Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Championship 2012/13 Preview: Millwall

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Plaaayer said:

I reckon if you asked them who had the most twatish fans you'd win that as well.

Present company accepted of course.

I dunno - I've always found other fans, especially northerners, to be in two very distinct camps:

We're cockney cants and scum of the earth

Or

We are a proper old fashioned club with passionate fans.

However, they find Palace the ultimate southern sissy club with 'twatish' (awful word) fans who wave balloons.

Either way, Im happy with both descriptions.
  • Options
    Is it alright to get this thread back on track?

Millwall and us are the same size, both potless, both have good young managers and the one that finishes higher than the other at the end of the season would probably have suffered less injuries/suspensions etc. Us 9th, Millwall 11th, Palace 17th.
  • Options
    Looked it up
    Bunny said:

12000 strong no one likes us/one Kenny Jacket

Doubt there were even that many in the ground and some of those would have been Brum fans. 9000 home fans maybe.

One of the best atmospheres I ever heard at the new place was v Birmingham, it was a 2nd round League Cup game, only 6,000 Wall there, 1,000 Brummies...but it was electric. First meeting since the riot in the play offs.

A Birmingham City fanzine described it as a kind of ground zero for English football. They said it shamed Aston Villa and their so called hostile reception.

The reason I mention that is all Millwall fans take more pride in things like that than in stats etc. Palace and Charlton have topped our gates for years - but I bet you now, and I'll honour this in court, £1,000 that if you asked fans from clubs up and down the country who had the loudest, most partisan, home support out the 3 we'd win by a landslide.

So, who gives a fuck if only 5,000 were there...it was a great bit of support that others can only try and replicate with balloons, banners or drums.

Waffle, waffle, cliche, waffle cliche.

Wasn't me who said you had 12k home fans at a game.

Crowd for the 6 - 0 defeat was 10,500 so no, there weren't 12,000 spanners singing "One Kenny Jacket".
  • Options
    Where do you lot get this anorak tag from - baffles me!
  • Options
    Bunny said:

Where do you lot get this anorak tag from - baffles me!

Better, less waffle. Now only need to do something about the cliches
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    If you ask any set of fans which of the three clubs turns on their players the most, millwall will win by a landslide.

One Kenny Jacket my front bottom.
  • Options
    I will, if you stop being a stereotype.
  • Options
    Bunny said:

I will, if you stop being a stereotype.

No, that's another cliche/standard Spanner come back to be used when caught exaggerating/making things up.

I don't think you can break out of those ingrained habits/no matter what so best to leave it there. Bye bye : - )

• Options
    You're a sensitive soul, aren't you henry.

• Options
    Bunny is correct about last season . Their fans did support Jackett to the hilt although Henry is correct about how Millwall fans often respond to criticism of their support .

One of my best friends has been a fanatical supporter of the Spanners for over 50 years and he tells me Jackett is the first manager that the Den faithful have regularly sung the name of . He did make some astute signings during the January window as well as Harry Kane ,in particular Maik Taylor coming in as a Keeper improved their defensive record and as Bunny says Andy Keogh is a good striker at this level .

My mate believes that Berylson and Jackett are the best combination of owner / manager they have ever had and that the diehards appreciate what they have done because without them they were potentially facing relegation to League 2 rather than establishing themselves in the CCC . This is in contrast to the legendary former owner Micky Purser who used to have his Car show room in the Old Kent Road regularly trashed on a Saturday night if Millwall lost or sold a star player .

However , he also dismisses any criticism of the club or its supporters as stereotyping and I feel he has a blind spot about their image even when confronted with overwhelming evidence .

He also boasts about the edge , passion and 'unique atmosphere ' that the crowd have at the New Den without acknowledging where sometimes this can lead .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, I think that the fans that actually go to the games supported Jackett. The keyboard warriors were the ones that wanted him out.
  • Options
    I have a quite a few Millwall mates who are Season Ticket holders and they all like Jackett. They are also happy in the championship and would settle for anywhere between 7th and 20th position.

I would have to say that is what I would want for Charlton, the only difference is I love SCP, not just like him.
  • Options
    Richard, I think it's the type of stereotyping or criticism that gets levelled that annoys some.

But it's not worth going in to on here because views are so firmly entrenched any debate/explanation is meet with those deep rooted stereotypical responses.

We have a deserved reputation in many aspects, but not in some, but if everyone was to understand then we wouldn't be disliked as much as we are and we wouldn't want that would we!
  • Options

I have a quite a few Millwall mates who are Season Ticket holders and they all like Jackett. They are also happy in the championship and would settle for anywhere between 7th and 20th position.

I would have to say that is what I would want for Charlton, the only difference is I love SCP, not just like him.

