes, are hey doing a new series?

One thing I found that did help was one time we were on holiday I got my 2 lads to share a room together, it helped both of them get on with each other so much do that when they got home they wanted to share a room together, and we turned the other room into a 'games room' nice chairs, Big Tele and a Ps3 , everyone's happy.

In your current situation ? Hot choccie before bed, keep them up late so they have to fall asleep, difficult as it Is try and do activities in the daytime that wear them out, make sure you or your partner take turns at afternoon sleeps.
  • Options
    Friends little ones always get into their bed and they just accept it for a quiet life but you do have to be strong with them otherwise it's a rod for your own back.

My daughter (4 last week) is amazing at bedtimes and only ever comes upstairs when she's ill - a real angel. Had a couple of instances where she came up but I just carry her to her bed and sit with her until she falls asleep then go back to bed

As for my 25 day old baby - he just won't stop grunting, groaning and farting at the moment. Now that is sleep deprivation!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a lot you can do about it while you're away johnny. It's getting her back in her old routine when you get back that'll be fun! ;-)

Know how you feel though mate. My 14 month old is teething. Got about sixteen teeth now. Think I've lost two nights sleep for each of the little blighters.
    It should be made compulsory that babies are born with teeth!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Friends little ones always get into their bed and they just accept it for a quiet life but you do have to be strong with them otherwise it's a rod for your own back.

My daughter (4 last week) is amazing at bedtimes and only ever comes upstairs when she's ill - a real angel. Had a couple of instances where she came up but I just carry her to her bed and sit with her until she falls asleep then go back to bed

As for my 25 day old baby - he just won't stop grunting, groaning and farting at the moment. Now that is sleep deprivation!!

Isnt it a joy? Mine almost three weeks old. Apparently night time seems to be awake time, as does most of the day. So hardly any sleep every night for almost three weeks now!
  • Options
    Good posts here. Glad I've not been the only one. Will see how the day pans out. I think home will be fine as she will be knackered.
  • Options
    Maybe I should start a thread for cats and sleepless nights because that little bugger wakes me up at 3 in the morning every day without fail. At least I can open the door and kick the git out I suppose.
  • Options
    The postman woke me up at 7.30am this morning on a weekend and the post was for the person who moved out 6 years ago. Am in a foul mood.
  • Options

The postman woke me up at 7.30am this morning

A lie in at my house.

• Options
    I guess it was compared to the time i get up for work but wasn't my plan for today.
  • Options
    Having kids terrifies me... Love my sleep!
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Waheeyyyyyyy!

Did he slam the door too hard on the way out?!
  • Options

Maybe I should start a thread for cats and sleepless nights because that little bugger wakes me up at 3 in the morning every day without fail. At least I can open the door and kick the git out I suppose.

Time to invest in a cat flap?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Waheeyyyyyyy!

Did he slam the door too hard on the way out?!
    Haha!
  • Options
    Due to no sleep we got out early and visited the pier, laines, electric railway and beach. Suzie had naps in between. Cut short the trip by one day and saved money on extra hotel fees etc. Arrived home and watched the greatest british sporting night ever as well as ainslie and murray golds today. A bit drunk now as sister and family popped down unexpectedly. Suzie went to bed without any trouble last night and tonight. Everything has turned out well.
  • Options
    My Daughter has night fits roughly every 3 hours so I have to grab sleep when I can at night.As soon as she has had a fit after 10pm I go to bed knowing I will be woken by 2am so every night is different and tiring.
  • Options

My Daughter has night fits roughly every 3 hours so I have to grab sleep when I can at night.As soon as she has had a fit after 10pm I go to bed knowing I will be woken by 2am so every night is different and tiring.

I'd struggle with that on an ongoing basis. I guess we adapt but all credit to you.
  • Options
    You are right Johnny you do adapt but I haven't a clue how?Whenever I'm asked how do I do it I can never answer them,but I do get respite every Saturday night which certainly helps.
  • Options
    Jesus, we sound bloody lucky by the sound of it. We hardly ever get woken up by our 3 year old, unless she's poorly. Been like it from a very early age, earliest she wakes is 6:45 and often later. We did get her into a routine early doors which seems to have worked.
  • Options
    Our twins are 17 months now and neither sleep beyond 5.30am . Lately our girl has started waking up late at night around 11 and even though we try to leave her as we know nothing is really wrong it's just not possible as she gets louder and louder.

Like killer kish says you adapt but to be honest it's hard work but the rewards really are there.
  • Options
    As my son is 8 those days are well behind us, but I have to confess to being a little jealous of those of you that have very young children. The sleepless nights are hardly ideal, but the adventure is just starting. I would love to have another child or two! Sadly Mrs KHA is too interested in her career to entertain such thoughts, but if she changed her mind I wouldn't hesitate to have more sleep thieves in our house.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    razil said:

Time to invest in a cat flap?
    Got one. But at our old place I used to get woken early hours to a fox with half his body hanging through it. Now at our new place I've got it set so he can go out but cant get back in. He still feels he has to wake us by making some noise though
  • Options
    You need a magnetic one. Magnet round the cats neck. Only your cat comes in & and out.