Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Pietersen - Biggest Tosser in British Sport?

Comments

• Options

KP scored his second consecutive century in South African domestic T20 for Dolphins - first was off 65 balls , second off 45.

I could do that against that lot. Well maybe not but the teams are made up of unknowns and "has beens".

Hope KP is thoroughly enjoying his 2 minutes of fame. He must have been missing it on the beach. Bet he got a few big scores there too.
    In those two innings he faced four recent SA internationals and yet more A team players. He's still got it, no matter what you think of him
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Riviera said:

Would I rather he got 0? I couldn't care less, as I said the innings is irrelevant. Not joining a Div 1 county is not trivial and of course there is a major difference, when a county get relegated the best players move to Div 1 teams. We have plenty of players who will score runs for England.
    Don't believe the hype.

As Canters says, that is rubbish. Has there been a surge of players leaving Surrey and Lancashire coz they are in Div 2 ??
    Surrey can afford to keep them. Counties who don't have Test match funding can't.

The question is "is KP the biggest tosser in British sport?". To which I would respond a resounding "yes".

And if you were to ask some members of the Natal, South Africa, Notts, Hants, England and even Surrey dressing rooms and I suspect you will get the same answer. I suppose that does make him somewhat unique.
    Exactly, its the Test match counties that call the shots financially regardless of what division they are in.
    However, there are plenty of ex/current team-mates that look up him and look for advice from him. The major 'problem' has been , as I see it, that he wasn't accepted by the various England cliques, such as Cook/Management,Swann/Anderson,Broad/Prior, however, if you talk to the likes of Root and Balance, then I'm sure you will get a different perception of the man.
    As NLA says, he could score a thousand more runs than anyone else in the team , and he still wouldn't be picked under the current regime - however, that regime seems to be changing with Downton going, and likely Moores soon after by the sounds of it. After that , all it needs is for Cook to have a bad spell against NZ, and most of the Anti-KP brigade have gone.
    Got a feeling he'll be back - and maybe even as captain. Maybe we should ask Brearley to come back in an advisory role (sort of Director of Cricket) - coz he'd be the one to get the best out of him.
    100% agree with you regarding KP.

As a nation we always seem to struggle to handle those maverick like characters just because they won't / can't / don't "fit" into a vision determined by the powers that be (the ECB or The FA etc) whether it be KP in cricket, Gazza, Paolo Di Canio etc anybody "controversial".

For me it takes a particular type of man manager to handle these characters. Yes they have an ego to stroke but if you have that talent on form and hungry then they can be the most devastating players in the world. I always thought Harry Redknapp was a great example of someone able to manage characters and keep them motivated. Sure Redknapp would probably overlook Di Canio turning up 10 minutes late to training so long as he was producing the goods on the pitch and if he wasn't then Di Canio would have the consequences to deal with.

I appreciate i'm mixing in football into this post but my point is I just don't feel we have anybody in the England setup capable of managing a talent like KP so the easiest thing to do is to discard him because he "doesn't fit" or "follow the processes". In my opinion KP is still good enough to be in the England team now. Like scoring goals in football if you put big hundreds up on the scoreboard everything else gets forgiven / forgotten about.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

KP scored his second consecutive century in South African domestic T20 for Dolphins - first was off 65 balls , second off 45.

I could do that against that lot. Well maybe not but the teams are made up of unknowns and "has beens".

Hope KP is thoroughly enjoying his 2 minutes of fame. He must have been missing it on the beach. Bet he got a few big scores there too.
    In those two innings he faced four recent SA internationals and yet more A team players. He's still got it, no matter what you think of him
    So who exactly, apart from Ryan McLaren who hasn't been in the side for a year and is almost 33 himself, out of those bowling today is a "recent SA international" because the likes of Dillon du Preez, Shadley van Schalkwyk, Malusi Siboto, Werner Coetsee and Kagiso Mohale have never been anywhere near that standard. In fact, they wouldn't even get a county contract.
  • Options
    He faced Tsotsobe, Leie, Phangiso and A-teamer Pretorius for his previous hundred
  • Options

Riviera said:

Would I rather he got 0? I couldn't care less, as I said the innings is irrelevant. Not joining a Div 1 county is not trivial and of course there is a major difference, when a county get relegated the best players move to Div 1 teams. We have plenty of players who will score runs for England.
    Don't believe the hype.

As Canters says, that is rubbish. Has there been a surge of players leaving Surrey and Lancashire coz they are in Div 2 ??
    Surrey can afford to keep them. Counties who don't have Test match funding can't.

The question is "is KP the biggest tosser in British sport?". To which I would respond a resounding "yes".

