Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weekend away - but where?

Be great if anyone can offer up any suggestions for me. I'll have the chance to take three nights away with a new partner in a couple of weeks time. We're both in our forties, you know how it is. Anyway somewhere in the countryside is what we want, I think, but near a beach of some kind. And she likes zoos and safari parks and so on, for some reason. I'm inclined to think of the Kent countryside around Whitstable but we can travel further.

Anyway, any general ideas or specifics on cottage type rentals and so on would be gratefully appreciated.

COYR and see you tonight.

Comments

• Options
    why not head over to Europe mate? Explore a different culture?
  • Options
    go down to dymchurch or that way, port lympne animal park nearby, cottages in the grounds of port lympne castle
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    ozaddick said:

why not head over to Europe mate? Explore a different culture?

have to agree.
    last september went to prague and this year going to budapest.
    both occasions fly out early friday morning and come back monday evening so in effect have 4 days.
    booked through alpharooms and because its so cheap to eat/drink over there, i'd say it cost me less than if i were to do the same over here.
    no beach though.
  • Options
    A life without foreign travel would be a grim one and we have plenty of miles under our belt - just that on this occasion a trip free of airports and concrete would be welcome. Really appreciate the thoughts.

COYR.
  • Options
    If you come down towards Whitstable, there's Howletts or Wingham Wildlife Park, might be worth looking them up.
  • Options
    How about a trip to the new forest, Lymington or Lyndhurst. Great countryside, near the coast and some lovely pubs and restaurants about. Try Elmers court country club in Lymington for some good rooms in that area.
  • Options
    City break to eastern Europe. I suggest Krakow in Poland. Fantastic destination. Loads to see and do with good value restaurants and hotels.
  • Options
    I would 2nd the new forest . I moved down here in march ,it's beautiful and answers most of your check list . Amazing countryside with quality local pubs . Great beaches on the way out towards Bournemouth , marwell zoo in Southampton plus a couple of small wildlife parks in the forest . Agree with lyndhurst or lymington as a base but to be honest it's of a size where most places are only 20 minutes away ( apart from if your stuck behind a pony )
  • Options
    Well someone's got to say it after the recent thread, how about Broadstairs?
  • Options
    North Norfolf coast for great beaches and countryside
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And I'd third the New Forest - just come back from a great weekend down there! If your partner likes animals, you've got all the wildlife in the Forest to look at, and as the chap above says, Marwell Zoo on your doorstep. Plus the place is so beautiful, you can't help but have a nice romantic weekend!

And just to ensure you do have a nice romantic weekend, and are prepared to push the boat out a bit, try the Captains Club in Christchurch.

Glass half empty - I can't wait to join you moving down there! Just need to get the kids settled and we're off too! Only 100 miles from London but a different world down there. And one I can't wait to join.
  • Options
    Ferry and then Le Touquet. Easy trip and then loads to do like eat, drink and play golf. Some lovely beaches and superb walks.
  • Options
    Or you could always go Kew gardens
  • Options
    Funny how things are.

Got the New Forest on my doorstep but going to a cottage in the Cotswold for a week.
  • Options
    St Ives.
  • Options
    try suffolk coast, aldeburgh or southwold beautiful country great restaurants pubs walks etc and usually lots of events going on this time of year, plus southwold home to Adnams brewery and on way up spend day at brilliant colchester zoo
  • Options
    My friend's pub has now built 3 guestrooms to the side of the pub. Though Im not actually sure when the rooms are officially opened, they should be within the next few weeks. I stayed in one the other week, flipping beautiful.

The Rose and Crown is near Sherborne, but set in a very peaceful, village location. You can drive to Weymouth and Lulworth Cove within an hour if you want the sead. The food in the pub is of a very high quality and has stunning scenery.

http://www.roseandcrowntrent.co.uk/index.php

• Options
    Swanage or surrounding area ain't bad. And a day out at Monkey Worls is to be recommended.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Grove cottages in Suffolk are all 4&5* cottages and there are some close to Aldeburgh and Southwold. Only a couple of hours away too.

I can highly recommend them. http://www.grove-cottages.co.uk/
  • Options
    Southwold...lovely little town stuck in a time warp, smells of beer (Adnams Brewery) and sea air.....you half expect Capt Mainwaring to come wandering out of the local bank.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.travelstyletours.co.uk/
    Used these a few times (look for self-drive).
    Folkestone, Grand Burstin (right by the harbour) or one on The Leas (don't remember if it was the Southcliff or the Salisbury) – best was Brighton, Royal Albion by the pier, hour free bar when we went.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The Grand Burstin....what an fing dump mate.....can't believe you're recommending that place....2 star, 3 at best and that's pushing it!
  • Options
    wickford said:

http://www.travelstyletours.co.uk/
    Used these a few times (look for self-drive).
    Folkestone, Grand Burstin (right by the harbour) or one on The Leas (don't remember if it was the Southcliff or the Salisbury) – best was Brighton, Royal Albion by the pier, hour free bar when we went.

F**k me, The Burstin and The Southcliff?! I live in Folkestone and I'd steer well clear of both. Quite frankly if you're doing a weekend away in Kent you can do far better than Folkestone. Whitstable or Tenterden for example.
  • Options
    Some great ideas. Cottage somewhere I reckon. have fond memories of Whitstable from the 70s, presumably a haunt of many of us at one time or another.

COYR.
  • Options
    Rome - although it is very hot at this time of year. Can't imagine anyone not being overwhelmed by the Eternal City...
  • Options

City break to eastern Europe. I suggest Krakow in Poland. Fantastic destination. Loads to see and do with good value restaurants and hotels.

He said - just that on this occasion a trip free of airports and concrete would be welcome.

• Options
    redsek said:

Rome - although it is very hot at this time of year. Can't imagine anyone not being overwhelmed by the Eternal City...

He said - just that on this occasion a trip free of airports and concrete would be welcome.

• Options
    Lymington?

Near the new forest, on the sea. 3 marinas, loads of restaurants and nice pubs. Also near a nature reserve and wetlands, so that ticks the animal liking part.

Its really lovely there, google it. I was supposed to go for a weekend away there myself a few months ago but my money ran out.
  • Options
    We had a long weekend in Bucklers Hard near Beaulieu in the New Forest. We stayed at The Master Builders Hotel and it was wonderul. Its beautiful round there.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    There are some Fishermans huts in Whitstable which have recently been converted into short term living accomodation (by the local authority I think?)....they are terrific and I was only looking at them a week or so ago.
    Not cheap at this time of the year....particularly at the weekends of course.. but never-the-less they looked absolutely great.
    Just do a Google search Whitstable fishermans huts for rent.
    Just had a look and there are two companies doing them....Continental Hotels and another outfit.
    It was the 'other outfit' that I looked at 01277-280280, can't remember their name off the top of my head.