Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Censorship

Comments

• Options
    Why is it so difficult for some people to respect what AFKA and the rest of the moderators say? They run a wonderful forum for us to debate all sorts and deserve respect for this. If they think that something has crossed the line, then chances are it has. Can we stop having this debate every time something gets closed...the football season has started now, lets concentrate on more important matters.
  • Options
    all those complaining should ask for their money back.... oh
  • Options
  • Options
    My head hurts !
  • Options
    If I knew it was going to end like this I would never have introduced Lookie to AFKA with the suggestion that they combine their website and fanzine ideas to produce a high quality site that was more than just a message board but one that examined the essence of leading a Charlton life.
  • Options
    Darren Ambrose has got a lot to answer for.
  • Options

On what grounds was the Ambrose thread closed down? Doesn't freedom of speech apply on this forum.

In answer to your question, no I suppose freedom of speech doesn't apply on this forum, mainly for two reasons:

1. As an independently run site, we have a responsibility to ensure we don't get put in a difficult position by potentially libellous, slanderous or abusive comments posted on our platform. Having had legal issues in the past, we are more guarded against that than perhaps some other forums.

2. We have a desire to protect the integrity of the forum our names are against, and do what we can to endorse that. We didn't set this up to be a 'lads forum' or 'banta' site, we aim for a cross section of considered Charlton views, humour and general chat, but maintaining some form of standards. Homophobic, racist abuse, having a laugh at homophobic or racist abuse, falls well outside that.

Perhaps this is one of the instances where what we see as funny and acceptable in our mid-thirties is different to what we did when we were 20.

We take our moderation seriously because we are proud of our forum. Any busy forum that gets over 1,000 posts a day has to be moderated effectively otherwise it will completely disintegrate. It is never easy to strike to right balance and sometimes we will get it wrong. But having done it for over six years now I'm relatively confident we get it more right than wrong.

Hope that answers your question.

I understand that you do not want to run the risk potential libellous material or abusive comments.

But the one thing I have noticed that there is not a week goes by when another thread is closed I know of no other forum that brings down the axe as swiftly as this one. Other forums do not seem to have the problems you think you may get

That might be because you do not access a large amount of forums?

Another forum I use, Electricians Forum, is often having threads shut down for abusive, libellous comments. Its not just this forum
    A lack of "bright sparks" could be the reason why ;-)
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Darren Ambrose has got a lot to answer for.

LOL!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it safe to come out of the closet yet?
  • Options

Why is it so difficult for some people to respect what AFKA and the rest of the moderators say? They run a wonderful forum for us to debate all sorts and deserve respect for this. If they think that something has crossed the line, then chances are it has. Can we stop having this debate every time something gets closed...the football season has started now, lets concentrate on more important matters.

100% agree.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Why don't people use their real names and photos so that everyine is accountable and let's have a "free for all", no risk to the forum.....

And what a lovely sewer of a place that would be wouldn't it.....full of people like you threatening physical violence against anyone who didn't agree with you cos you'd have information about their real identities.

You come out with some cracking ideas Rob and this is right up there ;P

Hello Draize me old mucker.

Threats of physical violence? Talk about liabalous, but before I consult me brief though, I'll give you the chance to either apologise of prove your accusation.

To anyone worried about potential lawsiuts, I'll keep the motor ticking over in case it comes on top and we can make a dash for the Ecuadorian Embassy!

Oh @Draizetrain, only joking lad Citizens Advice closes at half 3!

; )
  • Options
    "with freedom of speech comes the responsibility of its use"
  • Options

If I knew it was going to end like this I would never have introduced Lookie to AFKA with the suggestion that they combine their website and fanzine ideas to produce a high quality site that was more than just a message board but one that examined the essence of leading a Charlton life.

Oh, the 'clique' that I've heard about. I get it now. :-)

Seriously, I can imagine it's a thankless task being a moderator. Knowing that fine line between what to allow and what not to allow. There's a fine line between censorship because of opinions that you don't agree with (the nasty kind of censorship) and censorship because of potential legal issues or simply that the discussion is unsavory or offensive in nature. Personally, I do think some discussions are closed unnecessarily but that's just my opinion. Like I said, a thankless task and I'm sure it's done in the right way.
  • Options
    Jeez: lucky I'm not "admin".
    I'd shut every thread that didn't agree with me.
  • Options

Jeez: lucky I'm not "admin".
    I'd shut every thread that didn't agree with me.

Oh no you wouldn't MOG!

; )
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Why don't people use their real names and photos so that everyine is accountable and let's have a "free for all", no risk to the forum.....

Totally agree Rob, could you imagine the embarrassment if you was christened with one of these usernames.
    But apart from that if Rio Ferdinand had hidden behind a username when passing comment on Ashley Cole the FA might not have been able to identify him, regulate the situation or impose a fine.

Is it fun, fantasy or anonimity why people change their identity?

Whatever the reason, if someone's real name was used for identity they might be reluctant to post anything that might be subject to censorship or libellous action and possibly protect the forum.

• Options
    Mr Irving:

produce a board that 'examined the essence of leading a Charlton life'.

I thought the Ambrose thread and this one were doing that. Matter of opinion though.
  • Options
    @+)> ar%%%%
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sorry about the spelling
  • Options
    mickc said:

BIG_ROB said:

Totally agree Rob, could you imagine the embarrassment if you was christened with one of these usernames.
    But apart from that if Rio Ferdinand had hidden behind a username when passing comment on Ashley Cole the FA might not have been able to identify him, regulate the situation or impose a fine.

Whatever the reason, if someone's real name was used for identity they might be reluctant to post anything that might be subject to censorship or libellous action and possibly protect the forum.

Fair enough. Practice what you both preach and use your full names and stick your photos and home addresses in your profiles

• Options

Mr Irving:

produce a board that 'examined the essence of leading a Charlton life'.

I thought the Ambrose thread and this one were doing that. Matter of opinion though.

My opinion is that you're a troll so its bye bye from me.

• Options

mickc said:

BIG_ROB said:

Fair enough. Practice what you both preach and use your full names and stick your photos and home addresses in your profiles

I already do, not sure about me home address though "Henry" ; )
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

mickc said:

BIG_ROB said:

No, only your first name. And why not your full name and address? You wanted the openness.

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

mickc said:

BIG_ROB said:

No, only your first name. And why not your full name and address? You wanted the openness.

Yeah, you're right. You first..
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

mickc said:

BIG_ROB said:

No, you're idea so only fair you set the example.

Anyway, I think most people know who are am anyway and that I live in Bromley : - )
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

mickc said:

BIG_ROB said:

No, you're idea so only fair you set the example.

Anyway, I think most people know who are am anyway and that I live in Bromley : - )
    Oh yeah, I know who you are now!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Excuse my ignorance but can somebody tell me what a troll is.
  • Options
    I find myself shaking my head at yet another thread that challenges the Moderators decision to censor some activities on here.

This is a brilliant forum. It is completely unique both in Charlton terms and certainly in respect of other club sites that I have viewed.

It does require moderating to keep it unique. If it wasn't moderated, it would morph into something different, something less unique and more like the banter filled, cyber-warrior filled sites that most of us give a wide birth. I do post on other sites but I feel most at home here. In the end we have a choice. That is where freedom comes into things.

There is no such thing as complete freedom of speech. If other sites don't moderate so diligently, it probably means that few people are too interested in the opinions aired. That clearly is not the case with CL. Those that care about what is written know that they need to keep an eye on the best football forum of them all.