And if you were to ask some members of the Natal, South Africa, Notts, Hants, England and even Surrey dressing rooms and I suspect you will get the same answer. I suppose that does make him somewhat unique.
    Exactly, its the Test match counties that call the shots financially regardless of what division they are in.
    However, there are plenty of ex/current team-mates that look up him and look for advice from him. The major 'problem' has been , as I see it, that he wasn't accepted by the various England cliques, such as Cook/Management,Swann/Anderson,Broad/Prior, however, if you talk to the likes of Root and Balance, then I'm sure you will get a different perception of the man.
    As NLA says, he could score a thousand more runs than anyone else in the team , and he still wouldn't be picked under the current regime - however, that regime seems to be changing with Downton going, and likely Moores soon after by the sounds of it. After that , all it needs is for Cook to have a bad spell against NZ, and most of the Anti-KP brigade have gone.
    Got a feeling he'll be back - and maybe even as captain. Maybe we should ask Brearley to come back in an advisory role (sort of Director of Cricket) - coz he'd be the one to get the best out of him.
    100% agree with you regarding KP.

As a nation we always seem to struggle to handle those maverick like characters just because they won't / can't / don't "fit" into a vision determined by the powers that be (the ECB or The FA etc) whether it be KP in cricket, Gazza, Paolo Di Canio etc anybody "controversial".

For me it takes a particular type of man manager to handle these characters. Yes they have an ego to stroke but if you have that talent on form and hungry then they can be the most devastating players in the world. I always thought Harry Redknapp was a great example of someone able to manage characters and keep them motivated. Sure Redknapp would probably overlook Di Canio turning up 10 minutes late to training so long as he was producing the goods on the pitch and if he wasn't then Di Canio would have the consequences to deal with.

I appreciate i'm mixing in football into this post but my point is I just don't feel we have anybody in the England setup capable of managing a talent like KP so the easiest thing to do is to discard him because he "doesn't fit" or "follow the processes". In my opinion KP is still good enough to be in the England team now. Like scoring goals in football if you put big hundreds up on the scoreboard everything else gets forgiven / forgotten about.
    Di Canio would never turn up late for training and would always be the last to leave. And Harry wouldn't know if he was because he never used to leave his office!
  • Options
    Meanwhile we aren't even at the end of day 3 in the Australia v NZ First Test and these are the scores:

Australia 1st inns 556-4 dec

NZ 1st Inns 317 all out

Australia 2ns Inns 223-0 off 37 overs!

Warner has got a ton in both innings.

• Options

Meanwhile we aren't even at the end of day 3 in the Australia v NZ First Test and these are the scores:

Australia 1st inns 556-4 dec

NZ 1st Inns 317 all out

Australia 2ns Inns 223-0 off 37 overs!

Warner has got a ton in both innings.

I see Kane Williamson got 140 - he;s a class act that boy - right up there with ABDV and Root.
  • Options
    Say, what you like about KP, but Dolphins are playing on Sunday - i will be watching, but i wouldnt if KP wasnt playing.
  • Options
    68 off 44 balls today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Batting at moment - currently 33 no off 19 balls - including 19 off last over
  • Options
    52 no off 29
  • Options
    out for 59 off 35 caught off Wayne Parnell.
    Ok, i can go to shops now!
  • Options
    Playing his first innings for Melbourne Stars tonight - currently 74 no off 40 .
  • Options

Playing his first innings for Melbourne Stars tonight - currently 74 no off 40 .

2nd innings - he was out for 22 in the first game
  • Options
    Is that two out of two his team have lost ... What's the format are they close to going out
  • Options

Is that two out of two his team have lost ... What's the format are they close to going out

They play 8 matches with top 4 (of 8 teams) going through to semis, so plenty to play for still.
  • Options
    Still a massive tosser and it being all about him.
  • Options
    Hahahahaha.

How does he think he will get into either the South Africa or England test sides?

Never.
    Going.
    To.
    Happen.

There is waste being left hanging around at Sellafield that's less toxic to a team than you pal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He'll be 37 by 2018, too.

Deluded.
  • Options
    I still think the accolade belongs to Katrien.
  • Options
    Haha. Saw this earlier. I guess he'll have to get that England tattoo removed.

I do think he's been poorly treated by the ECB but this shows he has no loyalty to England. Has the attitude of a spoilt brat
  • Options
    It's ok it's only a transfer
  • Options
    This is very childish of me but couldn't help but snigger at he name of his IPL team - Rising Pune Supergiants.
  • Options
    Perhaps, when he finally achieves his lifetime ambition of playing for his homeland, he'll text Joe Root the Safers team selection and tactics.
  • Options
    Does he have a place in English sport for next season?

I hope not.

Tool
  • Options
    Worse than bloody International Football.

How can you be allowed to play for another country when you've already represented one, makes a complete mockery of it

And yes I think the likes of Diego Costa playing for Brazil then Spain because his Brazil cap was only a friendly is also a joke
  • Options

Worse than bloody International Football.

How can you be allowed to play for another country when you've already represented one, makes a complete mockery of it

And yes I think the likes of Diego Costa playing for Brazil then Spain because his Brazil cap was only a friendly is also a joke
    I agree totally. The idea that you can chop and change the international team you represents makes a mockery of it. Its supposed to be the thing that separates it out from club competition.