Some of the boards are already moaning about the game Tuesday and our signings. It's always a minority though that gets heard above the majority. We've got a full range of views, those confident of finishing top 10, those fearing relegation, those praising the signings, those dismissing them, but that's football nowadays I guess.

Last year was absolutely dire for the most part, some shocking performances and we lacked a cohesive pattern of play and direction. Things obviously picked up in the last 6 games, whether things "clicked" or whether it was just confidence or a bit of both, I don't know.

But a good start is so important this season to rid the players of the negativity of most of last season and get them playing with confidence.
  • Options
    AFKA is a true gent and dosnt despise anyone over 5 foot 3

me on the other hands thinks that your all c++ts
  • Options
    Keogh was a superb signing for them, though what he's doing at the Toolbox still baffles me.

• Options
    I love that fans of other clubs take the piss out of us using facts. Like speaking the truth instead of jumped up nonsense is something to be ashamed of.

I predict a mid table finish for Millwall. Good, but not great. Similar to us.
  • Options
    Millwall will have a very poor period cancelled out by a good run but generally a win one lose one season finishing very comfortably mid table.
  • Options
    Millwall got Osborne?

Well I never knew that. Could be decent.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Millwall are cnuts full stop. Guess what? If you don't like it fuck off onto a ...erm, whatsit called, oh yer a Millwall board !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:

Bunny is correct about last season . Their fans did support Jackett to the hilt although Henry is correct about how Millwall fans often respond to criticism of their support .

One of my best friends has been a fanatical supporter of the Spanners for over 50 years and he tells me Jackett is the first manager that the Den faithful have regularly sung the name of . He did make some astute signings during the January window as well as Harry Kane ,in particular Maik Taylor coming in as a Keeper improved their defensive record and as Bunny says Andy Keogh is a good striker at this level .

My mate believes that Berylson and Jackett are the best combination of owner / manager they have ever had and that the diehards appreciate what they have done because without them they were potentially facing relegation to League 2 rather than establishing themselves in the CCC . This is in contrast to the legendary former owner Micky Purser who used to have his Car show room in the Old Kent Road regularly trashed on a Saturday night if Millwall lost or sold a star player .

However , he also dismisses any criticism of the club or its supporters as stereotyping and I feel he has a blind spot about their image even when confronted with overwhelming evidence .

He also boasts about the edge , passion and 'unique atmosphere ' that the crowd have at the New Den without acknowledging where sometimes this can lead .

Richard J said:

Former Chairman Mickey Purser did not have his windows smashed everytime Millwall lost because from August 1964 until Jan 1967 Millwall were unbeaten at home in 59 league games.

Read what passion was shown against Huddersfield at the den in the play off semi final which I have seen on this message board their players admitted after the game that when they were warming up before the match and in the tunnel waiting to come out for the kick off frighten the life out of them.

By the way the only thing the atmosphere led to was beating huddersfield and getting back to wembley ,

I was at the valley the night we played Swindon in the semi final and had crowd which was bigger than theirs made the same amount of noise then we may have been at wembley instead of Swindon

• Options
    Thanks MillwallFrank.
  • Options
    *Spanner Alert*
  • Options
    We still hold Millwall's Highest home attendance at (The New London Stadium!) which was two years ago.

How come Millwall fans only turn out when they want to?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Sadly I think they will finish above us
    And as an expert on fans I will admit they do show great passion even with their miniscule numbers and I will admit that no club in the country has more c***s per fan than this lot

Nothing would make me happier than them being relegated(well bankruptcy and liquidation would) but KJ comes across as a decent fella and is definitely a decent manager and I hope a real football club wakes up and picks him up so he can personally push on to the next level

As a spread bet I've bought their points @ 56 (I can be a bok)

10th for these c****
  • Options
    Plenty of posts suggesting they will finish midtable.
    They would be lucky!

Another season in league one beckons for the spanners, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Gazcafc81 said:

We still hold Millwall's Highest home attendance at (The New London Stadium!) which was two years ago.

Do you? I thought it was against Arsenal in 95?

A number of Charlton fans in the home end the other year as well, remember to subtract those from your figures!
  • Options

Gazcafc81 said:

Do you? I thought it was against Arsenal in 95?

A number of Charlton fans in the home end the other year as well, remember to subtract those from your figures!
    I remember reading it in SLP but feel free to correct me, as i can't find anything but average millwall attendances online.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I stand corrected, according to soccerbase

20093: vs Arsenal 10/01/1994 FA Cup R3

or this link, not sure which is correct cba to check.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/millwall-v-arsenal-07-january-1995-216981/

One of them is correct, to which I suspect a few Arsenal in your home end during this game also. =)

• Options
    Think you must be 2nd though, which is a shame cos it gives you lot this stick to beat us with!

Be interesting to see what the biggest gate is this season for home fans. Reckon our game will still be the highest overall attendance since you bring double the amount that Palace do.