Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro Lottery winnings

Comments

• Options
    would buy Baldock as a parting gift to Charlton before jetting off on a 25 year excursion around the world.
  • Options
    You would be earning about £9000 interest per day
  • Options
    Macronate said:

would buy Baldock as a parting gift to Charlton before jetting off on a 25 year excursion around the world.

Except it would be a real pain to fly back to UK every weekend in time to see Charlton matches, right?

• Options

pretty sure i read Camelot advise people to go public. Not a clue why though.

I think if you go public then you get all of your financial advice/planning free of charge for a set period of time.
  • Options
    I would buy a plot of land on the Greenwich Peninsular and build a go kart/motocross/speedway/greyhound/destruction derby/paintballing/quasar/bowling/cinema mega complex thing, then probably build a bespoke house for myself, give money to my family and friends and keep the remaining £50mill or so building up in a tax haven somewhere ;-)
  • Options
    WSS said:

I think if you go public then you get all of your financial advice/planning free of charge for a set period of time.
    Sure you could afford your own if you won.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Macronate said:

Except it would be a real pain to fly back to UK every weekend in time to see Charlton matches, right?

err..

• Options

pretty sure i read Camelot advise people to go public. Not a clue why though.</

Can't see y unless it's part of the terms for large wins!?

• Options
    I would buy Portsmouth - and keep the other £148.225 million -

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I imagine it would be impossible to keep a win that size secret.
    Family, friends, neighbours, the web would quickly expand until one of them blabs to the press.
    At least letting people know publicly in one go meant they will have 'advisors' around them for the tsunami of begging letters and long lost cousins.

Personally any sum over, say, £10 million should come with a proviso that for every extra pound of winnings, another should go to a recognised charity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thought it was the other way round? might be wrong though.
  • Options
    Just think , there would be no point in having an alarm clock as you would never have to get out of bed until you wanted. If I won it I'd call my office and say "you'd best come get your van as I ain't bringing it to you"

Just to be able to do that , wow
  • Options
    I heard that for the Euro Millions there is a clause in the ticket which means the winners have to be made known to the public, would probably explain why so many of the winners of it seem to be in the press.
  • Options
    If they capped the jackpot amount there would not be less people playing, I read somewhere that when it its treble rollovers etc the percentage of takings increase dramatically by people who are not regular players.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I heard that for the Euro Millions there is a clause in the ticket which means the winners have to be made known to the public, would probably explain why so many of the winners of it seem to be in the press.

Some large winners remained anonymous.

• Options
    Yeah NY is correct , I've not told anyone about my big one
  • Options
    I would stay anonymous like New Your Addick did!

I wouldn't even tell all my family. Human nature being what it is they would all expect me to fund all their needs, and wants. My Mum would expect me to buy a house for my sister and for her two children. Even if I could afford it it would do them little good as they would lose the motivation to make something of their lives.

Also if you have that much money it wouldn't matter how much you gave away to friends and family they would all still think you could have (and probably should have) given them more, "I mean look at how much they have. It's obscene!"

As for buying the club? No chance! I wouldn't ever expose myself or my family to the kind of abuse that you lot would throw at us if we bought the club and failed to buy every player, every plot of land needed for development, and secure a league position that the club can't afford without massive handouts. Football fans are the most ungrateful, demanding group of individuals I can think of.

I should be mentioned that I don't think that sort of money ever enhances a life in the long term that is why I don't, actually, play the lottery. Short of being able to fund medical treatment that would save someone's life I would rather not have that kind of money for the reasons above.
  • Options

I wouldn't even tell all my family. Human nature being what it is they would all expect me to fund all their needs, and wants. My Mum would expect me to buy a house for my sister and for her two children. Even if I could afford it it would do them little good as they would lose the motivation to make something of their lives.

Also if you have that much money it wouldn't matter how much you gave away to friends and family they would all still think you could have (and probably should have) given them more, "I mean look at how much they have. It's obscene!"

As for buying the club? No chance! I wouldn't ever expose myself or my family to the kind of abuse that you lot would throw at us if we bought the club and failed to buy every player, every plot of land needed for development, and secure a league position that the club can't afford without massive handouts. Football fans are the most ungrateful, demanding group of individuals I can think of.

I should be mentioned that I don't think that sort of money ever enhances a life in the long term that is why I don't, actually, play the lottery. Short of being able to fund medical treatment that would save someone's life I would rather not have that kind of money for the reasons above.

Humbug!!
  • Options
    Hope TJ buys a ticket.....
  • Options
    It always seems to be families who win these huge jackpots, anybody noticed that?

Never the 25 year old South London lad.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2012

Enjoy your life in "Kings Hill" and your coffee mornings!

• Options

Enjoy your life in "Kings Hill" and your coffee mornings!

It's on Kings Hill, if you don't mind. ;-)
  • Options
    As in........Do you live in Brighton?.......No Hove actually?
  • Options
    No it's more to do with us living 'on' a hill rather than living 'in' a hill.
  • Options
    We could go on all day, you live in Kings Hill which is 'actually' on a hill.
  • Options

We could go on all day, you live in Kings Hill which is 'actually' on a hill.

seemed flat to me the other day when I did a delivery there :-)

• Options
    No Kings there either! Bloody let down, all though you can see Ian Wrights gaff!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

No Kings there either! Bloody let down, all though you can see Ian Wrights gaff!

That'll be because it's Kings Hill not King's Hill or Kings' Hill! ;-)

• Options
    I thought I read that if you go public you get the money in a lump sum, if you decline it you have the money spread over a period of time.
  • Options

I thought I read that if you go public you get the money in a lump sum, if you decline it you have the money spread over a period of time.

Egh???